Subtitles for Episode 63 – Beijing Opera Mask (Part 2)

大爷 早点儿手工吧
Uncle, let’s call it a day.

都这么晚了
It’s getting so late.

我明天还得开张呢
My restaurant has to open as usual tomorrow.

着什么急呀
There is no hurry.

你没看见我刚画出点儿兴致来吗
Don’t you see I’ve just got in the mood to pain?

爸 你别说 画得还挺不错
Dad, I’m surprised. You do paint pretty well.

那是
That’s for sure.

肯定比乐乐画得好
Definitely much better than Le Le.

什么意思
What do you mean?

你是在讽刺我呀
You’re satirizing me.

听出来了
Can you make that out?


What?

你们别捣乱
Don’t make trouble.

爸爸是帮我画画呢
Dad is painting for me.

爸 您别理他们
Dad, don’t mind them.

他们都不懂艺术
They don’t understand art.

您接着画您的
Go on with your painting.

对 爸 您接着画啊
Yes, Dad, go on with your painting.

我这明天还上班呢
I have to go to work tomorrow.

我先回去了啊
I’m going back now.

不画了
I’m not going to paint anymore.

爸 您别不画呀
Dad, don’t stop painting.

我又没惹你
I didn’t make you angry.

您给我点儿面子
Do me a favor.

您继续画吧
Please go on painting.

你也没什么面子
You don’t deserve a favor.

我 没事儿 不画算了
Me? No problem if you don’t want to paint.

反正也画这么多张了
Anyway, you’ve painted so many masks.

我随便挑一张呗
I can pick any of them.

我挑哪一张呢
Which one should I pick?

哪一张都不怎么样啊
None of them is really very good.

我是说这哪一张都挺好的
I mean each of them is very good.

我都爱不释手了
I’d hate to part with each of them.

算你小子还有眼力
I count you as one with an eye for art.

那就把这些都拿去送他
Then just give all of them to him.

不行
No.

这要把这破玩意儿送给他
If I gave all this junk to him,

吴俊这个小子不得骂死我
We Jun would curse me to death.

什么
What?

我是说
I said

这么好的东西全送给他
if I gave all of them to him,

不能便宜那臭小子
it would too much of a favor for him.

那就送给他一张
Then just give him one.

剩下的全都挂咱家
Hang all the rest in our home.


What?

挂咱家
Hang them in our home?

每个房间挂一张
Hang one in each of the rooms.

不行
No.

为什么
Why not?

这回可真的不行
No, this time I mean it.

爸爸 说实话吧
Dad, to tell the truth,

画得太难看了
you painted so poorly!

爸 喝水
Dad, drink some water.

不喝
No, I don’t.

那看电视
Please watch TV.

不看
No, I don’t.

那您就躺着吧
Then please lie down.

不躺 我坐着
No. I want to sit.

那您就坐着吧
Then sit as you please.

我不坐 躺着
I don’t want to sit. I want to lie down.

那您就生气吧
Just remain angry if you like.

哎哎哎 你看你那点出息
Hey, hey, look, how high-minded you are!

六十多岁人了
You’re over sixty now,

为了一张画跟儿子这么较劲
bickering with our son just over a painting.

只得吗
Is it worthwhile?

怎么不值得
Why is it not worthwhile?

就这小子 他诋毁我的艺术
This brat is trying to disparage my art.

就您那也叫艺术
What art is yours?

什么
What?

不是
No.

我是说就您那个才叫艺术
I said yours is real and true art.

不过您那有点儿太艺术了
But it’s a bit too artistic.

这一般人还真欣赏不了
The average person cannot appreciate it.

您还是留着自己玩儿吧
You’d better keep them for yourself to enjoy.

你在气我你
Do you really want to piss me off?

我说这你俩要在这么较劲下去
If you two go on bickering like this,

今天谁也不许吃饭啊
neither of you should eat today.

爸 你听见没有
Dad, did you hear that?

咱俩还是和好吧
Let’s make it up now.

为了吃饭的问题
For the sake of eating,

咱们暂时停站
let’s call a truce for the moment.

谢谢啊
Thank you.

过来给我捶捶腰
Come over and massge my waist.

舅妈 来 我帮你扫地
Anut, let me help you sweep the floor.

谢谢
Thank you.

早知道这样
If I knew it would be like this,

我当初就自己上商店买个脸谱得了
I should have bought a mask from the shop.

别说那风凉话了
Stop your sarcasm.

你去啊 现在可是月底了
Go buy one. It’s the end of the month.

还有钱吗 没了吗
Do you still have any money? No?

要不爸爸借给你点儿钱
How about letting me lend you some?

谢谢
Thanks.

没门儿
No way.

您别以为我没钱
You mustn’t think that I have no money.

我都约好了卖脸谱的小老板
I’ve made an appointment with a proprietor selling masks.

在人家小勇的餐馆当面交易
We’ll make the deal at Xiaoyoung’s restaurant.

你去买东西 带我去吧
Can you take me with you when you go shopping?

就你 算了吧
Take you? Forget it.

带我去吧 对你有好处
Take me with you, which will be good for you.

什么好处
What good is it?

我会砍价
I know how to bargain.

大姐 我给您介绍一下啊
Big sister, let me introduce them to you.

这位就是买脸谱画的朋友
This is my friend who wants to buy a mask.

你好你好
Hi.

大姐 那个东西带来了吗
Big sister, did you bring that thing here?

带来了 就是这个
Yes. It’s right here.


Ah!

这个没有大伟画得好啊
It is not as good as that painted by Dawei.

大姐 这个多少钱啊
Big sister, how much is it?

十块
10 yuan.

就这十块钱这破玩意儿我拿得出手吗
Is something worth only ten yuan presetable?

你这是给我介绍什么人呢
What kind of person dad you recommend me?

大姐啊 这个画儿实在是太差了
Big sister, this painting is really too bad.

您看有没有更好一点儿的
Do you have something better?

好的 有啊
Yes, I do.

我就给你准备着呢
I have prepared it for you.

看看这个 怎么样
Look at this. What do you think?

福禄寿 大姐这张多少钱
Good luck and long life. How much is it?

一千块
1,000 yuan.

大姐 这个太贵了
Big Sister, it’s too expensive.

您能不能便宜点儿
Can you make it cheaper?

哎哟 你可看好了
Oh, look carefully.

这是大师的作品
This is a masterpiece.

可不是地毯上的破烂货
Absolutely not the kind of junk you can find at the flea market.

这个嘛 要我说 值五千
I think it is worth 5,000.

对 五
Yeah, five?

瞧人家老外 多懂行啊
Look, what a connoisseur this foreigner is!

你刚才说多少 五千
How much did you say, 5,000?

有你这么砍价的吗
Are you bargaining or not?

怎么了 那是艺术
What’s wrong? That is art.

我喜欢 我觉得值
I like it. I think it’s worth it.

姑奶奶 我来是让您砍价的
My dear lady, I brought you here to bargain,

不是让您欣赏艺术品的
not to appreciate art works.

砍价是往下砍
Bargaining is to try to have a lower price,

哪有往上抬的呀
not a higher price!

砍价必须往下砍吗
Does bargaining necessarily require a lower price?

这还用问吗
Do you need to ask this?

大姐 那个实在不好意思
Big Sister, I’m sorry.

我这位朋友啊不太会砍价
This friend of mine doesn’t know how to bargain.

不是 她不太识数
No, she is not good at numbers.

谁不适数
Who is not good at numbers?

就是
Right.

我很有经济头脑的
I have a good sense of economics.

你这有经济头脑
You have a good sense of economics?

怎么能把价往上砍呢
Why did you try to raise the price?


Get-out.

大姐 你听我说
Big Sister, listen to me.

我从很远很远很远的地方来
I came from a place far from here.

就是美国
I came from America.

办护照 办签证 坐飞机 多少钱
How much I pay for my passort and visa and air ticket?

就是为了来这里买你的脸谱
I came here just to buy your mask.

买完了脸谱
After I bought the mask,

还要坐飞机
I’ll still have to take an airplane

回很远很远很远的地方去
to return to that distant place,
就是美国
which is America.

再把画装进镜框里
I have to frame it

还要为这幅画买一套很大很大的房子
and buy a large apartment to house it.

这房子还得装修啊
Besides, I also have to fix up this apartment.

那你说这值多少钱
Tell me how much it would cost

全都是为了这幅画
just to but this mask?

你说这何止是五千
It would be far more than 5,000.

五万都不止
and even more than 50,000.

姑娘
Miss,

你从很远很远很远的地方到中国来
you came to China from afar

就是为了买我这脸谱
just to buy my mask?

没错 我很喜欢中国的脸谱
Absolutely. I love Chinese masks.

你出价一千元
Your offered price is 1,000.

你打个折嘛
Give me a discount

五百
and let me have it for 500.

谁说她不会砍价啊
Who says she can’t bargain?

她这一砍就砍下一半儿去了
She cut the price by half.

再砍一半儿也可以
If I cut my offer by half,

二百五也成
it will be 250.

姑娘 我要是二百五把这画儿卖给你
Miss, if I sold you the mask for only 250,

我就真成二百五了
I would be a real 250.

您是二百五
You 250?

小伟 售货员也能卖吗
Xiaowei, is a salesperson also purchasable?

你可别瞎搅合了
Don’t mess up.

你知道二百五什么意思吗
Do you know what 250 means?

就是形容默认智商偏低
It means someone with a low IQ.

大姐 真过意不去
Big Sister, I’m sorry.

你绝对不是二百五
You’re absolutely not a 250.

不多这幅画卖二百五十元可以吗
But can you sell it for 250?

不可以
No.

你买这个吧
You may but this one.

小伟 你买这个吧
Xiaowei, how about buying this one.

很便宜 十块钱
It’s cheap, only 10 yuan.

小伟 我们去跟她再谈谈嘛
Xiaowei, let’s go and negotiate with her again.

我不去 谁想去谁去
No, I won’t. I don’t care whoever wants to go.

***

在汉语口语中“过意不去”
In spoken Chinese, “guo yi bu qu”

可以用来表示说话人的心中不安
is used to express anxiety and embarrassment.

乐乐 这是送你的 喜欢吗
Le Le, this is for you. Do you like it?

啊 变形金刚 我的最爱
Wow, a transformer, my favorite toy!

谢谢小勇叔叔
Thank you, Uncle Xiaoyong.

小勇 你总给乐乐买东西
Xiaoyong, you always buy things for Le Le.

太让你破费了 真过意不去
I’m really sorry to have you spend so much.

嫂子 您别客气
Sister-in-law, it’s no sweat.

找麦苗吧 在她房间里呢
Are you here for Mai Miao? She’s in her room.

快去吧
Go quickly.

王奶奶 今天天气挺好的
Granny Wang, what a fine day it is today!

我推您出去转转吧
Let me wheel you out for a stroll.

姑娘 你经常来陪我
Honey, you’re always here to keep me company.

耽误了你的时间
That must have taken up of a lot of your time.

真过意不去
I’m really sorry for it.

王奶奶 您别客气
Granny Wang, it’s nothing.

您高兴 我就快乐
If you’re happy, I’m pleased, too.

对了 常跟你一起来的那个外国姑娘
Oh, yeah, why is the girl who is often

今天怎么没来呢
with you not coming today?

她去旅行了
She is away traveling.

***

怎么愁眉苦脸的
Why are you so upset?

出师不利吧
Did you get off on the wrong foot?

小伟要不我们去商店转转吧
Xiaowei, how about buying one from any of the shops?

不去了
No.

苏珊这哪是砍价呀
Susan wasn’t bargaining at all.

人家砍价是往下砍啊
People usually ask for a lower price.

她还往上长
But she tried to raise it.

我那是砍价的策略
That’s my bargaining strategy.

策略你懂不懂
Do you understand what strategy is?

对不起我还真没看出来
Sorry I couldn’t make it out.

哎哟哟 两人别生气了
Oh, you two, stop being angry.

来 我给你们留的酸梅汤
Come on. I’ve kept some plum juice for you.

快喝一碗
Drink a bowl of the juice.

我不喝
No, I won’t.

谁爱喝水喝
I don’t care whoever wants to drink it.

这贵的我又卖不起
I can’t afford the expensive one.

便宜的我又拿不出手
And the cheap one is not presentable.

怎么办呢
What should I do?

吴俊 打电话催我了
Wu Jun! He is calling to press me about it.

怎么办啊
What should I say?

那就告诉他你的朋友出国了
Just tell him your friend has gone abroad.

不行 我都已经答应给他办事了
No. I’ve promised to help him.

你就直接说嘛 实话实说
Just tell him straight, tell him the truth.

我这面子往哪儿搁呀
How much face I’d lose!

死要面子活受罪
You’re more nice than wise.

就是嘛 办不来的事情
Yes, indeed. If you’re unable to do it,

就要果断地说不
just decisively say no.

然后和蔼地说“对不起
The amiably say, “I’m sorry.

我满足不了你的要求”
I can’t satisfy your need.”

不是 这个
No. This…

别这个那个了 赶紧接电话
Stop talking hurry up to get the phone.

怎么办
What should I say?

给我
Give it to me.

喂 你好 我是苏珊
Hello, I’m Susan,

小伟的朋友 请问你是谁
Xiaowei’s friend. Excuse me, who is this?

吴俊 你好你好
Wu Jun? Hi, how are you?

你是找小伟要画吗
Are you asking Xiaowei for the mask?

是不是
Is that him?

没错
Exactly.

完了
I’m finished.

哎呀 看我吧
Oh, count on me.

吴俊 小伟让我帮他向你赔礼道歉
Wu Jun, Xiaowei asked me to apologize to you on his behalf.

他说他很过意不去
He said he was sorry.

因为他的朋友出国了
Because his friend has gone abroad,

没办法给你画脸谱了
he is unable to have someone paint a mask for you.

真不好意思
He is really sorry.

是吗 没关系
Really? It doesn’t matter.

小伟为了我的事儿尽心了
Xiaowei has done his best to help me.

还说什么对不起呀
He shouldn’t say sorry.

画儿虽然没有
Though he hasn’t got such a painting,

可我还得谢谢他
I remain grateful to him.

就这么简单
Is it this simple?

就那么简单
It is this simple.

苏珊 请你告诉小伟
Susan, please tell Xiaowei that

我今天给他打电话就是想告诉他
I’m calling today just to tell him

脸谱不用画了
no mask should be painted.

我昨天已经买了一张了
Yesterday I bought one.

哥们儿 你怎么不早跟我说呀
Buddy, why didn’t you tell me this sooner?

***

“谁”“什么”“哪儿”“怎么”等这样的词
“shui”, “shenme”, “nar”, “zenme” and similar words,

除了表示疑问以外
in addition to expressing questions,

有时还可以前后呼应着使用
can also be used repetitively

指同一个人 同一件事
to refer to the same person the same thing,

同一地点 同一种方式等
the same place, or the same manner.

老唐 累了吧
Lao Tang, are you tired?

咱们进去喝点茶
Let’s go in to drink some tea

休息一下吧
and take a rest.

好啊 咱们喝点儿什么茶呢
Okay. What kinda of tea should we drink?

你想喝什么就喝什么
You can drink whatever kind of tea you like.

西湖龙井怎么样
How about West Lake Longjing Tea?

行 服务员 来壶西湖龙井
Sure. Waitress, a pot of West Lake Longjing Tea, please.

爸 您和妈妈最近身体怎么样
Dad, how are you and Mom lately?

我们都挺好的 爷爷还好吧
We’re both fine. How is your grandpa?

好 好得不得了
Oh, he can’t be better.

他还想一个人去云南旅行呢
He even wants to take a journey to Yunnan alone.

趁爷爷身体还好
While your grandpa is still physically fit,

他想去哪儿就让他去吧
you’d better let him go wherever he likes to go.

不过 你得陪着爷爷去
But you must accompany him on the way.

我现在哪儿有时间啊
Right now I have no time at all.

那就等我和你妈回北京再说吧
Then let’s talk about it when I and your mom are back to Beijing.

***

小勇
Hi, Xiaoyong.

哟 闲着呢
Hey, you’re free today?

别提了
You better not mention it.

前两天 为了吴俊那脸谱啊
The last couple of days, the Peking Opera mask thing for Wu Jun

差点儿没把我折腾死
nearly troubled me to death.

现在折腾完了
Now the trouble is over?

吴俊他自己买了脸谱了
Wu Jun bought a mask himself.

早知道
If I knew it would end like this,

我就跟他说声对不起不就把事儿给了了
I would have said sorry to him to conclude the whole matter.

干吗还非得折腾我哥跟我把他们啊
I wouldn’t have troubled my brother and my dad.

太好了 哥们儿 把账结了吧
Great! Buddy, would you settle the accounts now?

什么意思啊
What do you mean?

我什么时候在你这儿吃饭了
When did I eat at your restaurant?

你把那天在我这儿画脸谱
That day when your dad was painting the mask,

要了二锅头一瓶
he ordered a bottle of Er Guo Tou,

花生米 酱牛肉 猪耳朵各一盘
a plate of peanuts, a plate of spiced beef and a plate of pork ear.

后来让我早关了俩小时的门
Later, my restaurant losed two hours early.

耽误我生意也得陪点儿吧
There should be some compenssation for the loss.

后来陪你爸画脸谱
And ater, to accompany your dad to paint the mask,

我又完关了两个小时的门
we closed two hours late.

然后还满打满算 然后一共算上是
All in all, the total is…

嘿 这是你惹得事儿 我招谁惹谁了
Hey, you’re the trouble maker! I’m innocent.

Advertisements