Subtitles for Episode 4 – Breakfast

小伟 你就别跟这儿熬着了 快睡觉去 早睡早起身体好
Xiaowei, you don’t have to stay here any longer. Go back and sleep. Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy.

苗 说你呢 早点儿睡啊
Mai Miao, she’s talking to you! Early to bed and early to rise!

我睡得晚 那是为了陪苏珊倒时差
I got up late because I accompanied Susan to recover from jet lag.

还倒时差呀 这都倒了多少天了
How many days still needed to fully recover?

我现在可精神了 明天不是有一组纪念邮票要首发嘛 我一会儿就排队去
I’m not sleepy at all. Tomorrow there’ll be a release of a new set of commemorative postage stamps. In a moment, I have to line up to buy the stamps.

你别管别人 管好你自己啊
Don’t talk about others, just think about yourself.

早点儿起 锻炼锻炼身体多好啊
How good it would be get up early and go out and do some exercise!

睡觉去
Go to bed

行行 好好 我睡觉
All right, all right. I’m going to bed now.

你这孩子
You, naughty boy.

瞧你儿子 管他她都不爱听
Look, he wouldn’t listen to me.

你说话太不精炼 其实就俩字”早点儿”
Your words weren’t brief enough. Actually, just two words “Be early”.

好 下回你管
Okay, you take care it.

回头我把这俩字写得大大的 贴他床头上去
Then write those two words big enough on a piece of paper. And put it up at the head of his bed.

苏珊 今天星期几
Susan, what day of the week is today?

今天星期三 怎么了
Today is Wednesday. What’s the matter?

今天不是有一组邮票要首发嘛 我怕记错了日子 我上回就记错了
Is it that a set of postage stamps will hit the market today? I fear I might have misremembered the release date of a set new stamps. I did last time.

不行 今天晚上我早一点儿睡 我就不信我时差倒不过来
So I must go to bed early. I don’t think I won’t recover from jet lag.

998只羊
998 sheep…

990
990…

990
990…

苏珊 苏珊 我先出去了 我拿邮票是限量供应的 我去晚了就快卖没了
Susan, I’ve got to go now. There is a limit to the number of such stamps. If I am late, I may fail to buy any.


Oh!

你怎么这么早就睡了 睡得着吗
Why did you go to bed so early. Can you fall asleep?

睡不着也得睡 明天早起
I have to even if I can’t. I’ll get up early tomorrow, too.

早起 起得来吗你
But can you get up early?

起不来也得起 我要赶紧倒时差
But I have to even if I can’t. I have to overcome my jet lag the sooner the better.

再说 舅妈说得也有道理 早睡早起身体好
Yes, what your aunt said is reasonable. “Early to be and early to rise makes a man healthy”.

也对 早上起来以后啊你可以出去转转
Yeah, try and get up early tomorrow and go out for a stroll.

早上外面可热闹了
There are lots of activities outside in the morning.

是啊 好啊
Really? Very good.

那行 你先睡吧 我走了啊
Okay, go on with your sleep. I’m leaving.


Okay

晚安
Good night.

睡吧
Go to sleep

九百
900…

多少只羊来的
How many sheep have I counted?

六点
Six o’clock

苏珊 好样儿的
Susan, you’re great.

苏珊 你也起那么早啊
Hey, you’re great. You also get up this early!

我起得这么早 只是第二名
I got up this early, but only the second earliest riser?

苏珊也起来啦
Susan, you’ve also got up early.

舅舅早上好
Good morning, Uncle.

早上好
Good morning

好啊 中国有句老话 叫做 “一日之计在于晨”
Good. There’s a Chinese saying that goes, “A good start in the morning leads to the success of the entire work of the day”.

这个 “计” 也是诸葛亮发明的
Is the word “ji” also invented by Zhuge Liang?

“一日之计在于晨” 是说人一天怎么过 关键在于一天的开始
“Yi ri zhi ji zai yu chen” means that a day’s work depends on
a good start in the morning.

因此呢要珍惜光阴
So we must highly value our time.

哦 好 我明白了 我会记住
Oh, I’ll remember it.

苏珊 要不你跟我们一起出去锻炼锻炼
Susan, let’s go out and exercise together.

不不不 我自己出去转转
I’d like to get out for a stroll alone.

我听麦苗说 早上 外面有很多很有趣的事
Mai Miao said there are many interesting things to see in the morning.

行 那你出去转转吧
Okay. Then take a stroll yourself.

好 拜拜
All right. Bye bye.

别忘了回来吃早餐
Don’t forget to be back for breakfast.

吃早餐 是我从小就不会忘记的两件事之一
Eating meals is one of the two things I’ve never forgotten since my childhood

那你另一件是什么
What’s the other thing?

另一件是我的生日
My birthday.

哎 那你的生日是几月几号
Eh, what date is your birthday?

想送给我礼物吗
Do you want to give me a gift?

我是想蹭你点儿吃的
I just want to share some of your fine food.

你自己猜
Give it a guess.

这这这 这谁猜得着啊
Who can guess it right?

这这这 走 走
Let’s go.

***

今天星期几? Jing tian xing qi ji ?
What day is today?

你的生日是几月几号? Ni de sheng ri shi ji yue ji hao?
What’s your birthday?

在汉语中 年 月 日是按下面的顺序排列的
In Chinese, time is expressed in the order of year, month and date.

比如 2009年5月1日
For example, 2009-5-1

年的读法是直接读出每个数字
Each digit of a specific year should be pronounced.

比如 2009年
Example : 2009 nian

十二个月的名称 是数词1到12的后边加 “月”
Chinese months are expressed, in the pattern of numerals + “yue”.

比如 5月
Examples : 5yue

“日” 的表示法跟 “月” 相同 就是在数字1到31的后边加 “日” 或者 “号”
Chinese dates are also expressed in the pattern of numerals + “ri” or “hao”.

口语中常说 “号”
In spoken Chinese, “hao” is more often used.

星期的表示法 是”星期”的后边加数词一到六
Chinese weeks are expressed in the pattern of “xingqi” + numerals.

第七天是”星期日” 或 “星期天”
But the seventh day (Sunday) is “xingqi ri” or “xingqi tian”.

询问日期时 一般用”几”
When inquiring about a date, normally “ji” is used.

***

老李 今天星期几啊
Lao Li, what day is today?

星期四
Thursday

不对 今天是25号 星期五
Oh, no, today is 25, Friday.

哎哟 咱们不是请小雅的爸爸 妈妈 明天来吃饭吗
Oh, did we invite Xiaoya’s parents to lunch tomorrow?

一会儿得出去买点儿菜
We’ve to go out and buy some vegetables in a moment.

你先别弹琴了 咱们现在就去吧
Don’t play the piano anymore. Let’s go now.

***

苏珊阿姨 刚才我叔叔问你的生日 你没告诉他 那你能告诉我吗
Aunt Susan, just now my uncle asked you about your birthday, but you didn’t tell him. Can you tell me?

可以 我告诉你 我的生日是6月8号
Sure. Let me tell you. My birthday is June 8.

你呢 你的生日是几月几号
And yours? What’s your birthday?

你猜
Give is a guess.

***

小笼包要吗
Are you want meat buns?

我要小笼包 还有这个
I want meat buns and also this stuff.

豆浆要吗
Do you want soy milk?

早点
Breakfast?

你好 吃了吗
Miss, have you eaten breakfast yet?

要点什么
What do you want?

不吃 这个
I don’t want this.

那个不卖
They don’t sell it.

不卖 对对对
Oh, they don’t.

我可以拍照吗
May I take a picture here?

拍照 可以可以 可以拍
Sure, do as you please.

可以啊
May I?

你喜欢这个
You like this signboard?

喜欢
Yes

跟您跑太没意思了 太慢了
It’s no fun to with you, running too slow.

你懂什么
You just don’t understand.

这报上都说了 慢跑更有锻炼价值
The newspaper said running slow is more helpful for your health.

是吗
Really?

苏珊
It’s Susan!

她抱那牌子上写的什么呀
What’s written on the board she is holding in her arms?

早点
“Zaodian”!

早点
“Zaodian”!

什么意思
What does she mean?

没准儿她想开个早餐铺
Perhaps she wants to set up a breakfast stall.

早点铺
A breakfast stall.

什么 苏珊卖包子
What? Susan setting up a stall to sell breakfast?


Yes.

对什么对
That’s not a good idea.

谁说这早点它就非得卖油条啊
Who said deep-fried donuts are the only food for breakfast?

她可以卖西式早点啊 她可以卖汉堡包 三明治 还有比萨饼
She can sell Western-style cakes, such as hamburgers, sandwiches, and pizzas.

还不如炸油条呢
But she’d better sell deep-fried donuts.

老爸 今天星期几啊
Dad, what day of the week is today?

今天星期四
Today is Thursday.

星期四 那我得赶紧走了 我得把那书还了去
Thursday? I’ve to go now. Too bad, I’ve to go to return a book I borrowed.

呀 回来了
Oh, you’re back.

买的什么呀
What did you buy?

面包 火腿 沙拉酱 还有咖啡
Bread, ham, mayonnaise, coffee…

哟 我看 你买这些干什么呀
What for?

苏珊想吃吧
Does she want to eat such foods?

不光要吃 她还要开早点铺呢
Not only does she want to eat but she also wants to sell such food herself.

苏珊要开早点铺
Susan setting up a stall to sell breakfast food?

这不可能
This is impossible!

你说你 你跟我这个编剧生活了一辈子了 这点儿想象力能没有
Hey, having a playwright husband all the time, you don’t have even this little imagination?

你是说让我想象着苏珊带一围裙炸油条
Imagine Susan wearing an apron selling deep-fried donuts?

太离谱了
This is far from normal!

干吗非要炸油条啊
Who said deep-fried donuts are the only food for breakfast?

她卖西式早点不成吗 卖热狗 三明治 汉堡包
She can also sell Western-style breakfast food, hotdogs, sandwiches, hamburgers…

我不信
I don’t believe it!

我回来了
I’m back.

早起出去转转 感觉真好
It feels so good to go out for a stroll in the morning.

“一日之计在于晨”
“A good start in the morning leads to the success of the entire work of the day.”

看清楚了没有
Do you see it?

苏珊连招牌都预备好了 她这是要勤工俭学卖早点
Susan has prepared a signboard for selling breakfast food to support her studies.

看这架势 苏珊真的是要开早点铺啊
It seems she is really ready to set up a breakfast stall.

苏珊开早点铺
Susan wants to set up a breakfast stall?

卖西式早点不对呀
But it is unlikely she’ll sell Western-style breakfast food.

她是外国人 她不卖西式早点卖什么
She is a foreigner, and certainly should sell Western-style food.

中国人有几个爱吃西式早点的
But how many Chinese would like Western-style breakfast?

那你的意思就是非让苏珊卖油条
You mean we must persuade Susan to sell deep-fried donuts?

对呀 她不会我可以帮她呀
If Susan doesn’t know how to do it, I can offer her help.

你会吗
You know how to deep-fly donuts?

我不会可以学呀
Oh, I can learn if I don’t know how.

等你学会了再说吧
You’d better talk about it after you’ve learned it.

你还别不信 不会我还可以去买呢
Believe or not, I can also buy some if I really can’t learn it.

你别嗨嗨
Don’t laugh at me.

中式早点有人缘
Chinese breakfast is popular.

西式早点有特点
Western breakfast is rare and unique.

中式早点
Chinese breakfast.

西式早点
Western breakfast.

中式早点
Chinese breakfast.

西式早点
Western breakfast.

听你这意思是你要跟我打擂台
It seems you want to present a challenge to me.


Yes.

好 我奉陪到低
Okay, I’m ready to meet your challenge!

今天2月28号
Today is February 28.

干什么
What’s the matter?

记住这日子
Remember the date.

三天以后 看谁能赢
In three days, let’s see who will win.

***

今天星期四. Jing tian xing qi si.
Today is Thursday.

今天2月28号. Jing tian er yue er shi ba hao.
Today is February 28.

在汉语中 名词 名词短语或者数量词等 也可以直接在句子中作谓语 这种句子主要在口语中用来表达 时间 年龄 或者籍贯等
In Chinese, nouns and noun phrases, and numeral-classifier compounds can also be used as predicates, but many in spoken Chinese to express time, age, and birthplace.

如果要表示否定 需要在名词谓语前加上(不是)
If the statement is negative, “bu shi” (no) should be used in front of the noun predicate.

比如 今天星期四 今天不是星期四
Example: Today is Thursday. Today is not Thursday.

***

二叔 今天几号
Uncle, what’s today’s date?

今天28号
Today is 28.

两个星期以后呢
What’s the date two weeks from now?

你这个孩子 怎么问这样的问题呀
You naughty boy, how can you ask such a kind of question.

两个星期以后是5月12号 我的生日
Two weeks from now, it’s May 12, my birthday.

你怎么忘了
How can you forget it?

没忘 没忘
No, I didn’t.

怎么 现在就想要生日礼物了
Yeah, you want your birthday gift now?

不是 不过你现在想送我礼物也可以
No, but you may give me one now if you like

***

麦苗 你说什么
Maimiao, what did you say?

你舅妈不是北京人啊
Your aunt is not a Beijing native?

没错 她上海人
No, she came from Shanghai.

听说上海菜也很好吃
I heard Shanghai cuisine is also very delicious.

没错 过几天 让我舅妈给你这个馋猫 做几个上海菜尝尝
You bet. In a few days, I’ll ask my aunt to cook a few Shanghai dishes for you, a greedy cat.

对不起 麦苗 我不太明白
Sorry, Maimiao, I don’t quite get it.

你是让你舅妈给我做上海菜还是给猫做上海菜
Do you want your aunt to cook Shanghai dishes for me or for a cat?

***

三明治
Sandwiches,

油条
Deep-fried donuts

你这不是捣乱嘛
You’re messing thing up!

三明治跟油条在一块儿吃 不串味了嘛
No one would eat a sandwich with hutazi, causing both food tainted in flavor.

我怎么捣乱
I’m not messing thing up.

能吃你三明治 就不能吃我油条
After eating your sandwich, Why can’t she eat my hutazi?

这叫公平竞争
Remember fair competition!

嗯 还真串味了 但是别有风味 串味好吃 好吃
Oh, indeed a mixture of flavors! An unusual flavor which is really not bad!

吃撑了 吃不下去了
I’m full and no room for any more food!

太好吃了
It’s so delicious.

今天的早餐真棒
Today’s breakfast was terrific!

苏珊 中式早餐和西式早餐 你觉得哪个更好吃
Susan, which is better, the Chinese-style breakfast or the Western-style breakfast?

哪个更好吃
Which is more delicious?

混在一起最好吃
A mixture of both is most tasty.

可是也不能混在一起卖呀
But you can’t sell them together!

卖 卖什么呢
Sell? Sell what?

你不是说要卖早点吗
Sell breakfast.

你不是把卖早点的招牌都准备好了嘛
Have you had a signboard written out for a breakfast stall?

早点 早点也能卖
“Zaodian”? Which can also be sold?

Really “早点”是早餐
Really? “Zaodian” means breakfast?

对呀 “早点”就是早上吃的点心
Yeah, “zaodian”, food for breakfast.

那您让小伟早点起床
Why did you ask Xiaowei to “zaodian” get up?

我是说的”早点儿” 就是把”早点”后边再加一个”儿” 就变成了 “早点儿”
What I said was “zao dianr”, with the suffix “r” added to “zao dian”,

意思就是 early
meaning early

对 早点儿
Yes, “early”

就是这样子
Oh, I see.

嗨 你说这误会闹的
Hey, what a big misunderstanding!

苏珊 我跟你说啊 “早点”是早餐 “早点儿”就是那个
Susan, remember that “zaodian” means breakfast whereas “zao dianr” mean early.

小伟 你怎么不早点儿起来呀
Xiaowei, why didn’t you come home earlier?

“早点儿”就是用在这儿的
“Zao dianr” should be used this way.


Oh

说什么呢
What were you talking about?

哎 苏珊 行啊 你还真要开早点铺啊
Hey, Susan, to my surprise, it seems you are really going to set up a breakfast stall?

不 其实 我只是想早点儿起床
No, actually I just want to get up early!

Advertisements