Subtitles for Episode 3 – Dumplings

大伟 放松点儿
Dawei, take it easy.

这几天 大家表现都不错
The last few days, everybody has done pretty well.

表现最好的那就是要即热情又自然 还要分寸拿得恰到好处 即有淑女风范 那就是你妈
The person who has done best; who has treating her both warmly and naturally; who has shown a perfect sense of propriety; and who is a good example of refined Chinese ladies, is your mom.

可是客人在吧 我总觉得有点拘谨
But I always feel a bit restrained with the presence of the guest.

再坚持一天 客人一走,大家就可以放松了
Hold on for another day. We’ll be free after the guest is gone.

今天是初五 明天是初六 我估计呀 苏珊也该回学校了
Today is the fifth and tomorrow is sixth. I presume it’s already time for Susan to be back to school.

破五吃饺子 今天大家齐上阵 老伴儿 发围裙
On the fifth day of the New Year, let’s make jiaozi together. Darling, give us an apron each.

哎 来 你的 你的 给你
Okay. Here you are. And this is yours. And you take this.

今天玩儿得太开心了
Today, we really had a good time.

尤其是那个叫卖 非常非常好
The imitation of former hawkers’ chants was just wonderful! Very very good!

你都听懂了
Did you understand him?

大概百分之三十
About 30 percent.

听力的初级水平
Still on initial level in hearing comprehension.

对 初级水平
Yes, initial level

我当时光顾着喝茶汤 一心不能二用
At that time, my attention was focused on the tea I was drinking. One can’t run after two horses at the same time.

还有这个糖葫芦 越看越想吃
Toffe-hawthorns, the more I see, the more I want to eat.

哎哟 您就留点儿胃口吧 一会儿回家还得吃饺子呢
You’d better leave room for jiaozi dumplings that we’ll eat when we are back.


Yes

吃饺子
Jiaozi?

我们的习俗啊 大年初五得吃饺子
It’s our custom to eat jiaozi on the 5th day of the first lunar month.


Right.

我喜欢吃饺子 我爱吃饺子
I enjoy eating jiaozi, I love jiaozi.

麦苗 你们也去庙会了
Mai Miao! Did you also visit the temple fair?

您也去啦
And you too?

是啊 这是谁啊
Exactly, Who’s this young lady?

这是我的同学 苏珊 美国来的
This is Susan, my schoolmate from America.

这位是我邻居 大家都叫她刘姐
She is our neighbor. We all call her Sister Liu.

刘姐 你好 我是苏珊 您贵姓 您叫什么名字
Hi, Sister Liu, I’m Susan. What’s your surname? And your full name?

我姓刘 我叫刘丽云
My surname is Liu, and my full name is Liu Liyun.

刘姐 你好 过年好
Hi, Sister Liu, Happy New Year!

苏珊过年好
Happy New Year, Susan!

***

您贵姓? 您叫什么名字? Nin gui xing? Nin jiao shen me ming zi?
What’s your surname? And your full name?

我姓刘, 叫刘丽云. Wo xing liu, jiao Liu Li yun.
My surname is Liu, and my full name is Liu Liyun.

***

中国人的姓名是 姓在前 名在后
A Chinese name consists of two parts, the surname and the given name. The surname is placed before the given name.

如果你想知道对方姓什么 有礼貌的问法是 您贵姓
If you want to know someone’s name, the polite way to ask is “nin gui xing?”

想知道对方的全名 就问 您叫什么名字 或 您叫什么
If you want to know his or her full name, just say, “nin jiao shen me ming zi?” or “nin jiao shen me?”

如果对方年龄比你小 你可以问 你姓什么 你叫什么名字
If the person you ask is younger than you, you may ask “ni xing shen me?”,”ni jiao shen me ming zi?”

假设你叫刘丽云 那么在回答别人询问的时候 你可以说 我姓刘 或者说 我姓刘 叫刘丽云
If your name is Liu Liyun. When answering someone’s inquiry about your name, you may say “wo xing Liu” or “wo xing Liu, jiao Liu Liyun.”

***

您就是苏珊阿姨吧 阿姨好
Are you Auntie Susan? Nice to meet you.

你好 小朋友 你叫什么名字
Hello, young friend. What’s your name?

我叫乐乐
My name is Le Le.

哦 你就是乐乐呀
Oh, you’re Le Le!

***

喂 您好
Hello!

请问老李在家吗
May I ask if Lao Li is at home?

我舅舅不在 请问您是
No, my uncle is not at home. Who is this?

我是他的同事 想问他剧本的事儿
I’m his colleague. I want to ask him about the script of a play.

哦 那我转告他吧 您贵姓
Oh, I’ll tell him about it. What’s your name?

我姓林 叫林峰
My surname is Lin and my full name is Lin Feng.

谢谢你 再见
Thank you, good bye.

再见
Good bye.

***

小伟 馅儿要少放点盐
Xiaowei, and put less salt in the filling.

老伴儿 这面要多揉一会儿
Darling, knead the dough a bit longer.

刘雅 这个饺子要薄皮大馅
Liu Ya, the wrappers should be thin and the fillings should be big.

包出形状来
Should be in good shape.

你就别操心了
Don’t worry.

能不操心嘛
How can I not worry?

这顿饺子 具有展示我国传统美食的重要意义
This meal of jiaozi is of great important in showing our traditional Chinese gourmet food.

要不您来
I should let you do it?

小伟 咱爸不干家务已经很多年了
Xiaowei, dad hasn’t done any house chores for a long time.

就剩动动嘴了
All he had done is the use of his tongue.

说什么呢
What to say?

就剩给我们大家伙指导了
Just give us all instructions.

我们可不缺指导
But I am not short of instructions.

您亲自来得了
You’d better do it alone.

对呀 爸爸 来来来
Yeah, Dad, come on.

亲自来 亲自来
Come on, do it.

来来来
Come on.

大家一起来 一起来
Let’s do it together.

我就当个艺术总监就行了
I just want to be general artistic supervisor.

我们回来啦
Here we are!

哎呀 这个大熊猫啊
Oh, what a big panda!

就等着你们了
We’re waiting for you

庙会逛得怎么样
How was your tour of temple fair?

收获很多
I’ve gained a lot.

要不是因为吃饺子呀 她这串冰糖葫芦也进肚了
If it were not for the jiaozi dinner, this string of toffee hawthorns would have long been in Susan’s stomach.

饺子在哪里
Where are the jiaozi dumplings?

饺子的萌芽状态
The early form of jiaozi

苏珊 你看 这个是面 这个呢是馅 然后把这馅包到这个饺子皮里 然后这么一握 就成饺子了
Susan, this is the dough and this is the filling. Put the filling in the dough wrapper. Then just squeeze the wrapper with your fingers and a jiaozi is done.

真的啊
Really?

苏珊呀 我们想邀请你一起包饺子 不知道你有没有兴趣呀
Susan, we’d like you to make jiaozi with us, though we don’t know if you’re interested.

我包饺子 太棒了
Make jiaozi? Terrific!

先洗手
Wash hand first.

这饺子皮擀的
Look at this wrapper.

非常好
Very good!

跟它的伙伴们不太一样
But not as good as its brothers.

初学乍连 这就算擀得不错了
But as a novice, you’re kneading already well enough.

苏珊呀 包一个饺子试试
Do you want to try and make one?

你看 就这样
Look, just like this.

一握 这就成了
Give it a squeeze with your fingers and it’s done.

Great 一握 就成了
Great! Just a squeeze and it’s done!

这是什么
What’s this?

苏珊包的饺子
Jiaozi made by Susan.

这跟它的伙伴们就更不像了
But it looks even more unlike its brothers.

啊 露馅儿了
Wow, the filling is out!

你们笑什么
What are you laughing about?

你知道”露馅儿”是什么意思吗
Do you understand the meaning of “lou xianr”?

馅儿露出来了
The filling is out.

“露馅儿”就是 把原本隐瞒的事实暴露了
“lou xianr” originally means to expose unintentionally something secret.

你好比啊 一只伪装好的狐狸 一不小心露出了它那尾巴
It’s equal to a disguised fox showing its tail due to its carelessness.

这包饺子没学会 先学会一词儿
You haven’t learned how to make jiaozi yet but you’re already learned a new word.

是 学会了 学会了 “露馅儿”
Yes. I’ve learned it, “lou xianr”

这包饺子可不能露馅儿 要不然 放进锅里一煮就成片儿汤了
But you can’t “lou xianr” when you make jiaozi. Otherwiswe, it’ll become a dough soup when boiled

我们春节包饺子还有一个传统节目 这个奥妙啊就在馅儿里
There’s also a traditional practice in making Spring Festival jiaozi. The secret lies in the jiaozi filling.

停 就先说到这儿啊 留点儿悬念
Stop, that’s about all we should talk about. Leave room for suspense.

留点儿什么悬念
Leave room for suspense?

舅舅把编剧的技巧用这儿了
My uncle has applied his theatrical techniques here!

苏珊 你电话
Susan, a phone call for you.

爸爸
Oh, dad!

等我一会儿 等我会儿
Wait for me. Wait for me.

哎 谁有硬币
Anybody have a coin?

我早就准备好了 而且啊都消完毒了
I’ve already prepared one. And it’s been disinfected.


Good

我知道这是干什么的
I know what it is used for.

爷爷说要留着悬念
Your grandpa wants to keep it as suspense.

悬念 悬念
Suspense, suspense.

我回来啦
I’m back!

苏珊 你和你爸谈得怎么样
Susan, how was your talking with your dad?

啊 那怎么办啊
Oh, how are you going to deal with it?

别说这些 继续包饺子
We’ll talk about it later. Go on making jiaozi.

***

这是什么? Zhe shi shen me ?
What is this?

谁有硬币? Shui you ying bi?
Who has coins?

在汉语中 我们用疑问代词” 谁”来询问具体的人
Chinese interrogative pronouns include “shui” (who),

用”什么”询问事物
“shen me” (what),

用”哪儿或哪里”询问地点
“nar/na li” (where),

用”什么时候或几点” 询问时间
“shen me shi hou/ji dian” (when, what time),

用”怎么”询问做事的方式
“zen me” (how),

用”几或多少” 询问数量 这就是用疑问代词的疑问句
and “ji/duo shao” (how many, how much).

***

在哪儿呢
Where?

你找什么
What are you looking for?

我找眼镜
My glasses.

这卧室里没有 书房也没有 这厨房也没有
I didn’t find them in the bedroom nor in the study, nor in the kitchen.

那 这是什么
What are they?


Oh!

***

我有音乐会的票 你们谁想去
I’ve got a concert ticket. Any of you wants to go?

我想去
I want to go!

你呢
What about you?

什么时候的
What time is it for?

明天晚上七点
Tomorrow 7 pm.

明天晚上我有事儿
I’m tied up tomorrow night.

苏珊 你去吧
Susan, you’d better go.

你有什么事儿啊
Can you be more specific?

不告诉你
I’m not going to tell you.

太好了 该吃饺子啦
Great! Jiaozi is ready!

苏珊是咱们家的客人 请她吃第一个
Susan is our guest, so let her eat the first jiaozi.

煮熟的饺子更可爱
These boiled jiaozi look so lovely!

直接吃吗
Eat it directly?

我给你示范一下 先把筷子拿起来 然后夹一个饺子 蘸一下料 放在嘴里
Let me show you. Take up the chopsticks first. Pick up one with your chopsticks and dip it in the sauce. Put it in the mouth.

嗯 香 香
Oh, it tastes so delicious!

它太滑了
It is so slippery.

小伟 去把那刀叉拿来
Xiaowei, get a knife and fork over here.

不用 我自己备了
No need. I have a set of my own.

来 请请
Help yourself.

这样是吗
Like this?

太好吃了
So delicious!

好吃就多吃
Eat more if it’s delicious.

来来来
Help yourself

苏珊阿姨 你是不是今天吃完饺子 明天就走了
Auntie Susan, after eating jiaozi will you be leaving tomorrow?

我往哪儿走呢
Leaving for where?

你不是要去学校吗
Don’t you want to go to school?

乐乐 不许乱说
Le Le, don’t talk nonsense!

你们不欢迎我吗
You do not welcome me here?

没有没有 哪有的事儿啊
Of course, you are.

苏珊 你能来到我们家 我们非常高兴
We’re very pleased that you came to my home.

对对
Yes, yes.

我们欢迎你
We all welcome you to be here.

我们大家都喜欢你
We all like you.


Yes

你愿意在我们家住多久都行
You can stay here as long as you like.

对对对
Right, right.

那太好了 那我就不走了
Great! Then I won’t leave.


Oh?

我要 我爸不要
I want, but my dad doesn’t.

事情是这样的 由于苏珊呢太热爱中国文化 她没跟家里打招呼 就来中国来留学了
The fact is like this: Susan loves Chinese culture very much. She came to China to study without telling her family.

苏珊阿姨是偷跑出来的
Auntie Susan ran away from home?

我要独立 我爸爸同意了
I want to live independently, and my dad has agreed.


Great!

等会儿 我还没说完呢 这个独立也包括经济上的独立 她老爸再也不会给她寄钱了 她要勤工俭学 为了省钱 她要在咱家永远地住下去
Wait, I haven’t finished yet. The independence also includes her financial independence. From now on, her father would not send her any money. Susan has to work her way through college. In order to save on her expenses, my good friend will continue to stay in our home.

没关系 以后啊 你就把我们这儿当成你自己的家
No problem. From now on, just take this as your own home.

我们呢也不拿你当外人了
We’ll not take you as an outsider.

咱们今天是初五吃饺子 咱们正月十五接桩儿咱们就吃元宵
Today, the Fifth Day, we are eating jiaozi. And on the 15th Day, we’ll eat sweet dumplings.

元宵
“Yuanxiao”?

那个就像乒乓球一样的甜饺子
A kind of jiaozi in the shape of a ping-pong ball.

太棒啦 太棒啦
That’s wonderful!

来来来 吃吧 快吃吧
Come on, help yourself.

来 喝饺子汤里
Come on and drink a bowl of jiaozi soup.

原汤化原食
Original soup for original food.

什么
What?

就是用煮饺子的汤 来帮助消化饺子
Which means drinking the jiaozi soup helps you digest the jiaozi you’ve eaten.

这是吃饺子的最后一个节目
This is the last part of the jiaozi program.

最后一个节目 那你们说的那个悬念呢
The last part? What about that suspense?

哦 对了 还有悬念
Oh, yeah, that suspense!

老伴儿 现在可以说了吗
Darling, can you say it now?

这奥妙就在这饺子馅里
The secret is in the jiaozi filling!

按照我们中国过年的传统啊 包饺子的时候呢 要包一个有特殊馅的幸运饺子
According to the custom, there should be a goodluck jiaozi made during the Spring Festival.

在这个幸运饺子里 我们放了一枚硬币
There is a coin put in the good-luck jiaozi.


Right.

谁吃到这个饺子呀 谁就是最幸运的人
Whoever ears that jiaozi will be the luckiest of the family.

他们把我想说的都说完了
They said all I wanted to say.

幸运饺子 真有趣
Good luck jiaozi, very interesting!

慢着慢着 这枚硬币谁吃到了
Wait a moment, who ate the good-luck jiaozi?

没赶上我
Not me.

不是我 不是我
Not me. Not me.

我没吃着
I didn’t bite it

那这枚硬币到底让谁给吃到了
Strange, who ate that coin?

是不是露馅儿了 煮在锅里了
Maybe, that jiaozi was broken in the boiling water.

哎哟
Oh!

怎么了
What’s wrong?

坏了 他把硬币吃肚子里了
Too bad, he may have eaten that coin.

哎哟
Oh….

快上医院
Send him to the hospital!

等等 乐乐 你手里攒的什么
Wait, Le Le, what’s in your hand?

啊哦
Oh….

乐乐 你露馅儿了
Le Le, you’ve let the cat out of the bag!

Advertisements