Subtitles for Episode 96 – Class Reunion

哎呀 老班长啊
Oh, my old monitor,

你可是干了一件大好事啊
you’ve really done a great thing.

没问题 你放心啊
No problem. Rest assured

同学聚会到时候我肯定参加
I’ll definitely attend the get-together of our old classmates.

反正这两天也是闲着
Anyway I’ll be free in the next couple of days.

老班长 你再努努力
My old monitor, please do your best

争取把咱们那个班花王淑芬找到
to get hold of our class belle Wang Shufan.

好好好 再见
Okay, see you soon.

四十年后再聚首
A reunion after 40 years!

沧海桑田呢
There must have been tremendous changes.

我看你挺兴奋的嘛
Look, how excited you are!

当年的男孩女孩朝气蓬勃
The once vigorous boys and girls

现在都混成老头老太太了
now have all turned into graybeards and crones.

爸爸 你们班那个王淑芬
Dad, I guess Wang Shufen

现在估计年龄跟我妈也差不多大吧
is about the same age as my mom!

该同学一向不要求进步
This classmate of mine was never politically progressive

成天就知道臭美
and all she was concerned about was her looks.

她能不能来 我不感兴趣
I don’t care whether she would come or not.

喂 哎呀 老班长
Hello, oh, my old monitor!

这电话怎么又打来了
Why are you calling me again?

让我猜又联系到谁了
You want me to guess whom else yo’ve got hold of?

能让我大吃一惊
It must be a big surprise for me.

那肯定是那个谁吧
It mus be that person.

什么 老刘要回来
What? Lao Liu is going to come?

你没搞错吧
Did you get it wrong?

哎哟 这个单位刚才来了个急活
Oh, I’ve just got an urgent task from my unit.

同学聚会能不能参加
I’m not sure if I’ll be able to attend this reunion.

这个到时候再说吧
I think we have to talk about it later.

老刘是谁呀
Who is Lao Liu?

怎么一下让您晴转阴了就
Why have you turned downcast all of a sudden?

这个老刘啊大名叫刘国庆
This Lao Liu is called Liu Guoqing.

是我的老对头了
He used to be my archrival in class.

个头长得比我高
He was taller than I.

他长得还比我帅
He was also more handsome.

学习比我好
He was better at school work than I was.

跑得还比我快
And he ran faster than I did.

那这么说 想当年李文茂同志
This means Comrade Li Wenmao in those years

是远远不如人家了
was far inferior to Mr. Liu.

做人要厚道 心胸要开阔
You should be kind and magnanimous.

这能怪我吗
I’m not to blame.

这个老刘在外地是多少年了
Lao Liu left Beijing many years ago.

很少回来
He was seldom come back ever since.

偏偏这个时候他跳出来了
Isn’t his emergence right at this moment

他这不是成心捣乱嘛
intended to make trouble for me?

同学聚会 联络感情
Old classmates meet to renew old friendship.

许您参加不许人家参加呀
You can participate. Why don’t you want him to participate?

反正有他没我 有我没他
Anyway, I will not attend it if he comes.

哟 很有骨气嘛
Huh, what a man of integrity you are!

同学聚会少了我
Without my presence,

那它还有什么意思呀
the reunion would be far less interesting.

让他们失落去吧
And let them feel ths loss.

你看看这包子成什么样子了
Look, what kind of baozi are you making?

馅饼
A meat pie.

真是儿女正当好年华呀
Yes, we were all in our prime.

李丽文 刘国庆 刘国庆
Li Liwen. Liu Guoqing! Liu Guoqing!

好你个老刘啊
Oh, dear me, Lao Liu.

哎哟 李文茂
Hi, Li Wenmao.

刘国庆 你还认识我呀
Liu Guoqing, you still recognize me?

当然认得了
Of course.

上学那会儿咱俩打兵乓球
When we were at school, I always beat you three zero

我每次都是三比零赢你
when we played table tennis.

那是我没好好打
That’s because I didn’t try hard enough.

数学考试 每次我考一百分
In every math test, I scored 100.

你呢 只考六七十分
And you scored only 50 to 70.

那是我没好好学
That’s because I didn’t study hard enough.

还记得初中毕业的时候
I still remember when we graduated from junior high,

那时候我都快一米八了
I was almost 1.8 meters tall.

你呢还不到一米七
But you were less than 1.7 meters.

那是我没好好长
That’s because I didn’t grow well.

你怎么老提当年勇呢
Why are you talking about your past glories all the time?

好 咱们说说现在
Well, let’s talk about the present.

你看看你这 都成什么样子
Look, how pathetic you are now!

我活得非常幸福
I’m living very happily.

小儿子到现在还没有工作
Your youngest son hasn’t got a job,

四处晃悠
loafing around all day long.

你跟你老伴儿没有什么共同语言是不是
You and your wife have no common language, right?

几十年的夫妻
We’ve been married for decades.

平平淡淡才是真
A bland life is real happiness.

我就不信你和老伴儿
I just don’t believe you and your wife

还能够如胶似漆
are still deeply attached to each other.

难道你忘了 我老伴儿早没了
Did you forget my wife died long ago?


Oh.

本人现在娶了一位娇妻
Now I have a much younger wife.

我这位娇妻温柔可爱 小鸟依人
She is gentle and lovely like an endearing little bird,

让我燃起了熊熊的爱情之火
rekinding my passions of love.


Bah!

看到别人幸福 你心里就不痛快
Seeing other people live happily makes you unhappy.

这就是你 李文茂
That’s you, Li Wenmao!

老刘 你 你要气死我呀你
Lao Liu, you really pissed me off!

又念叨你那个同学老刘呢
Why, ​​you’re muttering your old classmate Lao Liu again.

这个老刘啊他给我幼小的心灵
Lao Liu cast a big shadow

留下太多的阴影了
on my young heart.

所以我说你这次一定要去
That’s why I said you must attend the reunion.

而且体体面面地去
and attend it with dignity.

让他们看看现在的李文茂
Let them see how Li Wenmao today.

再说了 你还能有几次同学聚会啊
Besides, how many more classmates reunions will you have?

估计也就这一次了
I guess this is the last.

三十年河东 三十年河西
Every god has his day.

现在的李文茂可不是以前的李文茂
Li Wenmao today is no longer the Li Wenmao of yesterday.

你现在是著名编剧呀
You’re now a famous playwright.

没准你那些同学还看过你的戏
Some of your old classmates might have seen your plays.

还唱过你的戏呢
or even sung some of the arias.

哎 要真是那样
Oh, if that’s true.

那我老李得多有脸面呢
how proud and dignified I will be!

所以 你一定要去
So you must go.

老刘他不敢小看你
Lao Liu wouldn’t dare to look down upon you.

听老伴儿一广话呀我茅塞顿开呀
What yuou said has really enlightened me.

给我挑一身漂亮的衣服
Choose an impressive suit for me.

那时候我老李要闪亮登场
I want to make a brilliant show of myself.

哎哟
Oh!

对不起
I’m sorry.

这可是我新买的衣服
This is what I bought you very recently.

成什么样子了
How shabby it looks now!

***

Nǐ kànkàn zhè bāozi
你 看看 这 包子,

chéng shénme yàngzi le!
成 什么 样子 了!

How awful these buns look!

【成什么样子了】

在汉语口语中“成什么样子了”
In spoken Chinese, “chéng shénme yàngzi le”

一般用来表示责备
is used to express a reproach.

乐乐 我不是不让你带同学回家玩儿
Le Le, I don’t mean you shouldn’t have brought your classmates here to play.

但是今天
But today…

今天我们玩儿得很高兴
Today we had a very good time!

你看看你的房间 成什么样子了
Look, what a mess your room is!

简直就像垃圾堆似的
It’s just like a dumpsite.

妈 我知道错了
Mom, I know it’s my fault.

我这就去收拾
Now I’m going to tidy up the room.

哎哟 你慢点儿
Opps! Be careful!

对不起 对不起
I’m sorry. I’m sorry.

我这刚买的瓜
This is my newly bought watermelon.

你看看 都成什么样子了
But look, what has become of it!

实在对不起 我赔您一个吧
I’m terribly sorry. Let me buy you a new one.

***

我就说这件衣服不合适
Just as I said it isn’t suitable for me.

你看我 穿成什么样子了这
It is out of shape now.

我看挺好的 挺合适的
I think it is pretty good and suitable for you.

哎 爸爸 您穿这身衣服
Eh, Dad, in this suit,

我觉得起码年轻十岁
You look ten years younger.

有点儿返老还童那意思
You seem to have returned to your boyhood.

我可不想返老还童啊
I don’t want to return to my boyhood.

返老还童 还接着还老刘欺负我
If I did, Lao liu would continue to ride roughshod over me.

那不行
I don’t like that.

麦苗你说 这身衣服怎么样
Mai Miao, what do you think of this outfit?

还行 就是这鞋有点儿别扭
It’s okay. But only the shoes look a bit out of place.

也不是鞋的问题
No, there’s nothing wrong with the shoes.

那是裤子
The problem is the trousers.

也不像裤子的问题
No, there’s nothing wrong with the trousers either.

那是
The problem lies…

是人的问题
In me myself?

不不不 不是舅舅
No, no, not you, Uncle.

什么都别说了 换
No more talking. Change it for a new one.

你说你这一会儿换了几身衣服了
In just this short while, how many outfits have you tried on?

舅舅 您别听我的
Uncle, don’t take my advice.

我这眼光不准
My judgement isn’t reliable.

大家说好就是好
You should also consider other’s opinions.

别听我的
Ignore what I said.

麦苗 我还是就相信你的眼光
Mai Miao, I only trust your judgement.

舅舅呢就想这次穿得年轻一点儿
I just want to be dressed a bit younger.

时尚一点儿
and a bit more fashionable.

为了给班花王淑芬看
Just for wang Shufen to see?

瞎说 人家根本就不去
Nonsense! She will not attend it at all.

要不这么着爸爸
Well, Dad,

您穿我那身西服 那显年轻
how about wearing my suit? It will make you look younger.

你那衣服多大
Your jacket is too big.

我穿身上那不成大挂了
If I wore it, it would look like an overcoat.

是挺像大挂的
It would certainly resemble an overcoat.

还有没有其他的方案
Do you have any other options?

要不这么着 您穿小伟刚买那套
Well, I suggest you wear Xiaowei’s clothes.

得了吧
Forget it.

小伟那衣服浑身上下都是窟窿
Xiaowei’s clothes are dotted with holes.

上大街上还不让人围观呢
Walking on the street, I’d attract a lot of onlookers.

你这也不行 那也不行
None of our suggestions satifies you.

干脆 别去
You’d better simply not attend the party.

你昨天还鼓励我呢
Yesterday you still encouraged me.

那谁知道你换身衣服那么复杂呀
Who knows getting changed is so complicated?

舅舅 要我说啊您就穿运动服去
Uncle, in my opinion, you’d better go in a gym outfit.

这运动服老少皆宜
Sportswear is suitable for both the old and the young.

穿上就显得活力四射
Wearing it, you’ll look very energetic.

这个主意好
It’s a good idea.

您想啊您穿一身运动服
Just imagine wearing a gym outfit.

戴一棒球帽 是吧 在门口一站
and a baseball cap and standing at the doorway,

完全就是一倒票的黄牛党来了
you’ll certainly look like a scalper of tickets.

还别说 就这身了
You bet. I’ll just wear this.

我李文茂穿上够另类
Wearing it, I’ll look very outstanding.

舅舅 别忘了刮胡子
Uncle, don’t forget to shave.

要不是你提醒我就忘了
I’d really forget it if you didn’t remind me.

你爸出去这么久了
Your dad has gone for quite a while.

怎么还不回来呀
Why hasn’t he come back yet?

老同学聚会嘛
It is an old classmates’ reunion.

四十年没见了
They haven’t seen each other for 40 years.

还不好好聊
They would certainly have a long chat.

我倒不怕他聊 我是他出事儿
I’m not afraid of his chatting. I’m afraid he may get into trouble.

他喝了酒他就跟人家逞能
Whenever he gets drunk, he is likely to put on a silly slowoff.

尤其在这老刘面前
Especially in front of Lao Liu,

弄不好还得拼酒
he might compete with him in drinking capacity.

上次跟人家喝酒
When he drunk with someone last time,

要不是我拦着 他就喝醉了
he would have got drunk if I hadn’t stopped him.

***

Xiā shuō, rénjiā gēnběn jiù bù qù.
瞎 说, 人家 根本 就 不 去。
Nonsense! He just refused to go.

【瞎说】

“瞎说”的意思是说话没有根据
“Xiā shuō” means to talk nonsense.

在汉语口语中
In spoken Chinese,

它可以用来表示否定对方的话
it is usually said to someone close to you

一般用于关系比较近的人之间
to express your disagreement with them.

这是谁干的
Who did this?

吃完了也不收拾
The leftovers haven’t been cleared away!

肯定是小伟
It must be Xiaowei!

小伟 这方便面是你吃的吧
Xiaowei, did you eat the instant noodles?

瞎说 我从来不吃方便面
Nonsense, I never eat instant noodles!

那是谁吃的
Who atte the food?

我哪儿知道
How could I know?

小高
Xiao Gao,

昨天我在地铁站看见你和一个小伙子
yesterday I saw you walking with a young man at the subway station.

没来得及打招呼车就来了
But before I could say hello to you, the train arrived.

小高 那是你男朋友吧
Xiao Gao, was he your boyfriend?

什么时候带来让我们看看
When would you bring him here for us to see?

瞎说 那是我的一个老同学
Nonsense! He is one of my former classmates,

一般朋友
just an ordinary friend.

哟 脸都红了
Hey, you’re blushing.

说是一般朋友我可不信
Is he an ordinary friend? I jsut don’t believe it.

***

妈 你说我爸到现在还没回来
Mom, why, my dad hasn’t been back.

不会跟刘叔叔争起来了吧
Do you think he would quarrel with Uncle Liu?

你说他跟刘叔叔比
He is in no position to compare to Uncle Liu.

人头没人高 长得没人帅
He is not as tall and handsome as Liu.

几杯酒一下肚是吧 精神头一来
After a few glasses of wine, he would certainly get excited.

再加上我爸那脾气
Plus his irascible temperament,

他会不会跟人家刘叔叔打起来呀
would he have a flight with Uncle Liu?

关键他还没人跑得快
The crux of the matter is that he doesn’t run as fast as Liu.

就是 也不给家来个电话
Indeed. He should have given us a call by now.

千杯无盏会应酬
I can manage thousands of glass of wine.

怎么喝成这样了
How come you got so drunk like this?

我难受啊
I’m so sad!

爸爸 您没挨凑吧
Dad, did he hit you?

伤着哪儿了
Are you okay?

我这是同学会
It was a gathering of old classmates.

又不是鸿门宴
It wan’t a Hongmen Feast.

老伴儿
My old man,

你在那聚会上没跟人老刘争起来吧
did you have a quarrel with Lao Liu at the party?

老刘啊现在太可怜了
Lao Liu is now very pathetic.

晚年凄凉啊
He is very lonely in his old age.

他是挣了点儿钱
Sure, he earned some money.

可是身体累垮了
But his health has broken down completely.

几杯酒下肚
After drinking only a few glasses,

他就醉得东倒西歪的了
he got so drunk that he couldn’t stand steadily.

他木来工作就忙
He is very busy with his work.

跟那个后老伴儿又感情不合
He is at loggerheads with his second wife.

这日子能过舒服得了吗
Can he live a comfortable life?

就当年他那帅哥那样子
Not a bit of his former handsomeness

现在是一点影子都没有了
has remained.

我看着他心里难受
I’m really very sad for him.

喝酒的时候啊
When he was drinking,

他一个劲儿地说羡慕我
he kept saying that he admired me.

老伴儿啊 他还夸了你一通
My old woman, he also praised you.

夸我
Did he?

夸你是贤妻良母
He said you were a good wife and loving mother.

夸我kbifmrw气
and that I was very lucky.

我仔细一想啊
Contemplating what he said,

我真是挺有福气的
I do feel very lucky.

有了你我就幸福
I’m happy to have you with me.

有你我就最幸福
I’m the happiest man to have you with me.

大伟 给我倒杯水
Dawei, fill me a glass of water.

醉得不轻啊
He is obviously blind drunk.

看来舅舅把四十年的酒都喝了
It seems Uncle has drunk all the wine he should have drunk in the last 40 years.

您做好在您怀里醉四十年的准备啊
You should get prepared that he would remain drunk for 40 years in your arms.

老刘 咱老哥俩再来三杯
Lao Liu, let’s drink another three glasses.

还喝呢
He still wants to drink?

Advertisements