Subtitles for Episode 94 – Four-Delight Meatballs

你俩要饿就先吃
You two may eat first if you’re hungry.

我等你舅
I’m waiting for your uncle

哎 回来了
Oh, he is back

老伴 你干什么去了
My dear, where did you go?

我们等你吃饭呢
We’re waiting for you for dinner

去老马家了
I went to Lao Ma’s home

哟 这马大爷给您吃什么好的了
Oh, Uncle Ma must have treated you to some goodies

把 您给撑成这样了
You look so stuffed

不是马大爷
Not Uncle Ma

是马大妈亲自下厨
It was Mrs. Ma who cooked for me

哟 是老马的老伴啊
Oh, it was Lao Ma’s wife

我怎么没听说她做饭好吃呢
But I’ve never heard she is good at cookery

这就叫真人不露相啊
Still water runs deep

那真是不吃不知道
You wouldn’t know because you’ve never eaten anything she cooked

一吃吓一跳啊
You would be surprised if you did

那老马老伴给你做什么好吃的
What nice food did Lao Ma’s wife cook for you?

有那么好吃吗
Was it that delicious?

好吃 尤其是那道四喜丸子
Yes, particularly her meatballs

哎呀 那味道啊
Oh, that was very delicious

我还以为做什么山珍海味呢
I thought you ate some rare delicates

不就是个四喜小丸子嘛
Actually just some small meatballs

不小 有馒头那么大呢
Not small. They were as big as steamed buns

那味道真是让人终身难忘啊
That flavor is just unforgettable

这马大爷可比我有福气哟
Lao Ma is much luckier than I am

你有完没完了
Can you stop talking about that?

不就是个四喜丸子嘛
She just cooked you meatballs

有什么了不起的
No big deal

这么说你也会做
You mean you can also cook the food

我 我让你们见识见识什么叫正宗的四喜丸子
Let me show you what genuine meatballs taste like

不好吃
Not delicious?

我实在是吃不下了
I really can’t eat anymore

被老马老伴的丸子撑着了
You ate too many of the meatballs of Lao Ma’s wife

你宁愿吃人家家做的都不吃我做的
You prefer food cooked by others to food cooked by me

好好好 我尝一口
Okay. Let me take a bite

怎么样
What do you think?

比老马老伴做得好吧
Better than that cooked by Lao Ma’s wife?

这个嘛 不好说
Well, it’s hard to say

“不好说”就是说 您做得没有马家做得好吃
By “bu hao shuo”, he actually means it’s not as delicious as that of the Ma family

什么
What?

换句话说 马家做得比您做得好吃
In other words, Ma’s food is more delicious than yours

你怎么把我心里话都说出来了
How come you spoke out what I wanted to say?

真的
Really?

这说明我的汉语水平又提高了
This means I have improved Chinese proficiency

***

换句话说 马家做得比您做得好吃 Huan ju hua shuo, Ma jia zuo de bi nin zuo de hao chi
In other words, Ma’s food is more delicious than yours

在汉语口语中 “也就是说” 和 “换句话说” 都是表示为了更清楚地说明问题 换一种表达方式的意思
In spoken Chinese, both “ye jiu shi shuo” and “huan ju hua shuo” mean to say in other words or put it another way

***

小勇 今天老师对我说 “不要一口吃成个胖子”
Xiaoyong, my teacher said to me, “Bu yao yi kou chi cheng ge pang zi”

这是什么意思
What does that mean?

你是不是问了老师很多课本以外的问题
Did you ask the teacher a lot of questions beyond the text?

你怎么知道的
How do you know that?

我告诉你吧
Let me tell you

“不要一口吃成个胖子” 换句话说 就是学习上不能太心急
“One mouthful can’t make a fat man”, in other words, means you should not be in haste in your studies

得一步一步来
You have to make progress steadily

***

小伟 罗斯的父母来北京了
Xiaowei, Ross’s parents have come to Beijing

你假装我的男朋友陪我去看看他们好吗
Can you pretend to be my boyfriend and go to see them with me?

假装你的男朋友
Pretend to be your boyfriend?

这事还是让我考虑考虑吧
This is something that requires careful consideration

那你什么时候能考虑好呢
When will you finish your consideration?

苏珊阿姨 我小叔说”考虑考虑” 是在委婉地拒绝你
Aunt Susan, my uncle said “kao lv kao lv” actually to mean that he has euphemistically turned you down

也就是说 他不想跟你去
In other words, he doesn’t want to go with you

***

我今天还给他做四喜丸子
Today I’m going to cook meatballs again

你舅要敢说不好吃 我明天还给他做四喜丸子
If your uncle dares to say they are not delicious, I’ll cook him meatballs again tomorrow

我就不信我做不好
I just don’t believe I can’t cook food well

舅妈 您这是为什么呀
Aunt, why are you so upset?

为了把马夫人比下去
You just want to outstrip Mrs. Ma

是不是
Is it true?

正确
Correct

我还真跟马夫人较上这劲了
I just want to pose a challenge to Mrs. Ma’s cooking skill

我就得让你舅舅知道 我做的不比别人差
I want your uncle to know I’m no worse than anyone else

对 舅妈 我支持你
Right. Aunt, I support you

舅妈 我也支持你
Aunt. I support you, too

好 既然你俩支持我 那你俩就去帮我查一下这个正宗的四喜丸子是怎么做
Good. Since you both support me, would you please go and find out how genuine meatballs are cooked?

肉馅半斤
A half pound of ground meat

确认
Okay

是这些
That’s right

我就不信
I just don’t believe…

我就不信我做不好这四喜丸子
I just don’t believe I can’t cook meatballs well

擦汗
Wipe the sweat

一定好吃
They must be delicious

大功告成
It’s all done

我就不信 咱们精心做的四喜丸子它能不好吃
I just don’t believe out carefully cooked meatballs are not delicious

一定好吃
They must be delicious

我们俩先尝一下
Let us two have a taste first

你舅舅先吃
Let your uncle taste first

天黑下来了
It’s getting dark

老李怎么还不回来
Why hasn’t Lao Li been back yet?

哎 老伴
Eh, honey

你干吗去了
Where did you go?

老马家去了
I went to Lao Ma’s place

又去吃人家丸子
Did you eat their meatballs again?

没吃 老马老伴让我给带回来了
No. Lao Ma’s wife gave me some for me to bring home

她怎么这么关心你啊
Why does she care so much about you?

都是街坊邻居的
We’re neighbors

她知道我喜欢吃这四喜丸子
She knows I like eating meatballs

就特意做的 让我带回来了
So she cooked some especially for me to bring home

来来来 你也尝尝
Come on, taste one

不尝
No, I don’t want

尝一口嘛 学习学习
Have a taste so that you can learn

今天还不知道谁跟谁学习呢
You may not know who has to learn from whom today

看 这是我做的
Look, they are the meatballs I cooked

又做丸子了
You cooked meatballs again?

你说我做得不好嘛
You said my meatballs were not delicious

所以我要天天练习
So I have to practice cooking meatballs everyday

还挺执着
You are so persistent

这个色泽嘛确实有进步
There is some improvement in the color

其实昨天的也不错
Those you cooked yesterday were not bad either

别啰嗦 你尝一尝
Don’t be garrulous. Have a taste

对不对 尝一尝
Yes, I’ll taste

怎么样啊
What do you think?

确实有进步
There is improvement indeed

那比起老马老伴做到呢
How do you compare the food to that of Lao Ma’s wife?

那这话还实在不好说
Well, it’s still hard to say

各有特色吧
Each has its own merits

我就要一句话
I just want one sentence

比老马老伴做的怎么样
Are my meatballs as delicious as Mrs.Ma’s?

说实话 没有
To be frank, no

你会不会品菜
You don’t know how to taste food

你别着急呀
Don’t be upset

可能是因为老马老伴做得实在太好吃了 所以
Probably the meatballs cooked by Mrs Ma are really very delicious, so…

所以你更爱吃她做的
So you prefer to eat her meatballs, right?

不不 所以我就特爱吃你做的
No. so I prefer to eat the meatballs you cooked

她这个做的 我今天不吃了
Today I won’t eat the meatballs she cooked

我就吃你做这个
I’ll eat what you cooked

我还不给你吃了呢
I won’t let you eat them

怎么那么饿呢
Why. I’m so hungry

有什么吃的呢 来来来
Is there anything good to eat? Come over here

四喜丸子
Meatballs

来来来 筷子
Come on. Chopsticks

哎呀 四喜丸子
Wow, meatballs

哇 怎么那么好吃啊
Wow, it’s so delicious!

和昨天的大不一样
It tastes different from that we ate yesterday

没想到舅妈的厨艺提高得那么快
To my surprise, Aunt’s cooking skill has improved so quickly

吃什么呢
What are they eating

这不吃不知道
You won’t know how delicious it is unless you eat it

一吃吓一跳
You’ll be surprised after you eat it

说什么呢这俩
What are you talking about?

舅妈 您就别谦虚了
Aunt, don’t be so modest

我谦虚 怎么回事
Am I modest? What is it all about?

把我说糊涂了
You get me confused

你这丸子和昨天做的大不一样
The meatballs you cooked today are far different from those you cooked yesterday

就像两个人做的
They taste like they are cooked by someone else

你们吃这个了
You ate these meatballs?

这个是老马家做的
They are the ones cooked by Mrs Ma

我的在冰箱里呢
The meatballs I cooked are in the refrigetator

那 这个真的好吃
Well, are they really very delisioius?

舅妈 这不是您做的 肯定不好吃
Aunt, they are not cooked by you, so they are definitely not delicious

好吃 你尝一尝
They are delicious. Have a taste

哟 他们怎么做的
Oh, how did they cook them?

还真的好吃
It’s really delicious

您别着急 先冷静下来
Take it easy. Calm down first

咱再慢慢想办法
Let’s take our time to find out a method

他们为什么做得这么好吃啊
Why did they cook the meatballs so deliciously?

我的去问问
I have to go and find out

给我一点
Leave a bit for me

哎呀
Oh!
您别着急, 先冷静下来, 咱们一块儿想想办法 Nin bie zhao ji, xian leng jing xia lai, zan men yi kuair xiang xiang ban fa
Take it easy. Calm down first. Let’s figure out what to do together

在汉语中”下来” 还可以用在某些动词或形容词的后边 表示从动态转入静态 或者某种状态开始出现并继续发展
In Chinese, “xia lai” can be used after some verbs and adjectives and means the transition from a mobile state to stationary state, or the appearance and continuous development of certain situation

爸爸 火车怎么慢下来了
Dad, why the train has slowed down?

可能是要进站了
Probably it’s going to enter a train station

爸爸 咱们还有多长时间才能到桂林呢
Dad, how much longer does it take to get to Guilin?

还有四五个小时吧
About four to five more hours

***

小伟 我看你整天忙来忙去的
Xiaowei, I see you’re busy all day long

你都在忙什么呀
What are you busy with

忙工作呗
I’m busy with my work

你找到工作了
Did you get a job?

我的工作就是跟摄影有关的一切事情
My job is anything that is relevant to photography

小伟 你都快三十岁了
Xiaowei, you’re nearly 30 years old

应该定下心来找一份固定工作好好做了
You ought to make up your mind and find a job and do it well

我觉得像我现在这样 当一个自由业者挺好的
I think it’s pretty good to be a freelancer like myself

***

来 大家都来尝尝我做到四喜丸子
Come on, everybody have a taste of the meatballs I cooked

闻这好香
It smells so good

这味道看起来不错
They look delicious

老伴 你尝尝
My dear, have a taste

这可是我从老马家拿到的秘方做的
I cooked them with the secret recipe of the Ma family

舅舅 怎么样
Uncle, what do you think?

简直是太好吃了
It’s simply so delicious

那跟老马家的比呢
What is you compare them to those of the Ma family?

这回你做得要比老马家做得好吃多了
What you cooked is much more delicious than that of the Ma family

真的
Really?

这真是青出于蓝而胜于蓝
The pupil excels the teacher

这种人间美味也就你能做出来
It’s only you who can cook this most delicious food in the world

你不是净捡好听的说吧
You chose only the nice words for me to hear

真的
It’s true

以后我就不用再去马家 吃那个四喜丸子了
From now on, I don’t need to go to Ma’s place to eat their meatballs

你尝尝 麦苗尝尝这味道比马家做得好吃多了
Have a taste, Mai Miao it tasted much more delicious than that of the Ma family

麦苗 你快尝尝
Susan, come on have a taste

好好 我来尝尝
Okay. Let me have a taste

怎么样
What do you think?

好吃
It’s delicious

好吃好吃
It’s delicious It’s delicious

还是没有马家做得好吃
It isn’t as delicious as that of the Ma family

苏珊
Susan!

哎呀 我吃过两次了
Oh, I’ve eaten twice

我有经验
I’m experienced now

苏珊
Susan…

苏珊 你接着说
Susan, go on

舅妈 我认为你做得确实很好吃
Aunt, I think the food you cooked is delicious indeed

很有进步
And you’ve made some improvement

但是
But

但是还是没有马家做得好吃
But it isn’t as delicious as that of the Ma family

只要你继续努力 一定会比马家做得好吃
So long as you pesist in your effort, you’ll definitely cook better than Mrs Ma

老伴 你听我说啊
My dear, listen to me

你别着急啊
Don’t worry

要不你把我轰出去得了
Or you just drive me out

回来 谁说要轰你了
Come back. Who says I want to drive you out

我是要感谢你们
I’m just grateful to you guys

感谢
Grateful?

嗯 你是为了让我开心 说出了善意的谎言
Yes. Just to make me happy, you told me a white lie

可是事实就是事实
But a fact is a fact

我真的没有老马家做得好吃
I really don’t cook as well as Mrs Ma

我服气了
Now I’m convinced

老伴啊 你真是了不起
My dear, you’re just great

舅妈 您是最棒的
Aunt, you’re the best

我再给你们做
I’ll cook you meatballs again

Advertisements