Subtitles for Episode 55 – Father Li Learns to Drive (Part 1)

哎 爸
Hey, Dad!


Dad!

就这么定了 一会儿我就去报名
It’s all set. I’ll go and sign up in a moment.

哎呀 爸 您都这么大岁数了
Oh, Dad, you’re too old.

您就别去了
You’d better give it up.

不行
No.

人家美国老人八十多岁了还能开车旅游呢
Americans even in their eighties still drive to travel.

哎呀 那是在美国
Oh, that’s America.

咱们国家七十岁就不再准考驾照了
People over 70 years old in our country are not allowed to take a driving test.

所以 我要趁着年轻赶紧考
So I must take such a test while I’m still young

然后带着你妈旅游去
so that I can take your mom to travel.

那不行啊
That won’t do.

你们都走了 谁给我们做饭吃啊
If you’re both gone, who will cook for us?

你们是怕我们走
You’re just afraid that after we’re away,

就没人给你们做饭
no one will cook for you?

就冲这个 我还就学定了
Just because of this, I’ll definitely learn how to drive a car.

爸爸 不是那意思
Dad, I don’t mean that.

你什么意思
What do you mean?

我我 我的意思是
I… I mean

车您学会了 是吧
if you have learned how to drive,

他也没车开呀
there is no car for you to drive.

咱们家不是还有一辆旧车呢吗
Don’t we still have an old car?

就这么定了 我报名去
It’s all set. I’ll go to sign up.

爸爸 爸爸
Dad,Dad!

您别走
Don’t do, please.

这学车对您来说真的太难了
It’s too difficult for you to learn how to drive.

很难吗
Is it very difficult?

尤其是那个手动挡
Driving a car with manual transmission,

那个油门和离合要是配合不好
if you do not coordinate the accelerator and clutch well,

就特别容易熄火
it’s likely to cause a misfire.

对 我们现在有时候开着
Right. Even when we drive,

一不留神它还熄火呢
we may have misfires occasionally.

这么说对于新手来说
You mean it would be very difficult

开那辆车很难
for a new driver to drive that car?

难 非常难
Yes, very difficult.

你们现在还熄火吗
Do you still have misfires?

当然不熄了 我们现在是老司机了
Of course not. We’re experienced drivers now.

那我就学开自动挡的车
Then I’ll drive that car with automatic transmission.

我开新的
I’ll drive the new car.

你们两个技术高 开旧的
And you two are quite skilled and should be drive the old one.

什么
What?

小伟 小伟
Xiaowei,Xiaowei,

那个附近有没有什么好的驾校
is there a good driving school in the vicinity?

你去帮我报名
You go and sign up for me.

这附近倒是有那么一家还不错
There is one which is very good near here.

要不我现在带您去吧
Let me take you there now, okay?

就这么定了 我在门口等你
It’s all set. I’ll be waiting for you at the gate.

你爸好好的
Your dad just amazed me.

怎么忽然想起学车了呢
Why did he, all of a sudden, want to learn driving?

不对 舅舅早就想学了
Not exactly. Uncle has long wanted to learn driving.

你怎么知道的
How did you know?

他听到我爷爷开车去旅游
Ever since he heard my grandpa drove to travel,

就决定学开车
he has decided to learn driving, too.

嗯 闹了半天
Oh, actually

那八十多岁的美国老头是你爷爷
that 80-something American man is your grandpa!

对啊
Yes.

你爷爷经常开车带你奶奶出去旅游
Does your grandpa often drive to travel with your grandma?

对啊
Yes.

妈 我明白了
Mom, now I understand.

我爸学车这事儿啊是早有预谋
My dad’s plan to learn driving was premeditated.

他就是想啊学好了车以后
His idea is that after he has learned driving,

带您出去旅游
he’ll take you to tarvel.

啊 好啊 我得找这个老头去
Ah! Good. I must talk to him.

对 好好批评批评他
Yeah, and give him a severe criticism.

我支持他
I support him!


Ah?

呦 爸爸回来了 神速啊
Oh, Dad came back so quickly!

您报完名了
Did you sign up?

还没呢
Not yet.

您打算放弃学车
You want to give up your plan to learn driving?

谁说我要放弃
Who says I want to give up?

我忘了带身份证了
I forgot to bring my ID card with me.

老伴儿 我去给你拿
Old man, let me get it for you.

我支持你
I support you.

好老伴儿
You’re my nice old woman.

爸爸 看来这件事情已经既成事实了
Dad, it seems this has become an unalterable fact.

我们也没办法改变了
We can’t change it.

不过您用我们的车
But since you’re going to use your car

让小伟带您去驾校报名
and Xiaowei will take you to the driving school to sign up,

您得请我们哥俩吃顿饭吧
you must invite the two of us to dinner.

没问题 我请你们吃烤鸭
No problem. I’ll treat you to roast duck.

就这么定了
It’s all set.

晚上我们在烤鸭店等您
We’ll be waiting for you at the roast duck restaurant fonight.

我也去
I also want to go.

让苏珊作陪
Okay, let Susan accompany us.

***
Jiu zheme ding le,
就 这么 定 了,

wo zai louxia deng ni.
我 在 楼下 等 你。

Jiu zheme ding le, wanshang
就 这么 定 了, 晚上

women zai kaoyadian dengzhe nin!
我们 在 烤鸭店 等着 您!

就这么定了,晚上我们在烤鸭店等着您!
It’s a deal. We’ll be waiting for you at the roast duck restaurant tonight.

在汉语口语中”就这么定了”
In spoken Chinese,”Jiu zheme ding le”

可在对某事进行商量
is said when something

并最后作出决定时使用
has been settled between two persons.

哎呦 哎呦
Aw! Aw!

老唐 腰又疼了
Lao Tang, is your back aching again?

哎 没想到退休以后每天给一家人做饭
Oh, I didn’t expect that cooking would be more tiring

比上班还累
than teaching at school.

老唐 今天你就好好休息
Lao tang, you just take a good rest

别做饭了
and cook no meals today.

不做饭了
I don’t cook?

对 就这么定了
Right,it’s all set.

哎 小勇 我给肖静买了件礼物
Eh, Xiaoyong, I bought Xiao Jing a gift.

明天你帮我把肖静约出来
Can you make an appointment for us?

我想请她吃顿饭
I want to invite her to dinner

再把这礼物送给她
and give her the gift as well.

你自己去跟肖静说多好啊
It’d be much better for you to talk direct to her.

我去约她 她一定不会答应的
If I invite her, she won’t accept it.

好了,就这么定了
Okay, it’s all set.

你一定得帮朋友这个忙
You must do me this favor as my friend.

***
预备 开始
Ready, go.

等会儿行吗
Wait a minute, okay?

这还没挂好呢 真是 来
He hasn’t put the car in gear yet.

开始
Go!

奇怪了 怎么还不对呀
It’s so weird! What’s wrong?

爸 早就跟您说了
Dad, I’ve long told you

学车对您而言
learning how to drive a car

是一件很不容易的事情
is no easy job for you.

您就不信
But you don’t believe it.

对我就不信
No, I just don’t believe it!

爸 要不这么得了
Dad, I suggest

我呀替您到驾校把那个学费要回来吧
letting me go to the driving school to get back the tuition.

老伴儿 还在学呢
Old man, still learning?

该吃饭了
It’s mealtime.

我做完这道题
I’ll eat after I have finished this question.

早饭可就这么说的啊
You also said this befor breakfast.

爸 就找您这速度
Dad, according to your speed,

那监考老师也该退休了
the invigilator might have retired by the time you finish you paper.

胡说 我这题前面都做完了
Nonsense!I’ve done all the preceding question,

就剩这机械常识了
leaving only the mechanics part unfinished.

老记不住啊
I just can’t remember all the details.

对爸爸来说 学开车太难了
For you, Dad, it’s too difficult to learn how to drive.

你说这老头字去路考
The old man went to take the road test.

怎么还不回来呀
But why hasn’t he come back?

是啊 会不会考了第一
Right, Would he get first place in the test

直接去旅游了
and go traveling directly?

去 别瞎说
Shut up! Stop your nonsense!

没拿驾照呢不准上路
Without a driver’s license, no one can drive on the road.

没准咱爸成绩考得好
Perhaps Dad did so well in the test that

留下来做报告了
he was asked to stay and give a talk.

这种可能性到时蛮大的啊
The possibility is quite high.

你想咱爸考交规的是时候
Just imagine, when Dad took the test on vehicle traffic rules,

头一个交卷 是吧 又是满分 是吧
he was the first to turn in the paper and aslo got full marks, right?

哎 做报告 是吧
So it’s only natural to give a talk, right?

那还是我教的呢
I taught him how to memorize those rules.

对 军功章有乐乐一半儿
Yes. Half the medal belongs to Le Le.

对对对 军功章有我的一半儿
Yes,yes, half the medal is mine.

所以呢我要给爷爷开一个庆功宴
So I want to give Grandpa a celebration feast.

就这么定了 我准备去
It’s all set. Now I’m going to fix the dinner.


Yeah!

乐乐
Le Le.

爷爷 您怎么了
Grandpa, what’s wrong?

估计你这军功章是拿不着了
I guess you wouldn’t have the metal now,

就连庆功宴也吃不成了
and also the celebration feast.

不可能
I don’t believe it.

爷爷呢 肯定是想给我们一个惊喜
Grandpa must want to give us a surprise.

是挺惊喜的 连熄了三次火
It was a surprise indeed. I had three misfires.

看来这个学车对我来说确实是很费劲
It seems really difficult for me to learn car driving.

您别装了呀
Don’t pretend anymore.

您肯定考第一了
You must have got first place.

对 第一个不及格的
Yes, the first failing to pass the test.

啊 怎么 真的没过
Ah? Did you really fail the test?

那还有假
Yes,it’s true.

爸爸 您也别太难过了
Dad, don’t be so sad.

您以后想到哪儿玩去
From now on, if you want to go somewhere traveling,

我们带您去
we’ll take you there by car.

这坐车呀比开车舒服
Sitting in a car is more comfortable than driving a car.

真是 爸 您想想
Yes, indeed. Just imagine,

您坐车呀想看风景看风景
sitting in the car, you can do whatever you want,

想睡觉就睡觉
watching the scenery, sleeping

您看报纸打电话这都不耽误
and even reading newspapers and making phone calls.

想干什么就干什么 多好啊
You can do what you want. How nice it is!

我想踩油门 我想踩刹车
I want to step on the accelerator and the brakes.

您就好像出了这个都可以
It seems you can do everything except that.

看来我除了背交规
Except reciting the vehicle traffic rules,

我什么也干不了啊
I’m good at nothing.

您看您这话说得
What do you mean?

您这不是还会写剧本吗
Can’t you write plays?

没错儿 对我来说
Exactly.For me,

写剧本比学开车容易多了
writing plays is a lot easier than learning how to drive.

***
在汉语中”对某人来说”
In Chinese, “dui…lai shuo”

表示从某人的角度看
means from someones’s perspective.

这个结构后面紧跟着的是看法
It is followed by the speaker’s opinion.

比如 对爸爸来说 学开车太难了
Example:It is too difficult for Dad to learn how to drive a car.

乐乐 又写作文啊
Le Le, you’re writing a composition again?

这次是什么题目
What is the topic?

《让我快乐的事》
“Things That Make Me Happy”.

苏珊阿姨 对你来说
Aunt Susan, from your perspective,

什么是让你快乐的事啊
what are the things that make you happy?

嗯 有很多
Oh, a lot.

比如 学习汉语 品尝好吃的中国菜
Such as learning Chinese, eating delicious Chinese food,

跟您们全家在一起 等等 等等
living together with your family, and so on.

太多了
Lots of them!

喂 是我 小勇
Hello, it’s me, Xiaoyong.

怎么样 你跟肖静说了吗
How is it going? Did you talk to Xiao Jing?

她同意了吗
Has she agreed?

说了 她同意了
Yes, I did. She has agreed.

真的 太好了
Really, terrific!

对我来说 明天这顿饭非常重要
For me, the meal tomorrow is very important.

不过
But…

不过什么
But what?

她明天要带几个朋友一起来
She’d take some of her friends along with her.

什么
What?!

***
舅舅今天怎么不吃饭呢
Uncle, why haven’t you eaten anything today?

他路考没过
He failed the road test.

路考没过就不吃饭了
He doesn’t eat only because he failed the road test?

我们劝了他半天 他都不听
We tried hard to persuade him, but in vain.

苏珊 你帮我们劝劝他呀
Susan,can you persuade him for us?

舅妈 我考驾照的时候
Aunt, when I applied for my driver’s license,

七次才合格
I took the test seven times before passing it.

要是不合格就不吃饭
If I did not eat because of my failure to pass the test,

我早就饿死了
I would have starved to death long ago.

真的
Really?

真的 在美国对路考要求很严格
Sure. In America, the road tests are very strict.

真的
Really?

真的
Yes.

太好了 就这么定了
Great! It’s all set.

你决定吃饭了
You decide to eat?

还吃什么饭哪
Why should I eat?

我赶紧报名补考去
I must hurry to sign up for a make-up test.

老伴儿 这次没熄火吧
Old man, you didn’t have to misfire this time, did you?

那当然了
Of course not.

祝贺爷爷补考成功
Congratulation on Grandpa’s successful make-up test!

补考就不要祝贺了
I need no congratulations for a make-up test.

爸 您还真要带我妈出去旅游啊
Dad, do you really want to take my mom on a trip for sightseeing?

那当然了
Of course.

老伴儿 今天咱们准备准备 明天出发
Old woman, let’s pack up today and start off tomorrow.

真的
Really?


Sure.

等等等等 爸妈你们都走了
Wait,wait. If you are both gone,

那谁给我们做饭哪
who will cook for us?

爷爷奶奶 你就带我去吧
Grandpa and Granny, please take me with you.

他们做饭太难吃了
The food they cook is too nasty to eat.

扳灯 挂档 松手刹
Click on the light, put in gear, and release the hand brake lever.

麦苗 你不是也有驾照嘛
Mai Miao,do you also have a driver’s license?

你陪舅舅练会儿车去
Come and accompany me while I’m practicing driving the car.

我啊 我不行
Oh, I can’t.

我拿了驾照以后
Since I got my driver’s license,

我都没摸过车
I have never touched a steering wheel.

舅舅 我想起一个人来
Uncle, I’ve thought of someone.

走走 走走走
Let’s go.

那行这事儿就这么定了
Okay, it’s all set.

我还有事儿我就先走了啊
I have something to do, so I have to leave.

你慢走啊
Take care.

别送了啊
Don’t bother to see me out.

咱们也走吧
Let’s go, too.

不不 李大爷 咱稍等一会儿
No,no. Uncle Li, wait a moment.

我看看地图 看看哪人比较少啊
Let me study the map to see if there is any place with fewer people.

人少的地方能练出车技来吗
Can I improve my skill if I practice driving at a place with fewer people?

Advertisements