Subtitles for Episode 76 – Love Rival (Part 1)

苏珊 咱俩中午去吃面条吧
Susan, how about eating noodles for lunch?

有那个打卤面 炸酱面
There are sauced noodles and noodles with soy paste.

这个打卤面有好多好多种卤
And for sauced noodles, there are many kinds of sauces.

他怎么那么帅呢
How handsome he is!

哎 我们到底吃什么卤呢
Hey, what sauce should we eat exactly?

高歌
Gao Ge!

啊 我怎么没听说过
Ah! Why I’ve never heard of this?

这是什么卤呢
What kind of sauce is it?

怎么连他的名字都那么帅呢
Even his name sounds so impressive!

高歌 高歌
Gao Ge! Gao Ge!

麦苗 麦苗
Mai Miao, Mai Miao!

啊 你说什么
Ah, what did you say?

我刚才问你 你到底想吃什么呢
Just now I asked you what sauce you wanted to eat.

都行
Any kind is okay for me.

你说怎么能让他注意到我呢
Tell me how I can make him notice me,

他怎么才能发现我呢
and discover me.

行 那就那么着 回头打电话啊
Okay, that’s it. Call me back, okay?


Okay.

再见
See you later.

苏珊
Susan,

他看我了 他看我了 他看我了
he is looking at me! He is looking at me!

怎么我一想他就看我了呢
Why is he looking at me the way I want?

我不会是幻觉吧
Is this not a hallucination?

你赶紧掐我一下 掐我一下
Pinch me quickly. Give me a pinch.

你认为自己能让他喜欢吗
Do you think you can make him like you?

心里没底儿
I’m not sure.

你好
Hi.

苏珊 你好
Hello, Susan.

你好
Hello.

原来找的不是我呀
Actually he is not coming for me.

今天晚上你有时间吗
Do you have time tonight?

有 有
Yes.

那咱们一起喝杯咖啡吧
How about having a cup of coffee together?

喝咖啡 好啊好啊 好好
A cup of coffee? Good, good.

就这么定了
It’s set.

校门口七点 晚上见
At the entrance of the university at seven tonight.

咖啡厅门口 拜拜
At the door of the coffee bar. Bye-bye.

拜拜
Bye-bye.

学生会主席居然知道我的名字
To my surprise, the president of the students’ union knows my name.

我听见了
I heard it.

他居然还请我喝咖啡呢
To my surprise, he would invite me to coffee.

我听见了
I heard it.

你说他为什么要请我喝咖啡
Why do you think he invited me to coffee?

难道他想追我妈
Did he take a fancy to me?

我怎么会知道
How should I know?

好了好了 先别管他
Okay, let’s stop talking about him.

走 我们先去吃炸酱面 好不好
Let’s go and eat noodles with soy paste, okay?

炸酱面 又是炸酱面
Noodles with soy paste again?

一碗面条 除了面就是酱
A bowl of noodles and soy paste!

烦死人了 不吃不吃不吃
I’m fed up with it. I’m not eating anything.

炸酱面不是黑乎乎的嘛
Noodles with soy sauce look just black.

浅颜色是面汤 麦苗
Noodles in soup are light-colored.

咖啡厅的约会
I wonder how the cafe date

不知道进行到什么程度了
is going on.

有点儿低烧
There is a low fever.

你是不是着凉了
Did you catch a cold?

我是心里没底儿
The problem is I’m not sure.

什么
What?

我头疼
I’m having a headache.

麦苗 我喝咖啡回来了
Mai Miao, I’m going to drink coffee now.

麦苗病了
Mai Miao is sick.

病了
She is sick?

看看
Look.

麦苗 你哪儿不舒服呢
Mai Miao, what’s the problem?

她有点儿低烧
She is having a low fever.

低烧 我怎么不知道呢
A low fever? Why I didn’t know it?

你那么忙 你那儿顾得上我呀
You’re too busy to notice me.

你怎么这么说话呀
What are you talking about?

我事先有不知道你会发低烧呢
I couldn’t know you’d have a fever in advance.

那你会为了我推掉约会吗
Can you give up the date for me?

这个嘛
Well…

至少我会早点回来嘛
I can at least come back a bit earlier.

谢谢 不必了
Thanks. There is no need to do so.

我可不想破坏你的好事儿
I don’t want to spoil your good time.

什么好事儿 那是
What good time? It is just…

你别说啊 我可不想听
Don’t say it. I don’t want to hear it.

好好的 你们这是怎么了
Hey, what’s all this about?

你别管 出去
It’s none of your business. Go away.

我怎么 我
What’s wrong with me?

好好 我出去还不行嘛 真是
Okay, I’m going away.

我也不在这里待着呢
I’m not going to stay here either.

要不就被人家当气筒
Otherwise, I’ll be a vent of someone’s anger.

是“出气筒”
You should say “chu qi tong”.

***

在汉语口语中
In spoken Chinese,

当你对某事没有把握时
when you are not sure about something,

可以说“心里没底儿”
you may say, “xili meidir.”

最近在忙什么呢
What have you been busy with recently?

我正在准备考试呢
I’ve been preparing for an exam to qualify for study

想考经济系张教授的研究生
as graduate student under Prof. Zhang of the Economics Department.

你学习这么好
You have such a good academic record.

肯定没问题
There shoudldn’t be any problem.

听说今年竞争很激烈
But I heard the competition is very fierce this year.

能不能考上 我心里没底儿
Whether I’ll make it or not, I’m not sure.

祝你成功
I wish you success!

你现在还炒股吗
Do you still speculate in the stock market?

不炒了 前段时间赔了不少
No. I lost quite a lot a few months ago.

你说这故事的行情
When do you think the situation of the stock market

什么时候能好转呀
will take a turn for the better?

不知道 大家心里都没地儿
I have no idea. No one is sure about it.

不过看最近的势头
But based on the recent momentum,

我还是很有信心的
I’m still quite confident.

***

苏珊 来 喝点儿饮料
Susan, come on, have a drink.

谢谢
Thank you.

我决得麦苗刚才发脾气
I feel Mai Miao’s infuriation just now

有点儿莫名其妙
was a bit incomprehensible.

对对对 今天麦苗很奇怪
Yes. Today Mai Miao behaved very strange.

中午我们去吃饭的时候
When we went for lunch,

她却说烦死了
she said she was fed up.

你们知道为什么
Do you know why?

因为炸酱面的颜色很深
Just because the color of the noodles with soy paste was too dark.

浅颜色的是沙拉酱
The light-colored is salad sauce.

麦苗平时不是那种爱乱发脾气的人哪
Normally Mai Miao is not that irascible type of person.

那就一定是因为什么事儿
There must be something else that

让她特别郁闷
upsets her a lot.

苏珊 啊
Susan. Yes?

你好好回忆回忆 今天发生过什么
Just carefully recall what has happened today

我们帮你分析分析
so that we can give you an analysis.

我们和往常一样
Just as usual,

上课 下课
we went to class and came back from class.

麦苗都很正常
Mai Miao was quite normal all the time.

再后来就是一起去吃午饭
Later we went for lunch together.

对呀 午饭前
Oh yeah, before lunch,

学生会主席约我喝咖啡
the president of the students’ union came to invite me to coffee.

我插一句
May I interrupt you?

这学生会主席是男的还是女的
Is the president of the students’ union a male or female?

男的 精英型帅哥
A male and the elite type of handsome young man.

继续
Go on.

然后麦苗就开始攻击炸酱面
Then Mai Miao lashed out at the noodles with soy paste.

等等 也就是说
Wait, wait. Does this mean that

从学生会主席请你喝咖啡开始
ever since the president came to invite you to coffee,

麦苗就一直找机会发火儿
Mai Miao has always sought opportunities to get angry?


Yes.

你去赴约回来以后
After you return from the appointment,

麦苗就想跟你吵架
Mai Miao became more quarrelsome with you?

对对 是这个样子
Yes, exactly.

你分析出什么了吗
Have you drawn any conclusion after this analysis?

分析出来了 但是我不想说
Yes, I have. But I don’t want to say it.

要么现在就说
Either you say it now,

要么永远别说
or never say anything about it.

那我还是现在就说吧
I’d better say it now.

我的结论就是
My conclusion is that

麦苗暗恋那个学生会主席
Mai Miao has secretly fallen in love with that students’ union president.

啊 是真的
Ah? Is it true?

应该是真的
It should be true.

现在你就是他的情敌
Now you’re her rival of love.

哎呀 我真笨
Oh, how muddleheaded I am!

连麦苗吃醋我都看不出来
I didn’t know that Mai Miao was jealous of me.

我得想办法哄哄麦苗
I must think up a way to humor her.

我还吃醋了呢 谁来哄我呀
I’m also jealous of someone, but who will humor me?

有我呢
You have me with you.

去上厨房整两道好菜
Go to the kitchen and fix two good dishes

然后再开瓶红酒
and open a bottle of red wine.

我好好哄哄你
Let me do my best to humor you.

你这是哄我呀 明明是宰我嘛
You’re not humoring me; you’re ripping me off.

Hello 你还在生气吗
Hello, are you still angry?

谁啊
Who are you?

我是你的重色轻友的朋友苏珊
This is the gift for you from Susan,

送你的礼物啊
who put love above friendship.

对不起 是我不够细心
I’m sorry that I wasn’t careful enough.

如果我知道你喜欢高歌
Had I known you like Gao Ge,

我绝对不会跟他出去喝咖啡的
I wouldn’t have gone to drink coffee with him.

没有关系
It doesn’t matter.

如果你们真心喜欢对方 我也
If you relaly like each other, I also…

你误会了
You misunderstood us.

他找我来是要练口语
He aske me to go just for praciticing his spoken English

应付考试
to cope with his exam.

那你怎么不早说呢
Why didn’t you tell me sooner?

你一直拿我当情敌
You’ve taken me as your rival all the time.

我哪有机会告诉你这个呢
I had no opportunity to tell you this.

臭苏珊 你怎么不说清楚呢
Oh, Susan, why didn’t you make it clear?

原谅我吗
Did you forgive me?

好吧
Okay.

苏珊 我们考完了
Susan, the exam is over.

是吗 怎么样
Really? How was it?

非常顺利 我得请你吃顿饭
Very successful. I’ll take you to dinner

好好地感谢一下你
to express my gratitude to you.

不用客气 什么时候请
You’re welcome. When is the dinner?

那周末
This weekend.

要么礼拜六 要么礼拜日 随你挑
Either Saturday or Sunday. It’s up to you.

可我周末得打工
But I have to work on weekends.

这样 可以可以
Okay, okay.

不过地点我来定
But you must let me decide on the restaurant.

好 行 打电话
Okay. I’ll give you a call.


Okay.

拜拜
Bye-bye.

***

在汉语中“要么……要么……”格式
In Chinese, the “yaome… yaome…” pattern

表示两个里边只能选择一个
indicates that only one of two choices can be made.

咱们喝白酒还是啤酒
Do we drink liquor or beer?

随便 你说吧
As you please. It’s up to you.

先喝点儿白酒
Let’s drink some liquor first

再来两瓶啤酒
and then two bottles of beer, Okay?

哎 不行 不行 要么白酒 要么啤酒
Oh, no, no. Either liquor or beer.

这两种酒不能掺一块儿喝
We can’t drink them together.

那就喝啤酒吧
Then let’s drink beer.

想好了吗 假期咱们去哪儿
Have you figured out where we’d go for the holiday?

这两条旅游路线我都想去
I’d like both of the two travels routes.

咱们时间不够啊
But we don’t have that much time.

要么去南边 要么去北边
Either down south or up north.

你选一个
Choose one direction.

去南边吧 我跟喜欢有海的地方
Let’s go down south. I like places near the sea.

***

真的吗苏珊 你太伟大了
Really, Susan? You’re so great!

到时候我给你创造机会
I’ll create an opportunity for you then.

你要把握住
You must seize it.

哎呀 虽然我现在心里头没底儿
Oh, although I’m not so sure,

但是我一定会好好把握的
I’ll do all I can to seize it.

苏珊 这个你平时跟高歌接触得比较多
Susan, you have more contacts with Gao Ge.

他喜欢什么样的衣服
What kind of clothes does he like?

还有留什么样的发型呢
And what kind of hairstyle?

蓝色T桖 还有头发嘛
Blue T-shirts. As for his hairstyle,

小平头 长一点儿
He wears a crew-cut, only a bit longer.


Oh.

我说的是他喜欢女孩子留什么样的头发
I mean what kind of hairstyle and dress

穿什么样子的衣服
he likes girls to wear.

你平时这样的样子很好
Just the way you are now.

那可不行
It won’t do.

这么好的机会 我必须好好把握
I must seize this wonderful opportunity.

你等着 我回去哪一些衣服
You wait here. I’ll bring some clothes

你帮我挑一挑
and I want you to help me pick one.

你等着 我一定要打扮得像个淑女
Just wait. I must dress myself like a refined lady.

苏珊 来 帮我挑挑 挑挑
Susan, come on and choose one for me.

看看看看 哎呀
Look, oh!

要么这件粉的 要么这件绿的
Either this pink one or this green one.

好好好 怎么样 淑女吗
Okay. What do you think? Am I a refined lady?

淑女才不会张着嘴大笑
A refined lady never laughs with an open mouth.

她应该这样的
You should smile like this.

苏珊 我问你
Susan, let me ask you.

那个姓高的请你吃饭
That guy named Gao is inviting you to dinner,

你把麦苗带来干什么
but why did you bring Mai Miao here?

麦苗很喜欢他 你不是知道吗
Mai Miao likes him. You know that, right?

可是我喜欢麦苗你也是知道的啊
But you also know I like Mai Miao.

你不能不管我呀
You can’t leave me in the lurch.

对不起呀
I’m sorry.

可是麦苗在我心里比你更重要
But Mai Miao is more important than you in my heart.

暂时顾不上管你 不好意思
I have to ignore you for now. Sorry.


You!

这个还不是最好笑的
This was not most laughable.

最好笑的是去年的运动会上
What was most laughable was the march-in ceremony

医学系的入场式
of the medicine department at last year’s sports meet.

那怎么个好笑法
Why was it so laughable?

所有的队员清一色口罩白大褂
All the members wore a surgical mask and a white smock,

抬着两副人体的骨骼就上场了
carrying two skeletons into the arena.

太逗乐 太幽默了
It was so funny and so humorous!

给您上菜 鱼香肉丝
The dish is ready, fish-flavored shredded pork.

苏珊 我刚才笑得太高行了
Susan, just now I laughed so delightedly.

我眼泪流出来了
I even shed tears.

你看看 我睫毛膏花了没有
Look, did I smear the mascara on my eyelids?

没事儿 放心吧
It doesn’t matter. Don’t worry about it.

对了 你看看我身上有没有果汁
Oh yeah, are there any juice stains on my clothes?

果汁没有
Not any juice.

不过有的是鱼香肉丝
But there is a bit of meat on it.

小勇
Xiaoyong.

鱼香肉丝 吃菜
Eat the fish-flavored port, please.

吃 吃鱼 吃菜
Yes, help yourselves.

Advertisements