Subtitles for Episode 66 – A New Name for Ross

小勇 梅子 麦苗
Xiaoyong, Meizi, Mai Miao

罗斯 你叫我
Ross, are you calling me?

没事儿 我就觉得你的名字很好
Not really. I just feel your name sounds pretty good

听着让人忍不住想吃
Hearing it made me think of fruit.

小心酸牙
Be careful it will set your teeth on edge

但是你为什么叫梅子
But why do they call you Meizi?

因为我姓杨 叫杨梅 大家都管我叫梅子 还有事儿吗
Because my name is Yang Mei, everyone calls me Meizi. Anything else?

你能不能帮我一个忙
Can you do me a favor?

什么事儿
What is it?

我想起一个中文名字
I want to have a Chinese name

这还不简单 我帮你起一个
It is easy. Let me give you one

就叫小刚 怎么样
Xiao Gang, what do you think of it?

听起来像你的兄弟
It sounds like the name of your brother

你也太没创意了
It lacks innovation

这个名字多有男人味儿啊
How manly this name is!

可是叫这个名单人太多了
But there are so many people having this name.

罗斯 你不信就站在大街上一喊 小刚
Poss, if you don’t believe me, you may just shout on the street : Xiaogang!

哎 谁叫我啊
Yes. Who is calling me?

没事儿 您接着 接着吃
No one. Please go on eating

看看吧 保证有人答应
You see, there is always someone answering the call

所以吧罗斯 你千万不能叫小刚这个名字
So, Ross, you mustn’t use the name Xiaogang.

那你给他起个好名我听听
Then you can give him one that is pleasant to hear

这 有了
Oh, eureka!

字典
A dictionary

什么
What?

翻字典啊
Consult a dictionary

从里边挑出仨字一凑 你不就有中文名字了吗
Pick three characters from it and put them together to form a Chinese name.

这个主意不错
This is a good idea

罗斯 你想让谁帮你起中文名字
Ross, who do you want to give you a Chinese name?

随便
Anyone

这可不能随便 那就我来吧
You can’t let anyone do that. Let me do it

梅子 纸笔伺候
Meizi, get the paper and pen ready for me


Okay

苏珊 苏珊 苏珊呢
Susan! Susan! Where’s Susan?

苏珊不在 罗斯在
Susan is not here. But Ross is here

我找到是苏珊 又不找你
I’m looking for Susan

麦苗 你来得正好
Mai Miao, you came at the right time

罗斯要取中文名字
Ross wants to have a Chinese name.

字典都准备好了
We have a dictionary here.

你随便给挑仨字就成
Please choose whatever three characters you like

好啊 纸笔伺候
Okay. Get the paper and pen ready

伺候着呢
Yes, they are ready

哎呀, 起名字
Oh, give him a name?

这个这个 唐 “唐朝” 的 “唐”
Well, well, “Tang” as in the Tang Dynasty

“唐” 好
“Tang” is good

大唐盛世 吉利
The great Tang Dynasty, a lucky surname

再找一个
Another character?

劳 “劳动” 的”劳” 怎么样
How about Lao as in “laodong” – labor?

“劳动” 的”劳” 劳”劳” 好
The “Lao” of “laodong” is good

劳动人民最光荣
The working people are most glorious.

对对对
Sure, sure

哎呀 再找一个
Oh, let me get another one

再找一个再找一个
Another one, another one.

就是它 属 ”属相”的 “属”
It is right this charater, “Shu” as in “shu xiang” – zodiac signs

罗斯 属什么的
Ross, what’s your zodiac animal?


The rooster

鸡好
The rooster is good

鸡好鸡好
The rooster is good

“属”
“Shu”?

属鸡好 属鸡好
The rooster is a good zodiac sign

那罗斯现在的新名字就是 唐劳属
Now Ross’s new name is Tang Lao Shu

这不成立唐老鸭的兄弟俩吗
Doesn’t it sound like the brother of Tang Laoya – Donald Duck?

我们回来了
We’re back

罗斯 你来了 你好
Ross, welcome! Good to see you again.

舅妈 你好
Aunt, good to see you again

我快就 我不叫罗斯林
Let me brag. I’m no longer called Ross

你要改名了
You want to change your name?

罗斯想起一个中国名字
Ross wants to have a Chinese name

他来找舅舅帮忙的
So he came to seek Uncle’s help

不用找他 找我就行
You don’t need to seek his help. I can help you

来 坐坐坐
Come on. Sit down

舅妈 您对这个起名也有研究啊
Aunt, you’re also versed in giving people names?

我太有研究了
Very much so.

你看 咱们街坊邻居的小孩的小名都是我起到 铁蛋 狗剩 妞妞
You see, all the pet names of the children of our neighbors were given by me, such as Tie Dan, Gou Sheng, Niu Niu.

铁蛋和狗剩你喜欢哪个
Do you like Tie Dan or Gou Sheng?

我喜欢妞妞
I like Niu Niu

哎哟 这个妞妞是给小女孩起的
Oh, Niu Niu is the name for a little girl

铁蛋和狗剩你选一个得了
Choose either Tie Dan or Gou Sheng

我们中国有个习俗叫这种名字的小孩好养活
It is a Chinese custom that children with such names are likely to be brought up easily.

可是我已经被杨活力那么大
But I’m already a grownup

舅妈 这个罗斯的小名吧就不用起了
Aunt, you don’t need to give Ross a pet name

他就要起一个响当当的大名
He needs a high-sounding formal name

咱们要不还是找舅舅去帮忙
How about asking Uncle for help?

好好好 舅舅就在书房 快去吧
Okay. Your uncle is in his study. Go ahead

走 罗斯
Let’s go, Ross

对 我还是喜欢妞妞这个名字
But I still like the name Niu Niu

我要推介给苏珊吧
I’ll recommend it to Susan

麦苗 中午你们想吃什么
Mai Miao, what do you guys like for lunch?

我给你们做
I’ll be fixing lunch for you

随便
Nothing special


Let’s go

随便
Nothing special?

哎哟 这随便怎么做呀这个
Oh, what should I cook for you?

***

中午饭你们想吃什么 Zhong wu fan ni men xiang chi shen me?
what do you want for lunch?

随便 Sui bian
Nothing particular.

在汉语中 导航我们想表示无所谓 或不在乎的意思时 可以说”随便” 或者 “随(某人)的便”
When you want to say in Chinese that you don’t care about something you may say “Sui bian” or “Sui (Mou ren) bian”

***

唐阿姨 买了这么多东西啊
Aunt Tang, you’ve bought so many things!

我帮您拿吧
Let me take some for you

谢谢 谢谢
Thank you

快进来休息一下 喝口水吧
Come in to have a rest and take a sip of water

不用了 东西放哪儿
No thanks. Where should I put them?

随便 你放地上就行了
Anywhere. Just put them on the floor

***

小伟 你最近总是很晚才回来
Xiaowei, you’ve been home always late recently.

忙什么呢
What are you busy doing?

我的一个朋友是导演
A friend of mine is a theatrical director

他在拍一电视剧 我给他帮忙呢
He is shooting a TV drama, and I’m helping him

拍电视剧肯定很好玩吧
It must be fun shooting a TV drama

你想不想看看
Do you want to have a look?

这个周末我可以带你去
I can take you there this weekend

可惜周末我已经跟人约好了
Pity I have an appointment this weekend

没关系 去不去随你的便
It doesn’t matter. You can go or not, it’s up to you

***

舅舅 舅舅 舅舅 您歇着呢
Uncle, uncle, are you having a rest?

没有 看书呢
No. I’m reading

罗斯来了
Oh, Ross is here

您好
Good to see you

你好 你好
How are you?

请坐吧
Please sit down

我坐哪儿
Where should I sit?

别这么拘束 爱坐哪儿坐哪儿
Make yourself comfortable. You may sit whatever you like

随便
Make yourself at home

没事儿
It’s okay

舅舅 今天我们有点事儿想求您
Uncle, we’d like to ask a favor of you

哎哟 什么大事儿啊
Oh, anything important?

说得那么客气
You’re being too polite

这个罗斯想起一个很棒的中国名字
Ross wants a very impressive Chinese name for himself

可是别人呢水平有限
All of us have quite limited knowledge

只好就求助您了
So we have to seek your help

这么高的要求啊
What a demanding requirement!

恐怕我难以胜任哪
I’m afraid I can’t fulfill this task

您就别谦虚了
Don’t be so modest

谁不知道您是京剧大编剧
Who doesn’t know you’re a famous Peking Opera playwright?

那戏里的人名不都是你编的嘛
Aren’t all the names of those stage characters cooked up by you?

那就把戏里的名字就分我一个
Just give me one of those names in the plays

这个好像不太适合吧
It is inappropriate to do so

里边很多人物都是代号 你像衙役甲 匪兵乙
Many of those characters only have a simple designation, such as Court Guard A, Enemy Soldier B.

哇 那些名字都听起来挺不错
Wow, all these names sound pretty good

你听明白了吗 就不错
Did you hear them clearly before you say they are good?

不过 我舅舅博览群书
But my uncle is well-read

他一定能帮你起一个 格调优雅 内涵丰富 意境深远的好名字
He will definitely give you a graceful, meaningful and magnificently-conceived name

还是麦苗了解我
Mai Miao surely understands me

好吧 那咱们就开始
Okay, let’s get started

这是中国的百家姓
This is the Book of Chinese Family Names

你从里面挑一个你喜欢的姓氏
You may choose a family name you like

“姓氏” 什么意思
What does “xing shi” mean?

就是 family name
It means family name

天哪 你们有这么多姓氏
Good heavens, there are so many family names!

那当然了
Of course

早在五千多年以前呀 中国人就都有了姓氏了 世世代代传承下来
As early as 5000 years ago, the Chinese already had family names which have been passed down through generation

您怎么说一半儿就停下来了
Why did you stop halfway through your explanation?

我怕罗斯不懂
I fear Ross doesn’t understand

中国的姓氏啊总共得有上千个
Altogether there are nearly 1000 Chinese family names

这里边就收录了单姓四百四十四个 复姓六十个
This book includes 444 one character family names and 60 two-character family names

那哪些姓氏名人最多
What is the most common family name?

那当然要属我们李姓了
Of course, it is Li, my family name

我们李姓那是中国的大姓啊
Li is a common family name in China

而且人才是从古道今 人才辈出
Since ancient times, there have been many talented people with this surname

唐太宗李世民 大诗人李白 大医学家李时珍 修都江堰的李冰 建赵州桥的李春
The Tang Dynasty Emperor Li Shimin, the great poet Li Bai, the ancient doctor Li Shizhen, Li Bing, the builder of the Dujiangyan Irrigation System, and Li Chun, an ancient builder of the Zhaozhouqiao bridges

哎呀 我先喝口水 润润嗓子吧
Oh, I need a drink of water to moisten my throat

罗斯 我这个舅舅啊他一把话匣子打开 他就没完没了
Ross, once my uncle opens his mouth, he never stop

你在这儿坐着好好地听
You just sit here and listen attentively

我去活动活动
I’m going out to get some fresh air

罗斯 咱们接着说
Ross, let’s continue

我们李姓要说起来
The family name Li has a long history

嗯 我都记下来了
Yeah, I’ve noted all that down

我有中文名字了
Now I have a Chinese name

问我什么名儿 我不告诉你
You want to know my name? I’m not going to tell you

我要先在大家面前宣布 拜拜
I’ll announce it in front of my classmate. Bye-bye

祝贺我 我有中文名字了
Congratulate me on having a Chinese name!

是吗 叫什么呀
Really? What’s the name?

以后我再中国不叫罗斯林
From now on, I will not use the name Ross anymore in China

不叫罗斯叫什么呀
If your name is not Ross, what is it?

我要先去学校召开发布会 想同学们宣布
I’m going to hold a press conference on campus to announce it to my classmates

你这告诉我不行啊
Can you tell me now?

小勇 你这跟谁说话呢
Xiaoyong, whom are you talking to?

罗斯 这家伙 话没说完就跑了
Ross. This guy just ran out without finishing his words

看 他跑到路口就停下来了
Look quickly, he stopped at the corner of the street

又跑回来了
And he is running back now

我觉得我先要告诉你们 我的中国的响当当的名字 就是 老子
I think I should tell you first that my Chinese name is very impressive. My name is Laozi


What!

***

您怎么说一半儿就停下来了 Ni zen me shuo dao yi ban jiu ting xia lai le?
Why did you stop halfway through your sentence?

我都记下来了 Wo dou ji xia lai le.
I have made note of that.

在汉语中 动词后边加上 “下来” 可以表示动作完成 并且有使事物固定的意思
In Chinese, a verb followed by “xia lai” expressed a completed action, often indicating that something can’t be changed

***

妈 下午电视里有个环保的节目
Mom, there’s a TV program on environmental protection this afternoon.

您帮我录下来 行吗
Can you tepe it for me?

几点的 哪个台
What time and on which channel?

三点半 中央四台
3:40pm on CCTV-4

你给我写下来吧 这样我就不会忘了
Write it down for me so that I won’t forget it

***

老李 咱们的新戏什么时候开始排啊
Lao Li, when shall we rehearse the new play?

剧本有点问题
There are still some problems with the script.

还没最后定下来
It hasn’t been finalized yet

什么时候能定下来
When could it be finalized?

团长说 下午要开会讨论
The head of the troupe said they’d have a meeting this afternoon to discuss it


Oh

***

我先得纠正一下你的发音
I must correct your pronunciation first

中国哲学之父是父子 不是老子
The founding father of Chinese philosophy was Lao Zi, not Laozi

老子是我们中国的大思考家电名号
Laozi is the name of a great Chinese philosopher.

你要是叫成老子 那就成了儿子的爸爸
If you call yourself Laozi you’ll be regarded as someone’s father

所以我说 你要是叫这个名 肯定会挨揍
So I would say, if you had this name, you’d be beaten for sure

赶紧换一个吧 免得闹误会
Change it for another one to avoid misunderstanding.

OK 我这儿还有一个候选的
Okay, I have an alternative

也不怕闹误会
This one will cause no misunderstanding

孙子
Sun zi?

是孙子 中国大军事家
Yes. Sun Zi, a great Chinese military strategist

我就叫这个了
I’ll just use this name

念成孙子也不会挨揍
Though it sounds like “Sunzi” grandson, no one would beat me

不过中国人起名啊 要避免和历史人重名 这是一种文化禁忌
Having the same name as a famous historical figure is a cultural taboo in China

那我就叫您的名字吧 李文茂
Then I’ll use your name, Li Wenmao.

不行 不行
No, no

中国还忌讳跟长辈重名
Having the same name as an older loved one is also a taboo in China

要入乡随俗
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

那我就叫小勇
Then I’ll call myself Xiaoyong

你跟我这儿掺和什么呀
Don’t try to mix up with me

我才不愿意叫小勇我可不想整天被麦苗打
I surely don’t like to be called Xiaoyong because I don’t want Mai Miao to beat me all day long.

好你个坏罗斯
You’re so wicked, Ross

看我怎么收拾你
You just wait and see how I will punish you

你给我站住
Stop there

别跑 别跑
Stop! Stop!

我要继续起名 直到满意为止
I’ll continue to find a new name for myself until I’m satisfied.

你说什么
What did you say?

Advertisements