Subtitles for Episode 106 – Sweet Misunderstanding

你好啊 欢迎光临
Hi. Welcome to our restaurant!

你会说中国语
You can speak Chinese?

说得不好 请多原谅
Not very well. I hope you don’t mind.

你是俄罗斯的
Are you Russian?

不 她是正宗的纽约客
No. I’m an authentic New Yorker.

纽约的 Hello 啊
From New York City? Hello.

老乡见老乡 两眼泪汪汪啊
When two folks meet away from home, they are moved to tears.

我们怎么可能是老乡
How can you be one of my folks?

我在纽约读书
I’m studying in New York.

咱们也算是半个老乡吧
So you can count me at least as half folk of yours.

那对半个老乡要热情服务
Yes. I must serve my half folk very warmly.

来来 请点菜
Come on, please order your food.

哎哎 我不是来吃饭的
Oh, I’m not here to eat.

到饭店不吃饭
If you are not eating here,

那还能干什么呢
what else are you going to do here?

你不是来捣乱的吧
Aren’t you here to make trouble?

哎哎 别别别 别误会
Oh, don’t misunderstand me.

我绝对不是来捣乱的 我是好人
I’m no troublemaker here. I’m a good buy.

你真的不是来捣乱的
You really didn’t come to make trouble?

别说 你们把这儿打理得还不错
To my surprise, they do keep this place very tidy and clean.

我就知道 小勇肯定开不下去
I knew Xiaoyong wouldn’t keep it for long.

谁呀这么瞧不起我
Who is belittling me like that?

小勇
Xiaoyong!

哎呀 小杰
Oh, Xiaojie!

我说这五年不见 你竟然都混成服务员了
I haven’t seen you for five years, and you have turned into a waiter.

不过没关系
But that doesn’t matter.

好歹这也是个外企
This is at least a foreign-owned restaurant.

得了吧
You’re wrong.

我才是这餐馆的老板
I’m the proprietor of this restaurant.

那她
Who is she?

她叫苏珊 留学生
Her name is Susan, a foreign student.

有时间就来餐馆打工
She works here part-time.

咳 我还以为你让人家给收购了
Hey, I thought she had taken over your restaurant.

哎呀 我给你们介绍一下
Oh. Let me introduce you.

嗨 我是小杰
Hi. I’m Xiaojie.

这是我的好朋友小勇
This is my good friend Xiaoyong.

其实 你不用总嗨嗨的
Actually you needn’t always say “hi”.

我更习惯说“你好”
I’m more accustomed to saying “ni hao”.

你好
“Ni hao!”

刚才你没来的时候
When you were not here,

他们还以为我是到这儿捣乱的呢
they thought I had come to make trouble.

知道老板认出你
I wasn’t relieved

我才算一块石头落了地
until my boss recognized you.

来来 坐坐坐
Come on, sit down.


Sure.

慢点儿啊
Be careful.

坐坐坐坐
Sit down, please.

你别说 着美国姑娘还真能干
Yes, indeed, this American girl is very competent.

苏珊可是我们这儿的明星服务员
Susan is the star waitress here.

她的微笑迷倒了一大片顾客
Her smile has captivated a large number of our customers.

我在美国的餐馆里也打过工
I’ve also worked part-time at restaurants in America.

我觉得我跟她一定特有共同语言
I think I must have a common language with her.

苏珊的工作时间 请勿打扰
Susan is at work. Please don’t harass her.

那我明天来行吗
Can I come tomorrow?

行 但是她不来
Sure. But she won’t come tomorrow.

那她哪天来我哪天来
I’ll come any day she is here.

你来了 赶快来帮忙
There you come. Help me quickly.

苏珊来了吗
Did Susan come here?

今天还真来了
She did come today.

太好了
Great!

十分钟前又走了
But she left ten minutes ago.

你怎么不早说呀
Why didn’t you say it sooner?

哎呀 哎呦我的腰啊
Oh, oh, my back!

你这重色轻友的家伙
You are a guy who puts love above friendship!

小勇啊 怎么了
Xiaoyong, what’s the matter?

都怪小杰
Xiaojie is to blame!

都怪我自己不小心
My carelessness is also to blame.

你没跟小姐去听音乐会呀
You didn’t go with Xiaojie for a concert?

音乐会
A concert?

是啊 他买了两张票
Yes. He bought two tickets.

他想请你去听音乐会呀
He must have wanted to invite you to the concert.

哦 我哪有那福分哪
Oh, I wasn’t that lucky.

他一定失去请苏珊了
He must have invited Susan.

就是在老李家住的那个苏珊
The Susan who lives with the Li family?

对 他为了追苏珊
Yes. He took a fancy to Susan

不惜闪了老朋友的腰
at the cost of spraining my back.

太好了
Wonderful!

太好了
Wonderful?

我最着急小杰的婚事啊
I’m most concerned about Xiaojie’s marriage.

如果儿子结了婚
On when my son gets married,

我也算一块石头落了地呀
I will be relieved of my worries.

结婚 大妈 您也太着急了
Marriage? Aunt, you’re a bit too anxious.

小杰喜欢苏珊
Thought Xiaojie like Susan,

但是苏珊不一定喜欢小杰
Susan may not like Xiaojie.

哎 你不会也追苏珊尚吧
Eh, you aren’t chasing Susan, are you?

你要这么着 我儿子可就碰上对手了
If you are, my son has met his rival.

不不不 大妈 您放心
No, no. Aunt, don’t worry.

我有女朋友了
I already have a girlfriend.

真的
Really?

真的 但是苏珊真的不一定喜欢小杰
Yes. But I doubt Susan likes Xiaojie.

哎呀 那没关系
Oh, it doesn’t matter.

我一会儿马上就找老李家做个媒
In a moment, I’m going to ask the Li family to be a matchmaker.

没准儿它就能成啊
Perhaps my son will succeed.

您也太乐观了
You’re too optimistic.

哎呀 要是成了的话
Oh, if the match is successful,

对 就在你这小饭馆里头啊
I’ll hold a wedding banquet for them

我给他摆个婚宴
at your little restaurant.

好好好
Okay.

哎呀 不过你这门脸儿小了点儿
But your restaurant is a bit too small.

我怕我那美国的儿媳妇她满意呀
I’m afraid my American daughter-in-law doesn’t like it.

不行
I have to change the venue.

***

直到 老板 认 出 你, 我 才
Zhidao laoban ren chu ni, wo cai

算 一 快 石头 落 了 地
suan yi kuai shitou luo le di.

It was not until the boss recogr

如果 儿子 结 了 婚, 我 也
Ruguo erzi jie le hun, wo ye

suan yi kaui shitou luo le di.
算 一 快 石头 落 了 地。

Before my son gets married,

在汉语口语中“一块石头落了地”
In spoken Chinese, “yi kaui shitou luo le di”

也可以用来表示释然的语气
means one feels relieved.

你的研究生考试结果怎么样
What is the outcome of your postgraduate entrance exams?

总算考上了
I was finally admitted to graduate school.

太好了 祝贺你啊
Great! Congratulations!

我前一段时间一直很担心
I was always worried the last few days.

得到了录取的消息
It was not until I received the admission notice

心里的一块石头才落了地
that I felt totally relieved.

大夫 您看我的病严重吗
Doctor, do you think my disease is very serious?

从检查的结果来看
According to the test results,

只是普通的炎症
it is only an ordinary infection.

你不要太担心
You shouldn’t be worried too much.

那就好
That’s fine.

我心里的一块石头总算了地了
Now I finally feel relieved.

不过你的炎症还是得抓紧治疗
But you must waste no time in treating the infection.

我给你开一些药
Let me prescribe you some medicines.

***

啊 小杰看上苏珊了
What? Xiaojie has fallen in love with Susan?

是啊 我说这小杰呀
Yes. That’s why Xiaojie

怎么老往这小勇的餐馆跑呢
goes to Xiaoyong’s restaurant so often.

敢情是去找苏珊哪
He goes there for Susan.

那苏珊什么意思呀
What’s Susan’s opinion?

不知道啊
I don’t know.

这不嘛 我就来请你呀给当个红娘啊
That’s why I came here to invite you to be a matchmaker.

可可 可这事儿
But this matter…

老伴儿
Old man.

哎哟 王大妈来了
Oh, Madame Wang is here.

来了
Yes.

坐 您坐 您坐
Sit down, please.

我呀是无事不登三宝殿
I came to ask a favor of you.

我们家小姐呀在追苏珊呢
My son Xiaojie is courting Susan.

好事儿啊 郎才女貌啊
Wonderful! They are a perfect match.

这不嘛 小杰呀请苏珊去听音乐会去了
Yeah. Xiaojie invited Susan to a concert just now.


Oh.

可不知道人苏珊什么态度啊
But I don’t know how Susan thinks about it.

这感情可以慢慢培养嘛
Affection can be cultivated over time.

告诉小杰 加把劲儿
Tell Xiaojie to beef up his effort.

我们在丛中给撮合撮合
We’ll do all we can to help them.

哎哟 有您这句话我就放心了啊
Oh, your words made me feel relieved.

您看 我这是特意给你们买的猪蹄
Look, these are the pork trotters I bought for you.

猪蹄
Pork trotters?

按规矩呀
As a rule,

请人做媒是要送猪蹄的
pork trotters should be given to the matchmaker as a gift.

这个主题啊您先拿回去吧
Take the pork trotters back with you.

我们给撮合成了之后再吃来得及
We’ll eat them when we succeed in the matchmaking.

不行
No.

猪蹄必须吃
You must eat the pork trotters.

这个婚呢也必须得撮合成了啊
And you must succeed in the matchmaking.

就这么着 我就等好消息了啊
It’s all set. I’m waiting for the good news.

慢走
Take care.

你看这事儿能行吗
Do you think we can make it?

小杰各方面条件都不错
Xiaojie has many advantages.

我看配得上苏珊
I think he is suitable for Susan.

可咱也没给人家外国人说过媒
But we have never done any matchmaking for a foreigner.

这怎么张口啊
What should we say to her?

咱们先问问苏珊什么意思
We may first ask Susan about her opinion.

她今年多大了
How old is she?

二十四 跟麦苗同岁
24, the same age as Mai Miao.

哦 对了 她来的时候跟咱们说过
Oh yeah, when she first came, she said about it.

你怎么糊里糊涂的
How muddleheaded you are!

这点小事儿都记不住
You can’t remember such a trifle!

我回来了
I’m back.

苏珊
Susan.

苏珊回来了
Susan is back?

坐坐坐
Sit down.

这么高兴啊
Why are you so happy?

我刚刚去听了一场音乐会
I just attended a concert.

你一个人去的
Did you go alone?

没有 我和小杰一起去的
No. I went with Xiaojie.

怎么样
How was it?

哎呀 钢琴很优美
Oh, the piano piece was very beautiful.

小提请很有激情
The violin solo was very heart-stirring.

音响效果很不错
The sound effects were also pretty good.

哦 那小杰喜欢这音乐会吗
Oh. Did Xiaojie like the concert?

当然喜欢
Of course, he did.

我没想到 他是一个音乐迷
To my surprise, he is a music fan.

人家小杰小时候学过钢琴
Xiaojie has learned playing the piano since his childhood.

听说都考到八级了
I heard he had passed the level-8 test.

啊 哇 真了不起
Ah? Wow, that’s a big deal!

那个小杰在出国之前呀
Before Xiao went abroad,

就和几个同学开了个钢琴演奏会
he held a piano concert with his classmates.

对 我们都去听过
Yes, we all went and attended it.

真的
Really?

哇 我做梦都想像小杰那样的
Wow, I can picture even in my dreams

穿着礼服在舞台上演奏
Xiaojie wearing an evening suit and playing the piano on the stage.

可惜学琴太苦 我吃不消
But learning the piano is too hard for me.

我上楼去
I’m going upstairs now.

这这
Oh!

这事儿成了
We’ve made it.

成了
We’ve made it?


Yes.

没这么快吧
It shouldn’t be so quick.

这话里话外你还听不出来呀
You could get some hint from what she said.

尤其是她说的最后一句话
Especially her last sentence,

她做梦都想像小杰那样
she could picture even in her dreams Xiaojie

穿上晚礼服在台上演奏
wearing an evening suit and playing on the stage.

这说明什么
What does this mean?

等等 我想想
Wait, let me think about it.

哎呀 别再想了
Oh, you’d better not think.

赶紧把这好消息告诉王大妈吧
Hurry to tell Madame Wang this good news.

她送那猪蹄那我也就不客气了啊
I would accept her pork trotters.

***

在汉语中
In Chinese,

有一种形容词重叠的特殊结构“A里AB”
there is a special repetitive adjectival structure, “A li AB”.

这里的形容词一般含有贬义
The adjective used here are normally derogatory.

“A里AB”形式表示程度加深
The “A li AB” structure indicates an enhanced degree or extent.

韩叔叔 您来了
Uncle Han, good to see you.

大伟呀
Dawei,

我家的一个亲戚要参加公务员面试
a relative of mine is going to take an interview for a job as a public servant.

你有什么经验或建议嘛
Do you have any experience or suggestions to offer?

面试的时候说话一定要简洁
The interviewee must speak concisely and distinctly,

不要罗里罗嗦的
and should avoid being longwinded.

对 对 这一点非常重要
Right, right. This is very important.

麦苗 你看那个男生
Mai Miao, look at that boy student.

傻里傻气的
How silly he is!

我觉得他很勇敢 也很浪漫啊
I think he is very brave and romantic.

太肉麻了
It’s so disgusting.

要是我
If I were that girl,

我绝对不会接受这种方式的表白
I would never accept this way of expressing his love.

***

喂 苏珊 请我吃饭
Hello, Susan. You want to invite me to dinner?

改天行吗
Can we postpone it to some other day?

好好好 今天就今天
Okay. Today is fine with me.

记住啊 对待女孩子要细心
Remember to treat the girl carefully.

别马里马虎的
Never be careless.

您就放心吧
Don’t worry.

我先去了啊妈
I’m going, Mom.

小杰 来 点菜
Xiaojie, come on, order the food.

我知道你最爱吃的是北京烤鸭
I know you love Peking Duck best.

对呀
Yeah.

那就在北京安个家呗
Why don’t you make your home in Beijing?

总能吃到最正宗的北京烤鸭
This way you can always eat the most authentic Peking Duck.

可是我也很想念美国
But I also miss America.

那就在美国也安个家
Then you can also make your home in America.

啊 两个家
What? Two homes?

对呀 两个家多好啊
Yes. How nice it would be to have two homes!

到了美国
When you’re in America,

你跟你爸你妈团聚
you can have a family reunion with your parents.

到了北京 你跟我爸我妈团聚
While in Beijing you can have a family reunion with my parents.

我为什么要跟你爸你妈团聚
Why a family reunion with your parents?

因为那是我和你的家呀
Because that is your as well as my home.

我和你为什么要有个家
Why should you and I have a home?

没家也行
It’s also okay not to have a home.

那咱们就先这么处着
We may maintain our relationship just like this.

怎么处着呢
What relationship?

你不会没谈过恋爱吧
Have you ever been in love before?

有人狂热地追求我
Someone is zealously chasing after me.

应该是有个女孩儿在狂烈地追求我
You should say a girl is zealously chasing after me.

追你的追你 追我的追我
Let her chase after you and let him chase after me.

那你什么意思啊
What do you mean?

他们各追各的
Let them chase after their sweetheart separately.

进水不犯河水
Neither of us should meddle with the other’s business.

你是真不明白还是假不明白呀
You don’t understand, or pretend not to understand?

是你没听明白
It’s you who don’t understand.

直说吧 你为什么请我吃饭
Tell me straight, why did you invite me to dinner?

那因为你请我听音乐会了嘛
Because you invited me to the concert.

还有呢
Anything else?

中国有句老话
I have to abide by the old Chinese saying that goes,

叫“来而不往非礼也”
“It is impolite not to reciprocate.”

就因为这个啊
Just because of this?

对呀
Yes.

那就没有别的原因吗
Was there any other reason?

还有什么别的原因 我不明白啊
I don’t understand why there should be any other reason.

我明白了
Now I understand.

Advertisements