Subtitles for Episode 1 – The Guest from Afar

你好 您好
Hello! Hello!

你好吗
How are you?

我很好
I’m fine.

您好 您好
Hello! Hello!

麦苗 苏珊
Mai Miao! Susan!

你先说 女士优先嘛
Go ahead, ladies first.

咱们两个都是女的
We’re both ladies!

你确定吗
Are you sure?


What?!

你确定
Are you sure

我真的能去你舅舅家过年吗
I can spend the Spring Festival at your uncle’s home?

那当然啦
Of course!

对了 苏珊 我现在有点事情要去办
Susan, I’ve got something to handle first.

我一会儿来接你好吗
I’ll come back in a moment to you to my home, okay?

不用接
You don’t have to take me there.

我们可以在你家门口集合
We’ll meet at the gate of your home.

好啊
Okay.

这样 我先给舅舅打个电话
Well, I’ll call my uncle first to ask him

让他在门口接你一下
to wait for you at the gate.


Okay.

你说你这犟老头
You stubborn old man!

都多大岁数了
You’re no longer young

每年都要亲自贴对联
You don’t have to paste up the couplets personally every year.

今年让孩子贴一次不行吗
Why not let the kids do it this year.

不行 一年就这一出
No. It’s done only once a year.

得我来
I have to do it myself.

家里没人
No one at home.

可能是办年货去了
Maybe they are all gone shopping for the Spring Festival.

这样吧 苏珊 我有家里的地址
Well, Susan, here’s my home address.

你按照这个地址
According to this address,

可以找得到家吗
can you find my home?

可以 没问题
Sure, no problem.

苏珊就是GPS嘛
I, Susan, am a GPS myself.

紫笋破冰辞旧岁
The bamboo shoots break ice to send away the old year.

红梅得意闹新春
The red plums bloom gaily to greet the new spring.

迎春接福
Happy Spring.

我来 我来 哎呀 好嘞
Let me do it. Oh, good.

哎哟 电话
Oh, the phone is ringing.

快听电话
Get the phone, quick.


Hello?

哟 挂了
Oh, it’s disconnected.

可能是拜年的
Perhaps someone giving us New Year greetings.

你这短跑速度太慢
You ran too slowly.

你快你接呀
Go get it quick.

这我拿着梯子呢
I’m carrying this ladder.

来了 来了 看这速度
Coming, coming! Look, how fast!

你就在跟前呢
It’s right by your side.

您好
Hello…

嗨 是你呀
Who is this? Oh, its you?

谁呀
Who?

咱大儿子
Our older son.

大伟 什么事儿
Dawei, what’s it?

哦 你订了一个蛋糕
Oh, you ordered a cake and

一会儿有专人给送来
someone will deliver it here soon…

好好好
Okay.

你说谁小鸡呢 说谁小鸡呢
Who is chicken? Who is chicken?

还想不想要鞭炮了
Don’t you want firecrackers anymore?

我是小鸡
I’m chicken.

这还差不多
That’s more like it.

对不起 I’m sorry!
I’m sorry!

对不起
I’m sorry!

还说中国话呢 你好
She even speaks Chinese! Hello.

你好
Hi!

你好吗 我刚才没碰到你吧
How are you? I didn’t touch you, right?

我很好
I’m okay.

就是不会走路
Only… I can’t walk now.

啊 我刚才没踩到您的脚吧
Oh, but I didn’t step on your foot!

No No 我想说我不会认路
Oh, I mean I can’t find the street I’m looking for

你知道北街在哪里吗
Do you know where Beijie Street is?

北街 那边
Beijie? In that direction.

那边呢
In that direction?

谢谢
Thank you.

别客气
You’re welcome.

再见
Goodbye.

哎 不对
Hey, you’re wrong.

怎么了
Why?

小叔 你给人家指错路了
Uncle, you misdirected her.

北街呀在咱家的这边
Beijie is in the direction of our home.

那边你指的是南街
You pointed to Nanjie Street.

南面 北边
South… north…

哦 我是指错了
I did misdirect her!

喂 跑这么快
Hey, she runs so fast!

难道是外国飞毛腿吗
Is she a foreign fast runner?

小叔啊 你这么聪明的人
Uncle, you’re a clever man.

连东南西北都不认识了
But why can’t you tell the directions?

这不都是让你给闹的吗
Just because you were so naughty.

还好地球是圆的
Fortunately the earth is round.

怎么绕都能绕回来
She’d come back sooner or later.

走 买鞭炮去
Let’s go and buy firecrackers.

***

Ni hao! / Nin hao!
你好! / 您好!
Hello!

“你好”是人们最常用的问候语
“Ni hao” is the most common word for greeting,

任何时间 任何场合
Used anytime, anyplace,

及任何身份的人都可以使用
and by anybody.

对方的回答也是“你好”
The person greeted should also say “ni hao” in reply.

如果要表示礼貌和尊敬 就用“您好”
“Nin hao” implies more politeness and respect.

您好
Hello.

您好
Hello.

请问, 您去哪儿
May I ask where you’re going?

我去这个地方
I want to go to this place.

请上车吧
Please get in the car.

唐阿姨 您好
Hello, Aunt Tang.

是小田啊 好久不见了
Oh, Xiao Tian. Long time no see.

是啊 我们搬家了
Sure. We have moved.

您和李叔叔都好吗
How you and uncle Li are doing?

我们都很好
We’re both fine.

你爸爸 妈妈好吗
How about your dad and mom?

他们也都挺好的
They are both fine, too.

***

喂 麦苗 你在哪里
Hello, Mai Miao, where are you?

我现在还在半路上呢
I’m still on the way.

这样吧 你再说一遍你家里地址
I think you’d better tell me your home address again.

我 我好像迷路了
I seem to have lost my way.

啊 你迷路啦
You lost your way?

那这样 我让我哥哥去接你
Then I’ll send my cousin to take you there.

你现在在哪儿呢
Where are you?

我也不知道呢
I don’t know.

干吗
What’s the matter?

你想帮我拿鞭炮吗
Do you want to carry the firecrackers for me?

我什么时候说要帮你拿了呀
When did I say I would help you to carry them?

我是说先放完鞭炮再回家 行吗
I mean to set off a few firecrackers before going home, okay?

不行 走 回家
No way. Let’s go home.

是大伟两口子回来了
Dawei and Xiaoya are back?

是小伟和乐乐回来了
Xiaowei and Le Le are back?

是麦苗回来了
Mai Miao is back?

我来开门吧 你又争
You don’t have to compete with me in opening the door.

你说成天跟我抢
You vie with me in everything all day long.

你们好
Hello, everyone.

哦 是送蛋糕的
Oh, the cake delivery boy.

哦 你看 还是个外国姑娘
Oh, look, even a foreign girl!

把蛋糕给我吧
Give the cake to me.

苏珊见到你们很高兴
I’m so pleased to see you.

我们见到你也很高兴
We’re also very pleased to see you.

赶紧把蛋糕钱给人家结了
Settle the account with her.

多少钱
How much?


What?

什么多少钱
How much what?

就这个蛋糕多少钱
How much do we pay for the cake?

你们一定要知道吗
You really want to know?

我们不知道怎么付款呢
We don’t know how to pay you.

已经给过钱了
I was already paid for.

哦 大伟已经交过钱了
Oh Dawei has already paid for it.

刚才电话里我没听清楚
I didn’t hear it clearly on the phone.

大伟是谁
Who is Dawei?

我们儿子啊
Our son.

苏珊买的蛋糕
I bought the cake.

交钱的人怎么成了他们的儿子呢
How come their son had paid for it?

送完蛋糕 她怎么不走啊
Why she doesn’t leave afer delivering cake?

这孩子累了
Is she tired?

姑娘 你要是累
Miss, if you’re tired,

就坐那儿歇会儿 喝水
sit down to have a rest and drink some water.

好好好 谢谢
Okay, thank you.

吃点儿瓜子
Eat some sunflower seeds?

谢谢 谢谢
Thanks, thanks.

现在送蛋糕的还有外国人呢
They even employ foreigner to deliver cakes.

估计今天是大年三十
Today is the Lunar New Year’s Eve.

中国人都放假了
I guess all Chinese workers are on holiday.

这才雇了外国的临时工 临时替班
so they hired foreigners as temporary workers.

哦 这是临时工也是学生
Oh, it’s really hard for these students

多辛苦啊
working as temporary workers!

他们也不知道咱们这儿的道儿
They must be unfamiliar with the roads here.

是啊 姑娘 我们这儿好找吗
Yeah, Miss, did you find the place here very easily?

本来好找
I would have so.

不过有一位先生指错了方向
But a gentleman misdirected me.

好不容易转回来了
It really wasn’t easy for me to find you here.

真够气人的
I’m shocked to hear it.

就是 瞎给指
Sure, what an irresponsibe guide!

哎哟 你走啊
Oh, you’re leaving?

再见
Goodbye.

我可以参观参观吗
May I take a look at the rooms?

你要参观
Take a look at the rooms?

参观就参观呗
Let her do as she pleases.

什么意思啊
What does she mean?

我不知道啊
I don’t know.

你们家我很喜欢
I like your home very much!

谢谢
Thank you.

谢谢 谢谢
Thank you.

我的房间在哪里
Where is my room?

你的房间
Your room?

对对对 就是我住的地方
Yes, the place where I’m going to sleep.

你还要住这儿
You even want to live here?!

快开门 看看谁来了
Open the door! See who is back?

她倒不认生
She is not at all shy with strangers!

请进
Come in,

你好 李大伟先生订的蛋糕
Hello, this is the cake Mr. Li Dawei has ordered.

怎么回事儿啊
What’s the matter?

我们问问她
Let’s ask her.

姑娘
Miss.

我回来了
I’m back.

Hi 小朋友 你还记得我吗
Hi, young friend, do you still remember me?

记得记得记得
Yes, I do.

阿姨 你是美国人吗
Aunt, are you American?

是 好聪明的小帅哥
Yes. What a bright, handsome boy you are!

她认识咱们孙子
She knows our grandson!

麦苗 我刚才一直放鞭炮呢
Mai Miao, just now I were setting off some firecrackers,

这你给我打电话我也没听着
so I didn’t hear my phone ring when you called.

行 那我马上去接她
Okay, I’ll go at once to bring her here.

指路先生
Mr. Guide.

苏珊 我正准备去接你呢
Susan? I was just about to go to greet you.

哦 她是不是小伟的女朋友啊
Oh is she Xiaowei’s girlfriend!

怪不得说要住这儿呀
No wonder she wants to live in our home.

他怎么不早说一声
Why, Xiaowei didn’t tell us earlier?

小伟 过来 过来
Xiaowei, come over here!

快点
Quick!

什么呀
What is it?

不像话
You’ve gone too far!

干吗要瞒着我们
Why did you keep us in the dark?

你怎么不早说呀
Why not tell us earlier?

闹了好大误会
What a big mistake we made!

别怨指路先生
Don’t blame Mr. Guide.

他指错路是因为
He misdirected me because..

小伟 是你给人家把路指错的
Xiaowei, actually it’s you who misdirected her!

你应该跟人家一块回来嘛
You should have come together with her!

再说 来就来吧
Besides, it’s okay for her to come.

你让人家买蛋糕干什么
But why did you ask her to buy us a cake?

你看 两个蛋糕了都
Look, now we’ve got two cakes here.

爸 妈
Dad! Mom!

你是他们的儿子
Actually, you’re their son?

你刚知道
You just found it out?


Yes.

这么重要的信息怎么才告诉啊
You’ve just told her this important information?

哎哟 冤枉啊
Oh, I’m wronged!

我回来了
I’m back.

我回来得还不晚吧 苏珊
Am I coming home too late, Susan?

麦苗
Mai Miao!

麦苗 麦苗 这这这
Mai Miao! Mai Miao,…

我来解释 我来解释
Okay, let me explain.

这个是我的好朋友苏珊
She is my good friend Susan.

她今年第一次在中国过春节
As it is Susan’s first Spring Festival in China.

所以我就把她请到咱家来
I invited her to our home.

在中国过个欢欢喜喜的年
to spend a happy Spring Festival with us!

是这么回事儿
That’s what it’s all about.

这么回事
Oh, I see.

欢迎 欢迎
Welcome! Welcome!

苏珊 我给你介绍一下
Susan, let me introduce them to you.

这位是我的舅舅
This is my uncle

这位是我的舅妈
This is my aunt.

这位呢是小伟
This is Xiaowei.

我叫乐乐
My name is Le Le!

***

Ni shi mei guo ren ma?
你是美国人吗?
Are you American?

在陈述句后边
In Chinese, an interrogative sentence

加上语气词“吗”
can be formed by adding the modal word “ma”

就构成了汉语的疑问句
to the end of a declarative sentence.

请问 这是北街吗
Excuse me, is this Beijie Street?

不是 北街在那边
No, Beijie Street is over there.

哦 谢谢您
Oh, thank you.

二叔 你去哪儿
Uncle, where’re you going?

去买鞭炮
I’m going to buy firecrackers.

你想跟我一块儿去吗
Are you going with me?

当然想 我要买好多好多鞭炮
Sure. I want to buy many, many firecrackers.

你有钱吗
Do you have money?

我没有 你有啊
No, but you have.

***

都这时候了
It’s getting late.

大伟两口子怎么还不回来呀
Why Dawei and his wife haven’t back yet?

就是
Indeed, why?

我们回来了
Hi, we’re back.

回来了 回来了
They’re back!

你们是不是都在等着我们呀
Are you all waiting for us?

俩蛋糕
Two cakes?

这个是苏珊买的
This is the one Susan bought.

苏珊
Susan?

我来介绍一下
Let me introduce you.

这位是我的大表哥
This is my elder cousin.

这位呢是我的大表嫂
And this my cousin-in-law.

你们好
Hello!

你好
Hello!

你好
Hi.

我正式来介绍一下自己 我叫苏珊
Let me formally introduce myself. My name is Susan.

我对东方文化非常崇拜
I adore Chinese culture.

我在美国上过孔子学院
I once attended a Confucius institute in America.

但是还是觉得不够
But I thought that wasn’t enough.

于是飞到中国 学习深造来了
So I flew to China to further my studies.

欢迎欢迎
Welcome!

好 “有朋自远方来 不亦乐乎”
All right, “How happy we are to meet friends from afar!”

什么“乐乎”
What “le hu”?

就是说你大老远地来了
It means you came all the way here;

我们非常地欢迎你
We’re all very happy to meet you as our friend.

谢谢 谢谢
Thank you. Thank you.

来吧 大家入席
Come on, take a seat everyone.

来来来
Come on.

让我们为了新年举杯
Let’s raise our glasses and drink a toast to the New Year!

过年好
Happy New Year!

Advertisements