Subtitles for Episode 2 – An Image Issue

妈 找我们啥事儿
Mom, why do you want us to be here?

你爸今天要开家庭紧急会议
Your dad wants to have an emergency meeting today.

大过年的开什么会呀
Why a meeting on such a festive occasion?

谁知道
Who knows.


Oh!

系这领带太费劲
It isn’t easy to wear this necktie.

差点儿系成死扣
I nearly tied a fast knot.

爸爸 您这是
Dad, why?

咱们家有外事活动
Our family has got involved in foreign affairs.

苏珊来了
Susan is in our home.

苏珊来了就叫外事活动啊
We’re involved in foreign affairs just because of Susan’s presence?

苏珊代表美国政府
Does Susan represent the US government.

可我们代表了一个中国家庭
But we represent a Chinese family.

要注意形象
We should pay attention to our image.

嗑瓜子的时候
Do we have to dress like this even

也穿成您这样
when we eat sunflower seeds at home?

那倒不是
Not really…

这我就放心了
That relieved my worries.

是穿成这样
When we dress like this,

根本就不许嗑瓜子
we shouldn’t eat sunflower seeds at all!

在客人面前 要站有站相
In front of the guest, we should always sit

要坐有坐相
and stand with good manners.

微笑时
When we smile,

要不多不少露出八颗牙
we should show eight teeth, not more and no less.

哎哟
Oh!

怎么了
What’s the matter?

牙疼 明天我得去拔一颗
A toothache, I’ll have one tooth pulled out tomorrow.

剩七颗了怎么办
What if I only have seven left?

妈 您哪戴一口罩
Mom, you should wear a gauze mask,

上画八颗牙不就行了
and have eight teeth drawn on it.

画成大獠牙
What if there are two buckteeth?

严肃点儿 严肃点儿
Be serious!

从现在起 谁也不许乱开玩笑
From now on, no one should make jokes.

要时刻保持礼貌 优雅
We should always maintain our polite, graceful,

文质彬彬的风度
and elegant manners.

爸 您这样累不累呀
Dad, don’t you feel tired to do so?

您这是规范过度
This is overregulation!

还是顺其自然好
We should act in whatever way the situation requires.

打住
Cut it out!

我要求你们以我为榜样
I ask you to take me as an example

向我看齐
and learn from me.

小勇 你早
Good morning, Xiaoyong.

你早
Good morning.

我是第一个来拜年的吧
Am I the first to offer New Year greetings here?

人呢
Where are they?

你不就是来找麦苗的嘛
Aren’t you here for Mai Miao?

别胡说
Don’t talk nonsense.

咱俩是好哥儿们
We two are pals.

你爸爸就是我大爷
Your dad is my uncle.

我是看大家的
I’m here to see them…

我爸妈刚出去拜年去了
My dad just went out to offer New Year greetings.

麦苗不在家
Is Mai Miao not home?

麦苗啊 不知道
Mai Miao? I have no idea.

他来了
Here he is!

他是谁
Who is he?

先逗逗他
Let’s tease him in a moment.

小勇
Xiaoyong!


Yes.

你认识我
You know me?

你不就是那个开饭馆的小勇吗
Are you the owner of that restaurant?

啊 是啊 可是你是谁呀
Yeah, but who are you?

你连我的声音都听不出来啦
Why, you even can’t recognize my voice?

麦苗
Mai Miao?

正是
Yes.

麦苗 你整容了
Mai Miao! Did you have plastic surgery?

整得真像外国人
Now you look like a foreigner.

我像外国人吗
Do I look like a foreigner?

哎呀 太像了
Oh, very much so!

你比外国人还像外国人
Much more even than a real forigner!

我本来就是外国人
I’m actually a foreigner.

我没见过
I’ve never seen

中西结合的双簧
such a comic show by two girls, one Chinese and one foreign.

大爷大妈 你们回来了
Uncle, Aunt, good to see you back.

小勇来了
Hello, Xiaoyong.

我来给大家拜年来了
I’m here to extend my New Year greetings!

祝大家新春大喜
I wish you all a Happy Spring Festival!

同喜同喜
Happy Spring Festival!

大爷 您身体怎么样
Uncle, how are you?

挺好挺好
I’m fine.

大妈 您身体怎么样
Aunt, how are you?

挺好挺好
Pretty good…

这位外国美女是谁呀
Who is this foreign beauty?

她是从美国来的苏珊
She is Susan from America.

是我最好的朋友
My best friend.

你好 麦苗的好朋友
Hi! Mai Miao’s good friend

就是我小勇的好朋友
is mine, too!

来 坐坐坐
Come on. Sit down, please.

你好 你好 你身体怎么样
Hi! How are you?

你怎么也说这句
Why did you also say this?

跟他学的
I learned it from him.

我请大家到我那儿吃饭
I invite you all to my restaurant

为迎接麦苗的好朋友 苏珊小姐
for a get-together to welcome Mai Miao’s friend, Miss Susan!

***

Nin zao!
您 早!
Good morning.

Nin/Ni shenti zenme yang?
您/你 身体 怎么 样?
How are you?

“您早” “你早”
“Nin zao”, “ni zao”,

或者一个简单的“早”
or simply “zao”

都是人们早上见面时常用的问候语
are the usual expressions for “good morning”.

如果亲戚 朋友 熟人之间
The other frequent expression of greeting is

有一段时间没见面
“…shenti zenme yang?”

那么见面或打电话时可以问一句
(How are you?),

“身体怎么样”
which is used between relatives,

以表示对对方的关心
friends and acquaintances.

李老师 您早
Mr. Li, good morning.

你早 苏珊
Good morning, Susan.

老李 你早
Lao Li, good morning.

哟 是老王啊 好久不见了
Oh, Lao Wang, we haven’t seen each other for a long time.

可不是
That’s true.

你身体怎么样
How are you doing?

还行
Not bad.

***

我代表大家
On behalf of all of us,

祝苏珊在新的一年里一帆风顺
I wish Susan success

天天向上
and steady progress in the New Year!

考试得满分
And top grades in her exam!

谢谢 谢谢 谢谢大家
Many thanks. Thanks everybody.

祝我爸 我妈身体健康
We wish Dad and Mom good health!

万事如意
Satisfaction in everything!

越活越年轻
May you stay young forever!

我祝你们年轻人事业有成
I wish you young people success

前途无量
and a bright future!

祝小勇的餐馆生意兴隆
I wish Xiaoyong’s restaurant prosperity

财源滚滚
and rolling wealth.

祝我们家乐乐学习进步
I wish Le Le progress in his schoolwork

快乐成长
and a happy growth!

谢谢
Thank you.

那我祝小伟
I wish Xiaowei

早日把女朋友带回家
would bring home his girlfriend the sooner the better!

哪壶不开你提哪壶
You touched my tender spot!

哇 那么多祝福的话
Wow, so many good wishes!

这是我可以练口语的好机会
It’s a good opportunity to practice my spoken Chinese!

我也来说几句
I also want to say a few words.

祝舅舅身体健康
I wish uncle good health!

谢谢
Thank you.

你真干了
You really emptied your glass?

当然得干了
Of course, I did.

客人敬酒
Our guest is toasting to me.

不能失礼
I shouldn’t be impolite.

我祝舅舅万事如意
I wish uncle satisfaction in everything!

谢谢
Thank you!

还喝呀
You better drink no more.

必须得喝
I must drink it.

尊重女性 是男士应用的风度
Respecting females is the basic of a gentleman’s good manners.

我祝舅舅越活越年轻
May uncle stay young forever!

谢谢
Thank you.

你别喝高了
Dad, don’t get drunk.

你酒量行吗
Do you have this drinking capacity?

这不是酒量不酒量的问题
This is not a question of drinking capacity.

这是保持中国老头形象的问题
It’s a question of maintaining the image of Chinese old men.

苏珊 你的学习能力很强啊
Susan, you’re quite good at learning.

刚才的祝福话她都学了三句了
You’ve already learned three of our toast expressions.

还剩四句
There are still four more.

对对对
Yes indeed.

我祝舅舅事业有成
Uncle, I wish you success in your career

前途无量
and a bright future!

谢谢
Thank you.

我祝舅舅学习进步
I wish uncle progress in your studies

快乐成长
and a happy growth!

我就长不了啦
I can’t grow anymore.

还是换一句吧
Change it for a new one.

对对对
Yes, yes.

那我祝舅舅
I wish Uncle

早日把女朋友带回家
would bring home his girlfriend the sooner the better!

干杯 干杯
Cheers! Cheers!

听我说
Listen to me.

下面由李文茂给大家表演节目
Next let Li Wenmao perform for you all.


Okay.

李文茂就是我
I’m Li Wenmao…


Good.

我就是李文茂
I’m Li Wenmao…

谁还不知道你是李文茂啊
Who doesn’t know you’re Li Wenmao?

喝高了 喝高了
You’ve drunk too much.

在座的中国人知道我是李文茂
All Chinese here know I’m Li Wenmao.

还有外国人不知道我是李文茂
But the foreigner doesn’t know I’m Li Wenmao.

我现在知道了
Now I know.

舅舅名叫李文茂
Uncle’s name is Li Wenmao.

演出开始
Now the performance starts.

你快乐吗
“Are you happy?

我很快乐
I’m very happy…”

你快乐吗
“Are you happy?

我很快乐
I’m very happy…”

他还要求别人注意形象呢
He asked us to pay attention to our image.

他自己现在都这形象了
But this is his image.

他就是为了注意形象
Had he not tried to maintain his image,

他才喝成这形象
he wouldn’t have been drunk like this.

你说他都已经喝成这形象了
Drunk as he is,

他还能要求咱们吗
do you think he would still be strict with us?

等他醒了 咱们逗逗他
When he has sobered up, let’s give him a tease.

你快乐吗
Are you happy?

我很快乐
I’m very happy…

我怎么睡这儿了
How come I slept here?

您非要睡沙发
You insisted on sleeping in the sofa.

我们不让您睡沙发
When we didn’t allow you,

不让您睡 您还跟我们急
you were mad with us.

苏珊给您敬酒
When Susan proposed a toast to you,

您不好意思不喝
you felt it impolite to refuse it.

还非说要保持什么中国老头的形象
So for the sake of maintaining the image of Chinese old men.

为了保持
Just because you insisted on maintaining

中国老头的形象
the image of Chinese old men,

您就喝醉了
you got yourself drunk.

哦 保持形象
Oh, maintaining the image!

我西服呢
Where is my western-style suit?

还穿西服干吗呀
Why still wearing a suit?

昨天您那样子已经原形毕露了
You already showed you true colors yesterday.

原形毕露
I showed my true colors?

你忘了
Did you forget it?

我没忘
I didn’t forget!

就是根本不记得
But I don’t remember anything like that.

你昨天喝醉了那个样子
After you got drunk,

简直像个小孩
you just looked like a child!

比三岁的小孩还小
And a child under age three!

那个闹腾啊
What a mess it was!

我昨天什么样啊
What did I look like?

反正昨天您是喝多了
Anyway you drank too much yesterday.

到底什么样
How did I look?

您可以自由想象
You can have a free imagination.

我躺在车轱辘底下不起来
Lying under the wheels and refusing to stand up.

没有
No.

您是直接就出溜到桌子底下去了
You slipped directly under the table.

还有 您还表演了一些节目呢
And you also gave us some performances.

你快乐吗
“Are you happy?

我很快乐
I’m very happy…”

而且 爸爸 您在表演节目的时候
Besides, Dad, when you performed,

不仅露出了前面的那八颗牙
you showed us not just your eight front teeth,

把后槽牙都露出来了
even your molar teeth!

我李文茂的形象 毁了
My image has been damaged!

苏珊已经把你昨天的形象录下来了
Susan taped what you looked like yesterday.

啊 苏珊把我录下来啦
What? Susan taped me.

***

Ni kuaile ma? Wo hen kuaile.
你 快乐 吗? 我 很 快乐
Are you happy? I’m very happy.

在汉语中 动词可以做谓语
In Chinese, both verbs and adjectives

形容词也可以做谓语
can be used as a predicate.

形容词做谓语时的三种形式是
There are three forms of predicative adjectives:

肯定式
1.positive;

否定式
2.negative;

疑问式
3.interrogative.

小伟 你最近忙吗
Xiaowei, are you busy lately?

不忙 有事儿吗
No. What is it?

苏珊刚来
Susan just came,

可是 最近我比较忙
but I’ve been pretty busy lately and

没有太多时间陪她
found little time to be with her…

你是想让我
You mean you want me

多带苏珊出去走走 看看 对吧
to take Susan out for a tour around as much as I can, right?

没问题呀
No problem.

我现在就带她去颐和园
I’m going to take her to Yiheyuan for a tour right away.

不用这么急 明天再去吧
No rush. You’d better go tomorrow.

哎 你们要出去啊
Hey, are you going out?

我要带苏珊去颐和园看看
I want to take Susan to Yiheyuan for a tour.

今天外边很冷
It’s pretty cold outside.

你们得多穿点儿
You’d better put on more clothes.

苏珊 你的这件衣服真漂亮
Susan, how beautifully you’re dressed!


Yeah.

真漂亮 特别好看
So beautiful!

谢谢
Thanks.

不客气
You’re welcome.

你不用说不客气
You don’t have to say that.

***

大过年你媳妇加班
Your wife is working an extra shift on the New Year’s Eve.

把你妈快累死了
I’m nearly burnt-out.

敲这边 这边
Knock this side, this side.

我们回来了
We’re back.

回来了
You’re back.

你快乐吗? 我很快乐
“Are you happy? I’m very happy…”

这苏珊怎么了这是
What’s happened to Susan?

你快乐吗? 我很快乐
“Are you happy? I’m very happy…”

中国酒 好酒
Chinese wine… very good wine!

这是上哪儿了 喝成这样啊
Where did she get drunk like this!

我们路上碰到一帮留学生
We bumped into a bunch of foreign students on the way.

他们非要在一起狂欢
They insisted that we have revelry together.

喝什么酒了
What did you drink?

两个 两个锅的头
The wine brewed in two cauldrons!

二锅头
Er guo tou!

苏珊 你可回来了
Susan, here you’re back!

快把你昨天给我录的那段让我看看
Show me quickly the video you taped yesterday.

嗯哼
Uh huh?

就是他表演的时候你给他录的那个
I taped the performance he gave us.

看了他就踏实了
He’ll feel relieved after he sees it.

给不给呢 给不给呢
Should I give it to him or not?

不给
No!

得 这位也喝多了
Oh, another drunk.

苏珊说 她要模仿您当时表演的样子
Susan said she wants to give us an imitation of your performance

因为那样更生动
because it would look more vivid this way.


Come on.

现在由我李文茂给大家表演
Now let Li Wenmao perform for you all.

李文茂就是我
I’m Li Wenmao…

我就是李文茂
I’m Li Wenmao…

你快乐吗? 我很快乐
“Are you happy? I’m very happy…”

你happy吗 我很happy
Are you happy? I’m very happy.

Advertisements