Subtitles for Episode 59 – Almost, About the Same

开饭了
Meal is ready.

来了
I’m coming.

舅妈不在家 我给大家做饭了
Aunt is away. So I cooked the meal.

你做的饭呀
You cooked the meal?

你上次炒菜
When you stir-fried last time.

差点儿把眉毛给烧了
you nearly had your brows burned.

哪里烧了 眉毛好好的
They weren’t burned at all. They are intact.

你们尝一尝
Everybody, taste it.

咸死了
It’s so salty!

怎么会呢
How can that be?

舅舅 你尝一尝
Uncle, taste it.

尝尝
Let me taste it.

天哪 苏珊 你放了多少盐哪这是
Good heavens! How much salt did you put in?

苏珊 你放了半罐子的盐呀
Susan, you put in a half jar of salt!

里面明明还有一点儿
Obviously, there is still some in it.

差一点儿 懂吗
Nearly, do you understand?

你们 什么差一点儿啊
Look, not at all nearly.

明明就是放了半罐子的盐
Obviously, you put in a half jar of salt.

哎呀 我跟你说不清楚
Oh, I can’t explain clearly to you.

麦苗 麦苗
Mai Miao, Mai Miao!

哎 来了
Yeah, coming.

舅舅回来了
Uncle, you’re back.

你要的那种洗发水啊有两种包装
There are two kinds of packaging for the shampoo you asked me to buy.

我不知道买哪个好
I don’t know which kind you want.

我拿不定主意
I was unable to decide.

所以您就都没买
So you didn’t buy it?

所以我就都买了
So I bought both.

谢谢舅舅 谢谢
Thank you, Uncle. Thanks.

哎呀 我刚才骑自行车撞人了
Oh, just now I hit someone when I was riding my bike.


Ah?

哎呀 呸 差一点儿
Oh, bah, nearly!

你到底是撞上人还是没撞上人哪
Did you exactly hit someone or not?

哎呀 苏珊不是说了嘛 “差一点儿”
Hey, didn’t Susan say “nearly”?

对对对 差一点儿
Yes, yes, nearly.

差一点儿
Nearly?

苏珊呀 你对这个“差一点儿”
Susan, how much do you understand

它的意思明白了多少啊
the phrase “chàyīdiǎnr”?

当然明白
Of cource, I do.

刚才 我的手差一点儿受伤
Just now my hand was nearly injured.

流血了
It’s bleeding.

楼上有创可贴
There are Brand-Aids upstairs.

我给你拿去
Let me go get some.

这手都流血了
Her hand is bleeding.

还差一点儿 她还差一点儿撞人
But she said nearly injured, nearly hit someone.

她不会真把人撞了吧
Would she really hit someone?


Yeah!

我说姑娘
Listen to me, miss.

小伙子 瞧清楚再说
Young man, see clearly whom you’re talking to.

对不起大爷 对不起 对不起
Excuse me, sir. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.

我是找一位姑娘
I’m looking for a girl.

你上我们家到处找什么姑娘啊
What girl are you looking for in our home?

我找一位外国姑娘
I’m looking for a foreign girl.

外国姑娘
A foreign girl?


Yes.

你找她有什么事儿吗
Why are you looking for her?

刚才发生了一起车祸
Just now there was a traffic accident.

车祸
A traffic accident?

她撞的人就是我妈
My mom was hit.

看来苏珊真撞着人了
It seems Susan did hit someone.

大夫说是腿部韧带扭伤了
The doctor said her leg ligament was injured.

还把人撞伤了
She injured her?

反正就是有人看到
Anyway, some people saw

那个外国女孩进了这个小区
that foreign girl enter this residential quarter.

她还肇事逃逸
Did she hit and run?

大爷 您可一定要告诉我
Sir, you must tell me

那外国姑娘在哪儿啊
where that foreign girl is.

我必须得找到她
I must find her.

冷静 冷静 冷静
Calm, Calm, calm.

那你怎么就知道外国姑娘就住我们家呢
How did you know that foreign girl lives with our family?


I…

那你知道她是哪国人吗
Do you know which country she is from?

她是
She is…

她叫什么吗
What’s her name?

她叫
She is called…

年龄 身高 体重
Her age, height and weight?

不知道
I have no idea.

喂 现在回医院
Hello? You want me to go back to the hospital?

好好好 好
Okay, sure.

这是我的名片
This is my business card.

上头有我的电话
There’s my telephone number on it.

那我走了啊
I’ve got to go.

再见啊
Goodbye.

哎呀 这事儿到底该不该告诉苏​​珊呀
Oh, should we tell this to Susan or not?

我拿不定主意
I’m still undecided.

我看呀 还是跟苏珊实话实说吧
In my opinion, we’d better tell Susan the truth.

***

Wǒ ná bù dìng zhǔyì.
我 拿 不 定 主意。
I’m still undecided.

【拿不定主意】

在汉语中
In Chinese,

表示犹疑 无法决定的一种常用说法是
the most common expression for being unable to make up one’s mind is

“拿不定主意”
“Ná bù dìng zhǔyì” – undecided.

你这次去天津见到了老朋友
You must have been very happy

特别高兴吧
to see your old friend in Tianjin, right?

是啊 我们一年多没见面了
Yes, indeed. We haven’t seen each other for more than a year.

你可以请他到北京来玩
You may invite him to Beijing to have fun together.

他下个周末要去西安
He’s going to Xian next weekend.

还想让我跟他一起去呢
and also wants me to go with him.

那你去吗
Do you want to go?

我想去
Yes, I do.

可是还得准备期中考试
But I have to prepare for the midterm exam.

我有点儿拿不定主意
I’m still undecided.

我回来了
Here I’m back.

你上哪儿去了 这么晚才回来
Where did you go? You came back so late.

别提了 我陪刘姐逛街去了
Gosh, I accompanied Sister Liu to go shopping.

她呀 买东西总是拿不定主意
She is always iffy when buying things.

哎呀 累死我了
Oh, I’m totally burnt-out.

你歇着 晚饭我来做
You take a rest. I’ll cook dinner.

我买了烤鸡和熟牛肉
I’ve bought a roast chicken and some cooked beef.

你炒个青菜 做个汤就行了
All you have to do is cook a vegetable and a soup.

***

没事儿
It doesn’t matter.

不用安慰我这颗受惊的心
You don’t need to console my shocked heart.

苏珊 你那颗受惊的心
Susan, your shocked heart

我们暂时就不安慰了
has not to be sonsoled for the moment.

我们现在更担心的是老太太的腿
Right now we’re more concerned about the old lady’s leg.

啊 老太太的腿跟我有什么关系
Ah! The old lady’s leg had nothing to do with me.

苏珊 如果你做了错事
Susan, if you did something wrong,

那就要对这件事承担责任
you should assume responsibility for it.


Yes.

等将来我做错了事儿
If any day I do something wrong,

一定会承担
I’ll certainly assume responsibility for it.

麦苗跟她说
Mai Miao, you talk to her.

你撞了人怎么不承认呢
Why do you refuse to assume responsibility for bitting the lady?

我撞人 绝对没有
I hit the lady? Absolutely untrue!

苏珊 这个问题重大
Susan, this is a very serious issue.

受害人和目击者都证实你撞了人
The victim and eyewithnesses all proved that you hit her.

我只是差一点儿撞到那个小男孩
I just nearly hit a small boy.

等等 小男孩儿 不是老太太吗
Wait a minute. Just a small boy? Not an old lady?

你确定
Are you sure that

在你差一点儿撞到那个小男孩儿之前
before you nearly hit that small boy,

有没有撞到过一个老太太
you hadn’t hit an old lady?

你们好像很希望我撞人啊
It sounds like you wish I had hit someone.

怎么会呢
How could that be?

反正我没撞人 差一点儿
Anyway, I hit no one. I nearly hit one.

差一点儿到底是差多少呢
But how nearly exactly?

你对这个“差一点儿”的含义
How much do you understand

到底理解了多少呢
the phrase “chà yīdiǎnr” ?

你是撞上了
Did you hit the person head-on,

还是差几公分擦肩而过呢
or just a few centimeters stop short of brushing past him?

你们根本不理解
You just don’t understand

“差一点儿”是什么意思
the meaning of “chà yīdiǎnr”!

看来苏珊还真没撞人
It seems Susan truly didn’t hit anybody.

舅舅 您说是不是有坏人想讹诈苏珊
Uncle, do you think some bad guy wants to blackmail Susan?

怎么可能呢
How can that be possible?

人家儿子都找到咱家来了
Her son came to our home to look for her.

没准儿他是个骗子
Maybe he is a fraudster.

是不是骗子马上就能知道
we’ll know at once whether he is a fraudster or not.

去把那个拿来
Bring that thing here.


Let’s go.

拿这个干吗去啊
What are you taking this for?

打骗子去啊
I’m going to beat the fraudster.

他肯定是骗子
He must be a fraudster.

既然还没搞清楚
Since we still haven’t got it clear,

就先不要下结论
we should not jump to conclusion so early.

舅舅的意思是说
Uncle means

让你把电话号码拿来
you should bring that business card here

让他带着他母亲来当面指认
and tell him to bring his mother here for identification purposes.


Oh.

***

Jìrán hái méi gǎo qīngchǔ,
既然 还 没 搞 清楚,

jiù xiān bù yào xià jiélùn.
就 先 不 要 下 结论。

Since we’re still unclear about the fact,
we’d better make no conclusion whatsoever.

【既然⋯⋯就⋯⋯】

“既然⋯⋯就⋯⋯”是汉语中一种很常用的句式
“Jìrán… jiù…” is a very common Chinese sentence pattern.

我们用“既然”提出一个
“Jìrán” is used to express

已经成为事实或已经肯定的情况
something factual or confirmed,

后边用“就”表示根据这个情况做出推断
whereas “jiù” is used to express a judgment based on the fact.

后一个分句也可以用“也”“还”或问句形式
“Yě” or “hái” or an interrogative sentence can also be used in the second clause.

小伟 帮个忙行吗
Xiaowei, can you do me a favor?

我想请麦苗去听音乐
I wanted to invite Mai Miao to a concert.

可她拒绝了
But she refused.

你帮我去说说
Can you put in a good word for me?

她不会听我的
She won’t listen to me.

既然这样 那就算了
Since that’s the case, forget it.

我走了
I’ve got to go now.

你先别走
Wait a minute.

我跟你商量件事儿
I’ve something to discuss with you.

什么事儿啊
What is it?

既然麦苗不去
Since Mai Miao doesn’t want to go,

你拿着音乐会的票就没有用了
Your concert tickets will be useless.

给我吧
Give them to me.

我请肖静去听音乐
I’ll invite Xiao Jing to the concert.


Hey!

麦苗 我想去那边看看
Mai Miao, I want to take a look over there.

你去吧 一会儿我去找你
Go ahead. I’ll get to you later.

你还没选好吗
You haven’t decided what to buy yet?

没呢 这几条都很不错
Not yet. All these are pretty good.

所以我拿不定主意买哪条
I’m still undecided which one to buy.

这好办 既然这几条你都喜欢
It’s easy. Since you like all these types,

就都买了吧
Just buy all of them.

可我没那么多钱哪
But I don;t have that much money!

***

没错儿 就是她
Yes, exactly she is the girl.

这位老太太 我是第一回见到你
Ma’am, this is my first time to see you.

我可不是第一次见过你呀
But this is not my first time to see you.

哎呀 救救我吧
Oh, help me!

现在考验我们的时候到了
The time to test us has arrived.

是站在正义一边
Should we stand on the side of justice

还是站在个人感情一边
or on the side of personal affection?

我选择正义
I choose justice.

我 我 我也是
Me, me too.

如果她要是真做了那样的事情
If she did do that kind of thing,

我们也帮不了她
no one can help her.

你们就看着办吧
You can do whatever you want.

好 走 咱们吃饭去
Good. Let’s go and eat.

您说您想吃什么
You just tell me what you want to eat.

大饭店随您挑
You may choose whatever famous restaurant.


Ah?

吃饭
Eat?

吃饭
Eat?

是啊
Yes.

这是什么规矩啊
What kind of rule is it?

难道这吃完饭再算帐啊
You mean we settle the issue after the meal?

是人道主义吗
Is is humanitarianism?

儿子 好好地招待咱们的恩人哪
Son, do your best to entertain our benefactor.


Sure.

嗯人
Benefactor?

是啊
Yes.

“恩人”是什么意思
What does “ēnrén” mean?

这个”恩人”就是说
“ēnrén” means

当别人在危难的时候
when someone is in trouble,

你给多了他帮助
and you help them,

你就是他的恩人
you’re their “ēnrén”.

对对对
Yes, exactly.


Oh.

这位老太太 我不是你的恩人
Dear ma’am, I’m not your benefactor.

哎呀 您就是
Yes, you are.

我妈被车撞了以后
After my mom was hit,

多亏您送到医院
fortunately you sent her to hospital

而且还垫付了医药费
and prepaid the medical expense.

您说这不是恩人是什么呀
Don’t you think you’re our benefactor?

哎呀 这么说 苏珊这是做了好事儿啊
Oh, this means Susan did something beneficial.

那我是不是应该给苏珊一个拥抱
Do you think I should give Susan a hug?

你们先抱着
You may hug her.

从罪犯到恩人这落差太大
But the differnce between criminal and benefactor is too big.

我没救过这位老太太
I’ve never helped this old lady.

姑娘 就是你
Girl, it’s you.

你还为我垫付了医药费
You also prepaid my medical expenses.

是啊
Yes.

不可能
It’s impossible.

那一天我没带钱
That day I had no money with me.

您做了好事儿 还想隐姓埋名
You did a nice thing, but you want to remain anonymous.

这简直就是那外国活雷锋
You’re just a foreign Lei Feng.

我不懂你在说什么
I don’t understand what you’re talking about.

我也不认识这个雷锋是谁
And I don’t know who Lei Feng is.

我没救过人
I didn’t rescue anybody.

喂 什么 恩人找到了
Hello? What? You found the benefactor?

太好了 谢谢你们啊
Great! Many thanks!

妈 报社的帮咱们把人找到了
Mom, the newspaper people have found the girl.

那个外国姑娘叫南希
That foreign girl is called Nancy.

照片发过来
Her photo has been sent here.

您看看 是不是她
Look, is she the girl?

没错儿 肯定是她
Exactly, she is the girl.

您一定要看准了
You must see it clearly.

刚才您看见她也说肯定是她
Just now you said she was the girl for sure.

这不就是一个人嘛
It’s only one person!

哎呀
Oh!

我看看 我看看
Let me take a look.

哎呀 这不是苏珊
Oh, this is not Susan.

就是嘛 这差远了
Of course, not. Far too different.

我明白了
Now I understand.

你差一点儿找错了你的恩人
You nearly misidentified you benefactor.

差一点儿
“Chà yīdiǎnr”.

都是高鼻梁 大眼睛
Both have a high nose and big eyes.

这外国姑娘全都长得差不多
Foreign girls all look alike.

差远了
Far too different.

Advertisements