Subtitles for Episode 25 – Losing the Chariot to Save the Marshal

拱卒
Move up your soldier!

拱什么卒 飞象
Don’t move up your soldier, fly your elephant.

跳跳跳 跳马
I jump the horse!

谁教谁下棋呢
Who is teaching who to play chess?

您教苏珊
You’re teaching Susan.

我怎么觉得有点儿喧宾夺主的意思
Why I’m feeling someone is stealing the show?

不敢 不敢
I dare not. I dare not.

吃车 吃车
I’ll capture your chariot.

吃你的车
You may capture my chariot.

哦耶
Wow!

这就叫老马失前蹄
This is called “lao ma shi qian ti”.

什么意思
What does it mean?

就是说有一匹老马
It means an experience old horse

它跑啊跑啊跑
keeps running and running,

嘎嘚 前蹄一歪 它就摔倒了
and suddenly trips and tumbles.


Check!

怪不得我爸能让苏珊白吃掉一个车呢
No wonder why my dad let Susan capture one of his chariots.

这招就叫丢车保帅
This trick is known as giving up the chariot to save the marshal.

什么意思呢
What does it mean?

就是说为了更主要的事情
It means that for something more important,

要舍得付出一些代价
you have to sacrifice something less important.

学生听明白了
I understand it now.

不单单是下棋
Not just in playing chess,

我们平时生活中
we should also learn to practice

也要学会丢车保帅
“diu ju bao shuai” in our daily lives.

小小的棋盘 大大的学问
The little chess board displays so much knowledge

有智慧
and so much wisdom!

小伟 麦苗 你们也得学着点儿
Xiaowei, Mai Miao, you should also learn it.

老伴儿 当教练当上瘾了吧
Old man, are you addicted to being a coach?


Mom.

舅妈 坐 坐
Aunt, sit down, please.

舅妈 来来 坐这儿
Aunt, come here and sit down.

来,坐这儿
Come and sit here.

谢谢
Thanks.

你的棋友老赵搬新居
Your chess mate Lao Zhao has moved into a new apartment.

我们是不是应该买东西
Do you think we should

去祝贺人家一下
buy him somthing to congratulate him?

既然是棋友
Since he is my chess mate,

当然应该送一副水晶象棋
we should certainly buy him a crystal chess set.

哟 别 老张下棋那架势
Oh, no. You know how he plays chess,

拿起这棋盘啪啪啪
always smashing his chess piece on the board so loudly.

天呢 别说水晶的了
My goodness, he’d smash even diamond to pieces,

钻石的也砸碎了
let alone crystal!

水晶的老赵那肯定是舍不得砸
He can’ bear to smash it if it is crystal.

他也就是没事儿的时候
Only when he has nothing else to do,

拿出来摆弄摆弄
he would take it out fiddle with.

准确的说也叫把玩把玩
To be more precise, he merely takes it as a pastime.

不能用 那有什么意义
It would be meaningless if he can’t use it.

一点儿也不实用
It isn’t practical at all.

那你说送什么
What else do you think we should give him?

送一套高级茶具
We may give him a top-grade tea set.

水晶象棋
Crystal chess set!

高级茶具
Top-grade tea set!

水晶象棋
Crystal chess set!

高级茶具
Top-grade tea set!

来 看
Come and look,

我跑了好几家商店
I went to several shops

才买到这套紫砂茶具的
before I was able to buy this zisha tea set.

你们帮我看看
You guys,

送给老赵合不合适
do you think it’s appropriate to give this to Lao Zhao?

您买的 我们敢说不合适吗
It’s what you bought. Dare we say no?

这小子 你们帮我看看
You spoiled brat! You two give me your opinion.

来苏珊 快看
Come here, Susan, take a look at it.

哎呀 这舅妈的眼光就是独到
Oh, Aunt, you’ve got a unique eye.

当然是一流的了
Of course, it’s first-rate.

很好 很完美
Very good, it’s perfect.

可是 但是不
But, but not…

不什么
Not what?

茶杯太小了吧
Aren’t the teacups are bit too small?

喝一口 只能喝一口
I can hold only one small mouthful of tea.

这个茶具呀 喝茶的时候
When you drink tea with this kind of tea set,

就是一小口一小口地抿
you should certainly drink it by taking small sips.

这叫中国的工夫茶
It is called the way to drink Chinese kung-fu tea.

功夫 喝茶也得练功夫
Kung-fu? You can also practice kung-fu when you drink tea?

这个工夫不是那个功夫
This kung-fu is different from that kung-fu.

这是指浪费时间
It refers to the wasting of time.

净瞎说 要说这功夫茶呀
Nonsense! As for the kung-fu tea,

还是你爸明白
your dad knows more about it.

老伴儿 来
Old man, come on.

你真么了 不高兴
What’s wrong?Why are you so unhappy?

我茶具买错了
Do you think it’s a mistake to buy this tea set?

夫人买的 哪儿能有错啊
My dear wife bought it. How could it be a mistake?

那你干吗吊着个脸
Then why did you wear a long face

半天不说话
and remain silent for so long?

我刚才是一边看着这个茶具
Just now as I watched this tea set,

一边想起了《茶经》上说
I thought a line from “The Classic of Tea”:

山顶泉轻清
“The spring water on the mountaintop is light and clear,

山下泉重浊
The spring water down the mountain is heavy and turbid.”

又想起一句诗
And I thought of another poem line:

活水仍需活火烹
“The spring water should be boiled with a proper control of the fire.”

可这位诗人是谁
Who is this poet?

我想不起来了
I can’t remember.

你们帮我想想
Can you recall who the poet is?

你自己想吧
You’d better recall yourself.

我要去把它整理好
I’m going to tidy the tea set.

你们快想想
Think hard

这个诗人到底是谁
who the poet is.

不用想了
We needn’t think.

我爸是故意把我妈气走
My dad forced my mom out by deliberately making her angry.

真的
Really?

苏东坡
Su Dongpo.

他买的茶壶我一点儿也不喜欢
I don’t in the least like the teapot she bought.

***

在汉语中
In Chinese,

“一点儿”用在“不”或者“没”的前边
“yi dianr” used before “bu” or “mei”

表示一种完全的否定
indicates a total negation.

在“一点儿”和“不”“没”之间
Between “yidianr” and “bu” or “mei”,

常常会加上“也”或者“都”
“ye” or “dou” is often added.

这时 否定的语气更强一些
to strengthen the negative mood.

奶奶 我作业都写完了
Granny, I’ve finished all my homework.

我出去玩儿一会儿
I’m out to play for a while.

去吧 今天外边挺冷的
Go ahead. It’s cold outside today.

穿上一件外套
Put on a jacket.

没事儿 一点儿都不冷
It doesn’t matter. It’s not cold at all.

穿上吧
Put it on.

不用穿
I don’t need it.

刘雅 好久不见了
Liu Ya, long time no see!

你是 晓莉
You’re…Xiaoli!

对 对 我是小莉
Yes, yes, I’m Xiaoli.

没想到在这儿见面了
I didn’t expect to see you here.

真是没想到 你变样了
Me neither. You’ve changed.

我都不敢认你了
I can barely recognize you.

你一点儿都没变
You haven’t changed in the least.

还是那么年轻 漂亮
You’re still that young and beautiful.

也不年轻了
I’m no longer young.

都有白头发了
I’m having white hair now.

***

奇怪了 哪儿去了
It’s so strange! Where is it?

老伴儿
Old man.

哟 你看你干吗呢
Oh, look, what you did?

把这儿弄得乱七八糟的
What a mess you made here!

哎呀 找资料啊
Oh, I was looking for some material.

人老了就是不行
As we’re getting older,

着脑袋 着记忆力不行 不行
our memories are no longer reliable.

找什么资料
What material are you looking for?

怪怪的
You look so strange!

西方戏剧史通论
“The General History of Western Drama”.

你这本书没看过吧
Have you ever read this book?

我才不看呢 有什么意思
I wouldn’t read it. It isn’t so interesting.

这就好 这就好
That’s fine, that’s fine.

哎哎 这书里有什么秘密吧
Eh, is there any secret in it?

这 戏剧发展秘密
Is the development of drama a secret?

好 你看吧 你看 你看
Okay, come and read it.

这 这怎么回事儿
How come?

太丢脸了
You’ve lost face?

我看错了 我看错了
I misjudged by sight.

不行 不行
No way. You can’t do it.

耍赖 没你这样的
You’re playing foul. It’s not right.

放过来
Put it there!

不不不
No, no.

小伟 你妈没在家吧
Xiaowei, your mom is not home?

没 刚出去
No, she just went out.

真没在
Really not home?

刚出去买菜了
She just went out to buy some groceries.

爸 您报的什么呀鬼鬼祟祟的
Dad, what are you holding in your arms so furtively?

我逛了三个小时
I went from shop to shop for three hours

终于买到这个
before I finally brought this.

这这这 这就是您说那水晶象棋
Is this the crystal chess set you mentioned?

太漂亮了 这得多少钱呀
It’s so beautiful! How expensive is it?

您哪儿来的钱呀
Where did you get the money?

我有小金库
I have a private coffer.

金库
A coffer?

就是私房钱
It is also known as pin money.

您不忠诚
You’re unfaithful and dishonest.

这属于小节 无关大局
It’s a minor problem, nothing of great significance.

小伟 去把那个茶具拿来
Xiaowei, bring here that tea set.

你们给评评
You give me your judgment.

看到底是送哪件礼物更好
Which gift is even better?

来了
Here you are.

看见没有
Do you see?

一比就显出来了吧
The difference becomes more apparent when they are compared together.

不怕不识货
Comparison, rather than knowledge,

就怕货比货
can help you better understand what is better.

还是舅舅的眼光高
No one is better than Uncle in judgment.

我看两样都不错
I think both of them are very good.

苏珊 你看 乍一看起来
Susan, look, at first sight

是的确分不出高下
you can’t tell which is better.

可你仔细看看看水晶的这个成色
But look carefully at the quality of the crystal.

晶莹剔透 拿在手里 沉甸甸的吧
It’s sparking and transparent, and very heavy in your hand.

哎 真的
Oh, yes indeed.

我象棋 别摔
Oh, my chess piece! Is it broken?

没事儿 没事儿
No, it’s not broken.

一点印都没有 没事儿
There is not the slightest trace on it.

不过 把杯子给摔碎了
But you smashed the cups.

这下完了
You’re done for.

没完 我呀还有点私房钱
Not yet. I still have some pin money.

不过这私房钱的事儿
But none of you should say that

谁也不能说
I have pin money.

哎 不对呀
Hey, there is something wrong.

哪儿不对了
What’s wrong?

隔了一天 颜色怎么变深了
How come its color has deepened just over night?

估计是紫砂壶的一种新工艺
I guess it’s a new technology in making this kind of zisha teapots.

日久天长 越来越有古旧感
It will look more antique with the passage of time.

有这事儿
Is it true?

你就别鸡蛋里头挑骨头了
Don’t nitpick.

走走走
Let’s go.

老赵都等急了 几点了
Lao Zhao must be waiting anxiously. What time is it now?

***

Wo guang le san ge xiaoshi, zhongyu mai dao le zhe ge.
我逛了三个小时, 终于买到了这个。
I strolled around for

动词后边加上表示一段时间的词语
A time-measure complement placed after a verb

比如“一会儿”“两个小时”
such as “a moment”, “two hours”,

“一个晚上”“三个月”
“one night”, “three month”,

“五年”等等
“five years”

用来说明一个动作或状态持续了多长时间
indicates the duration of an action or a state,

或者是表示
or the duration of

动作从发生到某时
an action from the time of its occurrence to a certain point

或说话时已经有长时间了
or to the time in question.

两位小姐 咱们要不要休息一会儿
Two misses, do we need a rest?

不用 我们一点儿也不累
No, we’re not at all tired.

可是我快不行了
I’m burnt-out.

是你自己主动要陪我们逛街的
You came to stroll with us on your own initiative.

才走了一个小时你就这样了
We’ve been walking only an hour and you said you’re tired.

我也没想到逛街这么累人啊
I didn’t expect window-shopping is so tiring.

平时我踢球踢两个小时都不觉得累呢
Normally I don’t feel tired at all when I play soccer for two hours.

小勇 你别陪我们逛了
Xiaoyong, you’d better stop strolling with us.

就在这儿等我们吧
Just wait for us here.

那也好
It’s a good idea.

来 喝豆浆了 每人一杯
Come, soy milk, a glass for each of us.

这是我自己做的
I made it myself.

好喝
Tastes good!

舅妈 做豆浆麻烦吧
Aunt, is it much of a bother, to make soy milk?

不麻烦 头一天晚上洗好黄豆
No. Wash the soybeans clean one night before,

放在机器里 加上水
put them in the machine, add in some water,

泡一晚上
and let them steep for a whole night.

第二天早上接通电源
Plug it in the following morning.

过二十分钟就做好了
It’ll be done in 20 minutes.

大伟 你怎么了
Dawei, what’s the matter?

没睡好
You didn’t sleep well?

昨晚开夜车写东西
I stayed up writing last night.

只睡了三个小时
I slept for only three hours.

这怎么行啊
You can’t do like that.

以后可不能再熬夜了
You mustn’t stay up too late from now on.

身体要紧
Health is most important.

知道了
I know now.

***

小伟
Xiaowei,

是不是你把我新买的茶具调包了
did you replace my newly bought tea set with a different one?

我没事儿我动它干吗呀
I had no reason to touch it.

没准你又看上哪个美女
It’s likely you take a fancy to a certain attractive girl,

拿我东西去讨好别人
and give it to her to please her.

那我还不如请人家
I would rather invite this girl

去咖啡店喝咖啡呢
to drink coffee at a coffee bar.

那多有情调啊
How romantic it would be!

舅妈 您不会怀疑是我吧
Aunt, are you suspicious of me?

我不怀疑你
No, I am not.

你又不喜欢那东西
You don’t like this kind of thing.

对对对
Right.

难道是我吗
Could it be said that you are suspicious of me?

不会是你
No, it can’t be you.

我怀疑谁也不能怀疑你呀
You’re the last one I suspect!

我嫂子
My sister-in-law

他们也回娘家了
went back to her parents’ home with my brother and the kid.

也不可能是他们
It can’t be them either.

再说了 我哥他们也不是那样的人呢
Besides, my brother isn’t that kind of person.

乐乐 更不可能
It’s even more unlikely that Le Le did it.

就剩下我舅了
Now only my uncle is left.


Hush!

最怀疑的就是他
He is the person I’m most suspicious of.

那天他在书房里头鬼鬼祟祟的
He was furtive in his study all day long.

还给了我一本西方戏剧史
He even gave me a book on the history of Western drama.

这跟茶具也没关系呀
That had nothing to do with your tea set.

就是
Of course not.

你们不知道他会打马虎眼哪
Don’t you know he tends to play dumb!

你们最近有没有发现他有反常的举动
Have you found any of his recent actions abnormal?

没有 没有没有没有
No, not a bit.

来 都是好孩子
Come on. You’re all nice kids.

吃水果 吃水果 吃水果
Eat some fruit. Eat some fruit.

不许帮着他骗我
You mustn’t help him to fool me.

我不想骗您
I don’t want to fool you.

好 苏珊说
Good. Susan, you speak up.

茶具确实被调换
The tea set has been indeed replaced.

真的调换了 为什么
It has been replaced? Why?

舅舅把您那套给打碎了
Uncle broke some of the teacups you bought.

啊 他把我新买茶具给打碎了
What? He broke my newly bought tea set?

这个李文茂
Li Wenmao pissed me up.

回来我非得找他算账
I’ll get even with him when he is back.

这都怎么了 这么严肃
What’s the matter? Why you’re all sitting like this?

李文茂 还我茶具
Li Wenmao, pay me for the tea set.

都送给人家老赵了
You’ve already given it to Lao Zhao.

这得管老赵要
So you’ve got to get it back from Lao Zhao.

你送人家东西好意思要回来呀
Would it be embarrassing to take back a gift?

你跟我装糊涂
Don’t play dumb with me!

舅舅 别再装糊涂了
Uncle, don’t play dumb anymore.

我都替你承认了
I have already admitted in your behalf.

承认社么呀
What did you admit?

打碎茶具的事儿
The damage of the tea set.

我不是说要保密吗
Didn’t I tell you to keep it secret?

哎呀 不说 舅妈得问到底
Oh, if you don’t admit, when Aunt asks further about it,

太辛苦了
you’ll have an even harder time.

还是苏珊心肠好
Susan is honest and kind.

我也替你考虑了
I also considered it for you.

这叫丢车保帅
The tactic is “diu ju bao shuai” give up the chariot to save the marshal.

嗨 你倒是活学活用
Hey, you can apply what you have learned in such a creative way.

丢车保帅
“Diu ju bao shuai”?

感情我这茶具是车
If my tea set was the chariot,

帅是什么呀
what would be the marshal?

这个呢 这个不说
Well, I can’t tell you this.

打死我也不说
I can’t even if you beat me to death.

李文茂 告诉我帅到底是什么
Li Wenmao, tell me what the marshal is.

从实招来
You must confess truthfully.

我偷着给老赵买了副水晶象棋
I secretly bought a crystal chess set for Lao Zhao.

哪儿来的钱
Where did you get the money?

私房钱
It’s part of my pin money.

藏在哪儿了
Where did you hide it?

西方戏剧史通论
In the book on the History of Western Drama.

还有吗
Do you any more?

我发誓就这一个
I swear this is the only one.

我不信
I don’t believe you.

我一会儿把你所有的书
In a moment, I’ll check up

统统检查一遍
all the books you have.

Advertisements