Subtitles for Episode 10 – Susan’s Treat

哎 昨天小勇向我表达感情
Yesterday, Xiaoyong expressed to me his affection for me.

我没听错吧
Did I hear it wrong?

你再说一遍
Say it again.

感情 他向我表达感情
Affection, he expressed his affection to me.

不会吧
It’s unlikely.

真的
It’s true.

那你说什么
What did he say?

我当然同意了
Of course, he agreed.

怎么可能
It’s impossible.

小勇不是对你有意思吗?
Is Xiaoyong interested in you?


Cut it out.

苏珊 小勇怎么向你表达的感情
Susan, how did Xiaoyong express his affection to you?

他什么时候对你有感情的
When did he begin to show his affection for you?

他具体都对你说了些什么
Did he say anything specific to you?

昨天他说
Yesterday, he said

店里新添了烤鸭
he had added roast duck to his restaurant’s food varieties,

让我去吃
and asked me to go eat there.

就这一句
Just this?

没别的
Nothing else.

闹了半天是这样
That’s what all this fuss is about.

小勇请她去吃烤鸭 请她去消费
Xiaoyong asked her to eat there as a consumer,

他很热情
He was quite enthusiastic.

对对对
Yes, yes.

啊 对呀 是热情
Oh yeah, he was very enthusiastic,

不是感情 热情
not affectionate.

烤鸭很香很好吃
Roast duck is very delicious.

中午一起去吃吧
Let’s eat if for lunch together.

真抱歉 我中午得回一趟学校
Sorry, I’ve got to go back to school at noon.

真不好意思 我还得去拍片子
I’m sorry. I have to go take pictures.

我和小伟今天都没有时间陪你去
Neither Xiaowei nor I have time to go with you today.

改天吧 我请客
Some other day, I’ll stand treat.


Okay.

那不行 今天必须去吃
No, I must go and eat there today.

为什么
Why?

不去 就对不起小勇的感情
If I didn’t go, I would fail his affection.

热情
His enthusiasm!

热情
His enthusiasm?

什么
What?

请我们一起去吃烤鸭
Invite us to eat roast duck?

好啊
Good.

这烤鸭我一次能吃半只
I can eat half a duck in one meal.

哇 你的胃那么大
Wow, you have so big a stomach!

说饭量大更妥当一些
It’s more appropriate to say to have a big appetite.

饭量
Appetite?

老伴 你多大岁数了
My old man, how old are you?

五十七
I’m 57.

快奔六十的人了 你少吃点肉
You’re reaching almost 60. You’d better eat less meat.

这不是苏珊请客嘛
It’s Susan who stands treat.

我能不多吃点儿
How can I eat less?

你多吃青菜
You should eat more vegetables.

烤鸭只许吃五片
You’ll be allowed to eat only five slices of ro​​ast duck.

这也太吊人胃口了
It sounds a bit too tantalizing.

舅妈 你可以吃半只
Aunt, you can eat half a duck.

哎哟 我吃不了那么多
Oh, I can’t eat that much.

剩下的我来完成
I’ll finish the remaining part for you.

浪费可不好
There’ll be no waste.

那我们出发吧
Let’s go.

好 出发
Okay, let’s go.

好 换衣服
Okay, let me change.

哟 大爷大妈来了
Oh, Uncle and Aunt, here you are!

快快快 快请坐 快
Come on in and take a seat, please.

我们的小店除了保持原来的特色
Our regular menu has remained unchanged,

还新添了烤鸭
Now we have roast duck as a new addition.

苏珊带我们来
Susan took us here

就是要品尝你们的烤鸭
just for the purpose of testing your roast duck.

好好施展你们的手艺
So please show us your culinary skills.

放心吧
Rest assured.

我们的烤鸭外焦里嫩
Our roast duck is crispy outside and tender inside,

肥而不腻
fat but not oily,

回味无穷
with a long-lasting lingering flavor.

苏珊 来得够快的
Susan, you came so swiftly.

昨天刚说完 今天就来了
We talked about it only yesterday and today you came.

我是为了表达感情
I came to express my affection.

感情
Affection?

哎呀 是热情 热情
Oh, to express my enthusiasm.

因为你热情 所以我也热情
Because you are enthusiastic, I’m enthusiastic, too.

吓我一跳
You nearly startled me.

好好好 谢谢
Okay, thanks.

不客气
You’re welcome.

哟 这姑娘长得真漂亮
Oh, what a beautiful girl we are!

你今年多大了
How old are you?

二十
20.

这三位是贵客啊
These three are my distinguished guests.

服务一定要周到
Take good care of them.

你们先点菜
You’d better make your order first.

我先忙去了
I’ve leave you to attend to other matters.

有什么需要尽管吩咐
If you have any need, please let me know.

千万别客气啊
Be sure not to stand on ceremony.

苏珊 那就不客气了
Susan, I’ll not stand on ceremony.

别客气 别客气
Don’t stand on ceremony.

点吧 点吧
Please order now.


Nín duōdà niánjì le?
您 多大 年纪 了?
How old are you?

Nǐ duōdà le?
你 多大 了?
What’s your age?
How old are you?

【询问年龄】

用汉语询问别人年龄的时候
The following are the ways

一般可以这样问
to ask in Chinese about someone’s age.

如果对方是小朋友
If the person you ask is a child,

你可以问“你多大了”
you may say, “Ni duo da le?”

【你几岁了】

或者“你几岁了”
or “Ni ji sui le?”

【你多大了? 】

如果对方是年轻人
If the person you ask is young,

你也可以问“你多大了”
you may say, “Ni duo da le?”

【你十/二十几了? 】

还可以根据对方的相貌
You may also have a rough assessment of

先做出一个简单的年龄判断
the person’s age based on his/he​​r appearance,

然后再询问
then say:

比如 你十几了
Example: “Ni shi ji le?”,
(for a teenager)

你二十几了
“Ni ershi ji le?”
(for a person above 20)

如果对方看起来年龄比较大
If the person you ask is old,

【您多大年纪了? 】

你可以问
you may ask by saying,

您多大年纪了
“Nin duo da nianji le?”
(How old are you?)

当回答别人的询问时
The person asked,

如果年龄在十岁以上
If aged above 10,

口语中常常省略“岁”
often omits the word “sui” in answering a question about his/he​​r age.

比如 你多大了
Example: “Ni duo da le?”
(How old are you?)

十一
“Shi yi.” (I am 11.)

小伟 我喜欢你拍的这张
Xiaowei, I like this picture you shot.

你看 这一家多幸福啊
Look, what a happy family!

这是我们的邻居王姐一家
This is the family of Sister Wang, our neighbor.

这是他们的儿子吧
Is this their son?

真可爱
How lovely!

他今年几岁
How old is he?

四岁 他叫小虎
Four. His name is Xiao Hu.

小虎 为什么叫小虎
Xiao Hu? Why is he called Xiao Hu?


Oh?

老人家 您的身体真棒
Sir, you look in such excellent health.

这是因为我每天都坚持练这个太极剑
That’s because I practice Taiji sword=play every day.

您今年多大年纪了
How old are you?

你猜猜
Give it a guess.

你觉得您最多七十岁
I think, at most, 70.

八十五了
I’m 85 now.

真的
Really?

看来 我也得练太极剑了
It seems I should also practice Taiji sword-play.


烤鸭好吃
The roast duck is delicious and

鸭汤也好喝
the duck soup also tastes very good.

鸭汤营养丰富
Duck soup is nutritious.

多喝一点 有益健康
It’s good for health to eat more of such soup.

鸭肉你也没少吃
You also ate a lot of duck meat.

这一个鸭子快让他一人吃完了
You alone almost ate up the whole duck.

那谁让你们两位女士吃得少呢
That’s becuase you two ladies ate too little.

三位 吃得怎么样
The three of you, how do you like the food?

味道好极了
It tastes pretty good.

一定要再来
We’ll come again.

欢迎欢迎
You’re welcome.

对 多少钱
Yeah, how much?

一共是一百六十六
Altogether 166.

都是老客户了
But since you’re my old customers,

打个八析 一百三十二
You’ll pay only 80 percent, 132 yuan.

一百三十二除以三
132 divided by 3…

每个人四十四块钱
44 yuan per person.

小勇 五十
Xiaoyong, 50.

五十啊
What, 50?

是 你要找我六块
Yes. You should give me 6 yuan as the change.


What?

不找零也行
I can go without the change.

当小费
Take is as my tip for you.

这个
What?

她怎么请咱们吃饭
How come she invited us to lunch,

就拿她一个人的钱呢
but paid only for herself?

这可太意外了
It’s beyond my expectation.

舅舅 舅妈
Uncle, Aunt,

你们该结账了
you ought to pay the check now.

哦 我明白了 明白了
Oh, I see.

苏珊是跟咱们呀在AA制
Susan wants to go Dutch with us.

她是从讲究AA制那个地方来的
She came from the place where people are accustomed to going Dutch.

按照他们的习惯呢
According to their custom,

她请客人吃饭
if someone invites her guests to dinner,

可是客人呢各人要付各人的账
each of the guests has to pay for their own meal.

那就是我们三个人
That is to say,

每个人出四十四
each of us three has to pay 44.

哎 对对对
Right.

不过咱们就别AA制了
But the two of us don’t have to go Dutch.

我替你出了
I’ll pay for you.

哎哟
Oh!

干嘛呀
What’s the matter?

我没带钱 你呢
I don’t have any money with me. And you?


Oh!

我就带几个钢鏰
I only have a few coins.

哎呀 这几个钢鏰儿
Oh, these few coins

连个鸭脖子都买不了啊
are barely enough to pay for the duck neck.

我哪儿知道
I didn’t know it would be like this.

大爷大妈 商量什么呢
Uncle, Aunt, what are you discussing?

商量着替苏珊买单
Are you discussing how to pay the check for Susan?

要不我把这五十还给她
Should I give the 50 yuan back to her?


No.

怎么了
What’s the matter?

没事儿 没事儿
Nothing, nothing.

来来 小勇啊 来来来
Come over here, Xiaoyong.

我跟你商量个事儿啊
I have a word with you.

没带钱
I didn’t bring any money with me.

哦 没带钱
Oh, you brought no money with you?

你小点声儿
Don’t be so loud.

你们没带钱
You brought no money with you?

不是不是
Not really.

我们钱没带够
We didn’t bring enough money with us.

不够没关系
It doesn’t matter if you don’t have enough.

给个整数就行
It’s okay just to pay a round figure.

哎呀 你大妈手里就有几个钢鏰儿
Oh, I only have a few coins in my hand.

我们不是故意的
We’re not intentional.

没关系 我这里有
It doesn’t matter, I have money here.

这多不好意思这
I’d feel embarrassed.

就是
Yeah.

八十八块钱 是吧
88 yuan, right?

来 我先替你们付
Come on. Let me pay it for you.

苏珊 一回家我们就还你
Susan, we’ll repay it to you when we get back.

一定还
We will.

啊 好
Sure, okay.

我真没想到
I didn’t expect

他们没带钱 他们难过
they were so upset because they didn’t have money with them.

难过
They were upset?


Yes.

不至于吧
It’s unlikely.

就是不好意思
I mean they were so embarrassed.

那你去之前
Before you went out,

你怎么跟他们说的
what did you say to them?

我说我请他们俩一起吃烤鸭
I said I’d invite them to eat roast duck.

这就难怪了
Then you shouldn’t feel it strange.

在中国
In China,

如果你主动提出和别人一起吃饭
if you suggest eating with someone on your own initiative,

那就代表着你要请客
it means that you’ll stand the cost.

本来就是我请客
Yes, I invited them.

可是按照我们的习惯
But according to our custom,

“请客”就是你掏钱请别人吃饭
“qing ke” means to stand treat.

客人的饭费完全由你来付
The host has to pay for the food of the guests.

不执行AA制
You don’t go Dutch?


No.

原来是这样子
Oh, I see.

怪不得舅舅舅妈没带钱
No wonder Uncle and Aunt didn’t have any money with them.

对呀 既然你请客
Right. Since you invited them,

他们当然不用带饭钱了
naturally they wouldn’t take money with them.

麦苗 我还追着他们结账
Mai Miao, I even urged them to pay their check.

我这都不好意思了
Now I feel embarrassed myself.

这事儿也怪我
I’m to blame.

我提前告诉你就好了
I should have told you this beforehand.

他们借我八十八块钱
They borrowed 88 yuan from me.

那就不用还了吧
Now they needn’t pay it back to me.

不 这个钱还是要还的
That’s not right. This money must be repaid.

不用还 就算我请客嘛
No, I consider it a treat I gave them.

这是两回事儿
These are two different kinds of things.

为什么
Why?

这个 我
Because… I?

苏珊 苏珊
Susan, Suan…

舅妈
Aunt…

不好意思啊 来
I’m sorry. Take it.

这是你给垫的那八十八块钱
This is 88 yuan, the money you lent us.

拿着
Take it.

不用还
You needn’t repay it.

一定要还的 拿着
I must repay it. Take it.

真的 真的不用还
Really, you don’t need to repay it.

我错了
It’s my fault.

你没错
It’s not your fault.

是我们错了
It’s our fault.

快拿着 拿着
Take it quickly.

不用还
You needn’t repay it.

麦苗
Mai Miao…

苏珊 你就收下吧
Susan, you’d better take it.

我不能收下
I can’t take it.

一定收下
You must take it.

对 收下收下
Yes, take it, take it.

那好吧 我收下
Okay, I take it.


Wǒ mò dài qián, nǐ ne?
我 没 带 钱,你 呢?
I have no money with me. How about you?

Wǒ chī bǎo le, nǐmen ne?
我 吃 饱 了,你们 呢?
I’m full. How about you?

【名词性短语+“呢”】

在一定的上下文中
In a certain context,

汉语中的助词“呢”
before the Chinese auxiliary word “ne”,

前面可以只有一个名词性成分
There can be a noun composition.

有的时候是问“在哪儿”
The pattern is used to mean “where”,

【在哪儿】

比如 我的钱呢
e.g. “Wode qian ne?”
(Where’s my money?),

【⋯⋯怎么样】

有的时候是问“⋯⋯怎么样”
or “how”.

比如 我会常来的
e.g. “Wo hui chang lai de. Nimen ne?”

你们呢
(I’ll come here often. How about you?)

小雅 我的那条深灰色的领带呢
Xiaoya, where’s my gray necktie?

就在衣柜里呀
It’s in the wardrobe.

没有啊
No, it isn’t.

怎么会没有呢
How come it isn’t?

乐乐 你
Le Le…!

小伟 苏珊呢
Xiaowei, where’s Susan?

你看 在那儿呢
Look, she’s over there.

苏珊 咱们走吧
Susan, let’s go.

等一下
Wait a minute.

你们看 多好玩儿啊
Look, how interesting it is!

我想买一个
I want to buy one.

这是我三岁的时候玩儿的
This is the kind of toy I played when I was three.

谁说二十三岁就不能玩儿了
You mean a 23-year-old can’t play it?

哎呀 糟糕 让你​​们知道我的年龄了
Oh, my gosh, I told you my age.


那天要不是人家苏珊带钱多
That day, if Susan didn’t take enough money with her,

咱们太没面子了
we’d have lost our face.

那天确实太让人尴尬了
That day, it was surely an embarrassing situation.

对呀
Yes indeed.

为了挽回面子
To save our face,

咱们得请苏珊吃一顿
we should invite Susan to dinner.

那可是苏珊请客的方式是AA制啊
But that was Susan’s go-Dutch dinner.

各拿各的钱
Each of us paid for their own food.

看来这面子还挽不回来了
There seems no chance to save our face.

对呀
Right.

舅舅 舅妈好
Uncle, Aunt, how are you?

苏珊 来
Susan, come here.

告诉舅妈 你今天想吃什么
Tell me what to want to eat today.

我给你做
I’ll cook it for you.

我想请你们到外面吃
I want to invite you to eat out.

我请客
I stand treat.

不不不 前几天你已经请过一回了
No, no, you already invited us a few days ago.

对呀
Right.

这次我们请 我们请
This time, we stand treat.

不不不 上次不够正式
No. The lunch we had last time wasn’t formal enough.

这次要正式一点
It’s going to be a bit formal this time.

还要着正装出席
Do we have to dress formally?

你说的那个“正式一点儿”
What do you mean “a bit formal”?

去了
When we are there,

一切听我 OK
you’ll do whatever I ask you to do, okay?


Okay.

我吃饱了 你们呢
I’m full. How about you?

我们也吃得很饱
We’re also very full.

今天的烤鸭比上次还好吃
Today’s roast duck is even better than that we ate last time.

既然你这么喜欢吃烤鸭
Since you like roast duck so much,

以后啊
from now on,

咱们每一个月至少请你吃一次
we should invite you to eat at least one a month.

我请客 请你们呢
I stand treat. I invite you here.

都一样
It doesn’t make any difference.

三位今天吃得怎么样啊
How do the three of you like to food today?

很好吃 很棒
It’s very delicious, very good.

谢谢夸奖
Thank you for you compliment.

小勇啊
Xiaoyong…


Yes.

看看一共多少钱
Tell us how much altogether.

一共一百五十一块
151 yuan altogether.

还是八折 一百二十块
80 percent of it is 120 yuan.

除以三 一人四十
Divided by 3, 40 for each person.

这回我才弄明白了 AA制
Now I understand you’re going Dutch?

不不 今天是我请客
No, no, today I stand treat.

苏珊 你说的“请客”
Susan, the “qing ke” you said

跟我们这个“请客”它不是一个意思
is different from the Chinese “qing ke”.

是一个意思 我出全部的钱
It means the same. I’ll pay all the cost.

不行不行 一定要AA制
No, no. Let’s go Dutch.

你是学生 不能让你掏钱
You’re a student. We can’t let you pay.

一定要AA制
We must go Dutch.

不不不 我反对
No, I don’t stand for it.

到底怎么结
How are you going to pay the check, after all?

AA制
We’ll go Dutch.

请客
“Qing ke”!

AA制 AA制 AA制
Go Dutch! GO dutch!

别A了 别A了
Don’t go Dutch.

都一样 都一样啊
It makes no difference.

还是AA制好
It’s better to go Dutch.


Right.

啊 不 我是
Oh, no. I mean…

我们说好了 我请客
As I said earlier, I’ll stand treat.

不不 AA制还真是不错
No, it’s better to go Dutch.

Advertisements