Subtitles for Episode 116 – Valentine’s Day

“关关” 不认识
“Guan guan”, I don’t understand.

“在河之” 不认识
“Zai he zhi…” I don’t understand.

“淑女” 不认识
“Shunu”, I don’t understand.

君子好逑
“Junzi hao qiu”.

哎 君子也喜欢踢球
Oh, gentlemen also like playing football!

这要写诗的人听你这么念他的诗
If the poet heard how you read his poem,

非气坏了不行
he would be very angry with you.

那太难懂
It’s so difficult to understand.

你给我解释一下行吗
You can explain it to me, can’t you?

这个意思呢就是说
This poem means

关关鸣叫的水鸟
some cooing water birds

栖居在河中的沙洲
are perched river islet.

美丽善良的姑娘是好男儿的好配偶
Beautiful girls are always adored by gentlemen.

鸟 州 偶
“Niao”, “zhou”, “ou”…

我怎么觉得像是进厨房了
Why I feel as if I had entered a kitchen.

这跟厨房可没关系
It has nothing to do with a kitchen.

简单点儿说吧
In short,

意思就是说一个男人爱上了一个女人
it means a man has fallen in love with a woman.

于是便有了这首诗
That’s how this poem came into existance.

喜欢他为什么不直接表达
Why didn’t he say straight that he liked the girl?

因为我们中国人
Because we Chinese

表达感情的方式呢是很含蓄的
express our feelings in a reserved way.

他怕冒犯了别人
He was afraid of offending the girl.

我明白了
I see.

“关关”不认识
“Guan guan”, I don’t understand.

“在河之”不认识
“Zaihe zhi…” I don’t understand.

苏珊 来来来 坐下
Susan, come over here and sit down.

我呀还是教你一下正确的读音吧
Let me teach you the correct pronunciations.

关关雎鸠 在河之洲
“Guan guan ju jui, zai he zhi zhou…”

哎 等一下
Eh, wait a moment.

我先不学 让我找这首诗的感觉
I’m not going to learn it now. Let me get the feel of it first.

好吧 你爱学不学
Okay, as you like.

关关 嗯
The cooing…, right.

在河之 嗯
Are perched on a river islet, right.

淑女 嗯
Beautiful girls…right.

哎呀 你让开
Hey, step aside.

我上学都快迟到了
I’m going to be late for school.

麦苗啊 救救我吧
Mai Miao, help me.

我遇着点儿麻烦
I’ve got some trouble.

行吧 为了救你 我上学迟到我也认了
Okay. To help you, I would rather be late for school.

怎么了 快说
What’s the matter? Tell me quickly.

麦苗 你知道我喜欢肖静
Mai Miao, you know I like Xiao Jing.

我还知道人家压根儿就不喜欢理你
I also know she has always disdained to speak to you.

是啊 我检讨了
Yes. I had self-examination.

我觉得这个问题还是在我身上
I think the problem was caused by me.

你终于知道死缠烂打很烦人了
You’ve finally realized pestering her is really annoying.

不 我觉得是缠得还不够
No, I don’t think I have pestered her enough.

我应该加大力度
I should enhance the intensity.


What?

明天是七夕情人节
Tomorrow is Chinese Valentine’s Day.

我应该送她礼物
I should give her a gift.

天上牛郎会织女
Niu Lang and Zhi Nu will meet in the sky

地下小伟会肖静
and Xiaowei will meet Xiao Jing on the ground.

麦苗 你得陪我去买礼物
Mai Miao, I want you to accompany me to buy a gift.

你说了半天
You’ve been talking for so long

就是让我陪你逛街呀
just for persuading me to go shopping with you.

麦苗你得帮帮我
Mai Miao you’ve got to help me.

明天就是七夕情人节
Tomorrow is Chinese Valentine’s Day

你跟我今天必须得买礼物
You must go with me to buy a gift.

那你就买个水晶音乐盒
You can buy a crystal music box

这万千思念在其中
to express your deep love.

太没创意了
It isn’t very innovative.

那就买个海洋之心
Then buy her a Star of the Ocean.

钻石恒久远 一颗永流传
A diamond symbolizes eternity and steadfastness.

你看我能买得起吗
Do you think I can afford it?

我只管出主意
I’m responsible only for offering advice,

我不管你的财务状况
without regard for your finances.

你爱买不买
I don’t care if you buy it or not.

麦苗
Mai Miao!

苏珊今天没有可 你可以找她
Susan has no class today. You can go and ask her for help.

苏珊 她能行嘛
Susan? Can she do it?

西方有传统的情人节
The Westerners have their own Valentine’s Day.

她买情人节礼物肯定没问题
She’d have no difficulty choosing a Valentine’s Day gift.

可是
But…

你爱去不去
I don’t care if you’ll go or not.

苏珊
Susan.

***

“爱A不A”结构表示无论选择那一种都随便
The structure “ai A bu A” means not to care about

表达不在乎或不满的语气
what someone chooses to do.

比如 你爱去不去
EG: I don’t care whether you go or not.

爸爸 你做的菜怎么黑糊糊的呀
Dad, why, the dish you cooked looks like a dark mass!

颜色无所谓 好吃就行呗
The color is not important, as long as it tastes good.

这个颜色的才让人没有食欲
But the color of the dish gives me no appetite.

你爱吃不吃
I don’t care whether you eat or not.

要是饿极了 看什么菜都有食欲了
If you’re very hungry, whatever dish you see will give you appetite.

小勇 快告诉我 那个男的是谁
Xiaoyong, tell me quickly who that man is.

你先帮我约一下麦苗
If you can arrange for Mai Miao to see me,

我就告诉你
I’ll tell you.

你爱说不说
I don’t care whether you tell me or not.

我问梅子和苏珊去
I can ask Meizi and Susan about it.

她们可不见得知道
But they may not know it.

***

关关雎鸠 水鸟与爱情
“Guan guan ju jiu”… water birds and love.

水鸟在爱情里很重要
So a water bird is very important for love.

苏珊 学习呢
Susan, you’re still studying, right?

我刚学得中国古诗
I’ve just learned an ancient Chinese poem.

关于爱情和水鸟
It’s about love and water birds.

我念诗给你听听“关关”
Let me read it to you. “Guan guan”…

哎哎 不用关了
Oh, you don’t have to read it.

我相信你这学习一定能学得很好
I’m sure you have learned it pretty well.

你不是来听我念诗的吗
Aren’t you here to listen to my poetry recital?

当然不是
Of course not.

我之所以来找你是因为有事儿要问你
I came for you because I want to ask you something.

有什么事
What is it?

假如说你是一个女孩
Suppose you’re a girl.

我本来是一个女孩
I’m doubtless a girl.

哦 对 你是一个女孩
Yes, you’re a girl.

假如说我要送你礼物
Suppose I’m going to give you a gift.

你要送我礼物
You want to give me a gift?

我是说假如
I said suppose.

假如我要送你礼物
Suppose I’m going to give you a gift.

你希望我送你什么样的礼物呢
What kind of gift do you want me to give you?

要送我礼物
You’re going to give me a gift.

还用加入掩饰
You don’t have ignore it by saying “suppose”.

这就是中国式的含蓄吧
Is this the Chinese implicit style of communication?

这个问题很难回答吗
Is this question so hard to answer?

不难
No.

你不就是问我喜欢什么吗
Are you asking me what I like?

我喜欢
I like…

人家都含蓄了
He is quite reserved.

我也应该含蓄一点儿
So I have to show some reserve, too.

其实 礼物本身没有意义
Actually a gift itself is meaningless.

是送礼物的人让礼物有了意义
It’s the giver of the gift who makes it meaningful.

没明白
I don’t understand.

不过你的中文水平倒是提高了不少呢
But you certainly have improved your Chinese proficiency a lot.

你没听懂
You don’t understand me.

我这样的 我给你举一个例子
Well, let me give you an example.

昨天大嫂给乐乐买一个毛毛熊
Yesterday your sister-in-law bought Le Le a teddy bear.

毛毛熊本身没有意义
A teddy bear itself is meaningless.

乐乐之所以会那么高兴
Le Le was happy

是因为妈妈的爱
because of his mother’s love.

这我知道 可是
I know this. But…

还有 你记得前天小勇给爷爷
Another example, do you still remember Xiaoyong

送一把大蒲扇吗
gave his grandpa a palm fan yesterday?

蒲扇本身没有价值
The palm fan itself is worthless.

爷爷之所以那么感动
But his grandpa was so moved

是因为孙子的孝心
because of his grandson’s filial piety.

没错 可是
Absolutely right. But…

还有
Another example…

你可别还有了
No more examples.

商场马上就开门了
The department store is opening soon.

我还得赶紧去买礼物呢
I have to hurry to buy the gift.

你那么着急送礼物
You’re so eager to buy the gift?

当然着急了
Of course.

我来找你就是想问你关于礼物的事情
I came here just for your advice about the gift.

那你现在明白了吗
Are you clear now?

这更糊涂了
Now I’m more unclear.

我还是自己去挑礼物吧
I’d better go and choose one myself.

关关雎鸠 在河之洲
The turtledoves are cooing on the river islet.

小伟 小伟
Xiaowei, Xiaowei,

今天是七夕
today is Chinese Valentine’s Day.

喜鹊准时把牛郎送来了
The magpies have sent Niulang here?

最帅的牛郎
And the most handsome Niulang!

给肖静带什么礼物了
What gift have you brought for Xiao Jing?

当然是花啊
Of course, flowers.

你看这话怎么样
What do you think of these flowers?

这么多种颜色的花啊
Oh, many kinds of colors.

真像我们家的大拌菜
They look like our medley salad.

为了今天这特殊的日子
Today is a special day.

我好不容易才选的这束花
It wasn’t easy for me to buy this bouquet of flowers.

终于可以
I’ve finally…

买了这束要多乱有多乱的花
Bought this greatly messy bouquet of flowers!

我之所以买这么多种花
I bought so many kinds of flowers

是因为不知道她喜欢哪一种
because I don’t know which kind she likes best.

还有呢
What else?

还有就是我要以多种角度的方式
Also because I want to express my love

表达我的爱情
from many different angles.

哎呀 恐怕你想到的别人也想到了
Oh, perhaps other people have also thought of this way of expression.

请你多角度地往那边看一下
Please look over there from different angles.

人家一样买一束 怎么样
He bought many bouquets, but each of the same kind.

比你这大拌菜有面子吧
Are his flowers more presentable than yours?

***

Wo zhi suoyi lai zhao ni,
我 之 所以 来 找 你,

shi yinwei you shi yao wen ni.
是 因为 有 事 要 问 你。

“之所以…是因为…”
“Zhi suoyi… shi yinwei…” is a sentence pattern in which,

是一种先提出结果后说明原因的格式
a sentence is given before its reason or cause is stated.

用来突出强调原因或理由
It is used to emphasize a certain reason or cause.

苏珊 你为什么要学汉语呢
Susan, why do you want to learn Chinese?

我之所以学习汉语
I’m learning Chinese

是因为我对中国文化很感兴趣
just because I’m very interested in Chinese culture.

将来你会在中国工作吗
Would you work in China in the future?

我还不知道 也许吧
I don’t know yet. But maybe.

我发现中国人都很谦虚
I find most Chinese very modest.

为什么这么说
Why do you say so?

比如 一个人成功了 他会说
For example, if someone is very successful, he would say,

我之所以有今天的成绩
“I have made the achievement today

是因为大家给了我很多的帮助
just because you all have gave me so much help.”

嗯 你说得对 好象是这样
Yeah, you’re right. It seems true.

***

你送来的礼物
This is the gift you gave me?

那么大的一束花啊
What a big bouquet of flowers!

你要是喜欢就把它拿走吧
You may have it if you like it.

虽然态度不怎么样
Though your attitude isn’t laudable,

但还是要谢谢你
I still want to thank you.

嗯 好香
Oh, so fragrant!

她要是这么喜欢就好了
How I wish she also liked it!

谁呀
Who is she?

肖静
Xiao Jing.

你没给她送礼物
You haven’t given her any gift yet,

她为什么要喜欢
how do you know she doesn’t like it?

这个就是要送她的礼物
This is the gift I want to give her.

那 那我的礼物呢
What is my gift then?

我 我什么时候说要送你礼物了
Did I ever say I would give you a gift?

你上午还是含蓄地问我嘛
Didn’t you ask me implicityly this morning?

我上午是想请你帮我
This morning, I just wanted you to help me

看看肖静喜欢什么样的礼物
decide what gift Xiao Jing would like.

误会了
I misunderstood you.

那这束花为什么没送出去
Why haven’t you given this bouquet to her?

我觉得这礼物又没有新意
I think this gift lacks innovativeness.

有寒酸 拿不出手
Beside it’s also shabby and unpresentable.

哦 你想送一份能表达爱
Oh! Do you want to give her an innovative gift

还要有新意的礼物是吗
that can also express your love?


Yes.

我来帮你
Let me help you.

这样吧 你先去约肖静
Okay, you go meet Xiao Jing.

我买来了礼物马上送去
I’ll buy the gift for you at once.

你知道肖静喜欢什么样的礼物
Do you know what gift Xiao Jing likes?

瞧我的吧
You just wait and see.

谢谢
Thanks.

你已经让我喝了三壶了
I’ve already drunk three pots of tea.

到底什么事儿啊
What is it after all?

我给你准备了一份特殊的礼物
I’ve prepared a special gift for you.

我不要
No, I don’t want any gift.

可是我都已经订了 马上就到
But I have already ordered one. It’ll be delivered at once.

给点儿面子
Give me a break.

礼物到了
The gift is coming.

这个就是你说的又能表达爱意
Is this the innovative gift that you said

又有新意的礼物
can also express my love?

确定 这个礼物还会说话呢
Exactly. This gift can also speak.

谢谢
Thanks.

肖静 你把它打开
Xiao Jing, open it

你就能明白我的心意了
and you’ll understand my affection for you.

你的心意
Your affection for me?

这个 这个
Well, well…

苏珊 你不是说它会说话吗
Susan, didn’t you say it could speak?

是会说话
Yes, it can.

苏珊
Susan!

我找不到水鸟
I couldn’t find a water bird.

所以我买了这只鸭子
So I bought this duck instead.

这个礼物很棒吧
It is a wonderful gift.


Jing.

比较适合三岁以下儿童
It is more suitable for a three-year-old kid.

你自己留着玩儿吧
Keep it as a plaything for yourself.

肖静 静 你别去
Xiao Jing, Jing, don’t go away.

你听我解释
Listen to my explanation.

肖静 肖静
Xiao Jing, Xiao Jing.

他们为什么不喜欢你呢
Why don’t they like you?

Advertisements